Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
allanm,

Just a quick question, when you bought your season pass did you use a credit card or did you need to pay in € from a french bank acc? Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
roche1800, UK Credit Card
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
allanm wrote:
roche1800, UK Credit Card
allanm,

Well that's a brilliant result! Out of curiosity what do you do regards insurance, if anything?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
roche1800, There loads of threads on insurance here, but as a direct reply to your question, I personally use this.
The additional insurance, I believe some take out (not me) is here.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
allanm, thanks for this, i dont bother! But I will have a look just to see how much. rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just booked to head to Les Arcs 2000 on 7th Jan - v excited!! We went skiing in Alpe d'Duez in mid April last year. Whilst we had a fun time and loved the resort, the snow was somewhat lacking so hoping we actually get to be a bit cold this year!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
peezafreeza, welcome to snowHeads snowHead and good luck at Les Arcs in Jan.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
roche1800, if you ski off piste you really need to get either Carte neige (season) or Carrie neige (daily).

allanm, the American Express cover DOES NOT include off piste unless you are with a 'QUALIFIED' guide see your policy wording under the section, 'special conditions' winter sports. They do not even cover you when skiing with SCGB leaders who ARE NOT qualified guides off piste. Sorry mate, if you are coming off piste with me this winter you MUST get Carte Neige for the season as the French Mountain police are getting very hot on people skiing off piste without proper Insurance.

DamonST, if you take your Ski pass to the lift office where you are staying they will add the carrie neige for all the days that your pass is valid for. Last year I think it was about 2.50 Euro per day. If you have any problem with Neilson over this let me know by private PM and I will try to help.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowcrazy wrote:
roche1800... you MUST get Carte Neige for the season as the French Mountain police are getting very hot on people skiing off piste without proper Insurance..

Oh... Is insurance in Les Arcs a legal requirement now, I missed that - any idea what the penalties are.. any more information?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No way! I have never had insurance apart from thro aplp, and frankly not fussed as have had first hand experience of nlt being covered when you think you are!

Bring it on for snow police, take they ski like a Gendarm in his Renault (thinking of the Italian Job)

Hmmmmmm
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowcrazy, many thanks for that last observation. I bought an American Express Prestige policy last year precisely because it DID cover skiing off piste without specifying the need for a guide AND did not limit the number of days cover during the insured periods.

I have just had the renewal notice and your comment prompted me to read the small print about winter sports - you are absolutely right and I shall be ringing them in the morning to inform them I will not be renewing. The off piste thing doesn't much bother me - I do very little off piste and only on very gentle slopes, far from any avalanche risk (yes, I know, I know.....) but the limit on days winter sports is a killer for me. I do always have Carte Neige as well, but the Amex policy just won't do now.

So, it's back to the drawing board. Might have to go back to SCGB.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowcrazy wrote:
DamonST, if you take your Ski pass to the lift office where you are staying they will add the carrie neige for all the days that your pass is valid for. Last year I think it was about 2.50 Euro per day. If you have any problem with Neilson over this let me know by private PM and I will try to help.

Excellent Chris, thank you very much.

Just to add for anyone looking at single trip insurance (cos frankly the list of things to look for in the small print is baffling), I found that overall Direct Travel covered the majority of the essentials with decent levels of benefits for a pretty reasonable price. The policy also includes off piste (happily without any mention of a guide in the policy wording) and medical evacuation by "the most appropriate transport" - by my reasoning the most appropriate transport would be whatever the attending pisteur deemed necessary. Oh, and for an additional premium you can add Natural Catastrophe cover - for those of you who haven't already forgotten about the Icelandic volcano fiasco.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 9-11-11 20:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, I may be wrong but I think ski club insurance is the same underwriter as Dog Tag Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, I think a few policies changed the wording in or around August this year. Thankfully I bought mine last April.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, have you looked at http://www.barclays.co.uk/PremierBanking/P1242557952563

they cover off piste but they cover 180 concecative days plus a year as well as loads of other stuff
snow conditions
livetoski, am I reading the wrong document - I found it quite hard to get a summary of the policy but it seems to say

Quote:
Cover is provided for winter sports activities for a maximum of
31 days in total in any consecutive 12 month period.

