Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
We're off on 18 December for a week at Club Med. I've been muchly cheered up by the addition of white stuff on the webcams! I keep an eye on the La Plagne 360 cam because it seems to be a bit better than some of the Les Arcs ones - not unless someone has a few goodies to try? I've checked out