Also says trips limited to 31 days.
ski holidays
pam w, sorry wrong link its on this one, for the Life account, there is a download which give the details

http://barclays.co.uk/PremierBanking/SummaryofPremierLifebenefits/P1242561497877

hope I am getting this one right Toofy Grin
ski holidays
livetoski, that was the one I eventually found and quoted. I do think it's very bad when you get a renewal notice which does not specify which bits of small print have been changed since last year. I'm fed up with this hunt for insurance. Sad Anyway, i don't have an income of anything like £75K a year! I'm an old age pensioner, for goodness' sake. wink
latest report
pam w, OK sorry there is a section which quotes 180 days plus travel, but I dont do 31 day trips skiing so maybe never looked into that part. It is a great policy tho as it covers loads of stuff, which if you add up all the insurance you pay does make sense, anyways I get it through the work side so its a bit of a cheat for me.
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

no such thing as an OAP anymore according to our goverment, we are all going to live to 150 and have to work until we are at least 100
latest report
pam w, I haven't yet looked at the small print, as my Direct Travel policy doesn't expire until April, but I'm hoping to be able to renew with them (good terms for off piste, as DamonST says, and they cover geriatrics) by taking out an annual policy to cover 17 days' skiing and then topping up with trip insurance as necessary - and that shouldn't, for me, be necessary more than once. Might that be a solution for you?
snow report
Guys, I've started a thread here on Amex policy changes, we'll end up with pages on insurance.... Sad
latest report
Hi allanm, thanks for starting the new thread for Insurance, maybe next time I shall just not share info about stuff like that here if it is going to set everyone off.

On a snow related topic, has anyone been looking at the webcams or been out in resort. Did the new snow arrive as they said it might. I hope so. Les Arcs opens on 10 December so only a month to go and counting. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
snowcrazy, Can you answer the question about what powers French Mountain Police have re insisting you have insurance? Doesn't quite fit with ideas of liberte.
ski holidays
fatbob, as allanm, has started a thread for Insurance, if you put the question on that thread I will try and give a few details from my experiences in general to help everyone understand the need for Insurance, but I do not want to get this thread mixed up with all the Insurance chat. If you want to read case details you can also go to my facebook group page for Les Arcs, not the Winter page where loads of stuff about that topic were posted some time ago.

Let's keep this to general stuff about Les Arcs not French law which is a minefiield.

I just looked at the webcams and the snow limit seems to be around 2800 (at the top of the Varet Gondola) with blue skies today. Hope the promised snow next week arrives. Still early days, I was skiing powder at the start of December last year at 1600m. But we all know what happened after that so you can never really guess what will happen.
snow report
snowcrazy, Do you know whether the current temperatures at resort level are cold enough for the snow to stay if there is another dump?
snow report
Based on what someone just told me that lives there. Nope, only cold enough high up above 2500m, but it is getting colder. Fingers crossed Very Happy
snow report
Natural snowline still well over 2000m, temperatures above 10deg at resort levels.
latest report
Out in 1950 for the day (!) on Monday - assessment centre for new resort manager. Will take a few piccys and report back.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It appears you can only buy season passes at lesarcs.com. Is there a link somewhere i've missed where you can buy 8 day passes etc???. Also does anyone know where you can buy passes online, and have them sent to the uk? (so you can use the funicular on the way up for free!! Smile

Cheers
latest report
dsmart, If you are buying the full Paradiski 8 day pass you can buy it online from the La Plagne website, the last time I looked at the Les Arcs website I could only see season passes for sale.
I have a separate thread about buying passes for La Plagne and Paradiski here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=81248&highlight=
I will update that when I find out if it is possible to buy other than season passes on the Les Arcs website.
snow report
skichampcouk, Thanks for your help. we're just after les Arcs passes.
snow report
snowcrazy, so I've asked the question on the Amex thread. Thanks
ski holidays
I am trying to put all I know about Les Arcs at www.simon-lesarcs.blogspot.com
@SimonMAtkinson
snow conditions
SimonArc1800, keep the snow news coming once the season starts. snowHead
latest report
SimonArc1800 wrote:
I am trying to put all I know about Les Arcs at www.simon-lesarcs.blogspot.com
@SimonMAtkinson

Why? It's all here on snowheads already?..... if it ain't here -> Bertie Basset's thread it probably isn't worth knowing.

And of course... Snowcrazy Chris and all things Les Arcs on Facebook

and right here.. of course!
ski holidays
All these different lift passes are really all the same one. The only difference is where you buy it.

If you are on the Les Arcs side you should buy it at the Les Arcs link. If you are on the La Plagne side you should buy it at one of their sites. The owners pass this year from Nivianalps and Edenski are the same as the one on the Les Arcs web page, same price same conditions etc. You do not need to be an owner anymore to buy a season pass at the discounted price before end November.

The Les Arcs link for everyone on that side is below, then just follow the online instructions. If you are in Peisey Vallandry then you might be better off using their link. Check their web page yourself.

The main Les Arcs link is: http://lesarcs.paradiski.com/

The reason you are better off using the link where you are staying is simple. If you have a problem you might have to go to the office where the pass is issued from to sort the problem out, so if you are in Les Arcs it is a long way to go to La Plagne centre where the main office on that side is based and vice versa if your pass is not working or even if they will let you ski across.

For other than a season passes in Les Arcs, just wait, the link will be up after the pre-season sales period is nearing the end. That is the way they work. Hope that helps you all and makes it easier to understand.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 13-11-11 20:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
ricfrench wrote:
livetoski, Hi, first time in feb half term in Arcs 1800, can't wait, anyway I've kinda checked out ESF and Arcs Adventure for schooling, ESF is a little cheaper but not by much(at the moment though AA are only showing 2010/11 prices). You do hear about ESF sometimes, not always having some arrogance/attitude issues which,as adults, we could deal with but with an 8 yr old boy as well we do need to try to make sure its fun and instructional for him. Are any of them guaranteed English speaking? And is the instruction of any better quality for the slightly higher fee?.
There are 3 of us, my wife, this will be her third week, she is a very competent beginner(beginning parallel, ski'd Andorran red for first time), my 8 yr old son who thinks he is Bodie Miller(did very well in Andorran higher intermediate group, first black run). And me who IS Bodie Miller Laughing (Again, competent upto black, never really done off piste).
Any personal input from anybody would be very helpful.

Esf in les arcs are pretty good. All speak English pretty much. AA smaller, will have fewer classes for kids. A bit less formal. The instructors are all qualified to same level and many of AA ones are ex-ESF. On balance I'd go ESF for collective lessons, AA for private
snow report
Arctic Roll wrote:
Out in 1950 for the day (!) on Monday - assessment centre for new resort manager. Will take a few piccys and report back.

Good luck............. if you get the job we are out there on 14th January 2012 an upgrade would be greatly appreciated wink. Joking aside that has to be the ultimate dream job and I genuinely wish you the very best of luck.
ski holidays
SimonArc1800, welcome to snowheads and the Les Arcs season thread. I presume you are doing a season here in Les Arcs. What will you be doing working or just hanging out. As you have in your title Arc 1800 I guess you are basing yourself at that station. If you fancy meeting up for a beer send me a PM, otherwise I am sure at some time I will see you in Bar-King-Mad. If you like off piste boarding or skiing then let me know and we can go do some riding maybe

ricfrench, and anyone else intersted in ski or snowboard lessons. When it comes to both ESF and Arc Adventure, not all the Instructors do speak English, in fact quite a few do not. This is the same in all ski schools in Les Arcs and you should always ask for an English speaking Instructor for yourself and/or your kids if you do not want to end up with a French lesson. For groups it can be very difficult in high season French holidays as the groups in all but Arc 1950 are mainly French kids. If anyone looking for private lessons sends me a PM i will try and put you in touch with someone that does speak good English.

allanm, I think Bertie bassets thread is a bit dated now, he did only do one season here and it was some time ago now.

For anyone wanting the daily updates once the lifts open I will be posting them each morning on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page (public access) at about 8.30am same as last year. Just remember to change your link to the one below in the signature. I will also put a summary here but not always as quickly, depends what time I need to be on the hill.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 13-11-11 20:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
snowcrazy wrote:

allanm, I think Bertie bassets thread is a bit dated now, he did only do one season here and it was some time ago now.

Really? So what's different two years on?.. apart from the Squirrel's changed hands and the Arpette lift?
There's a lot of good info there on LA.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 13-11-11 21:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy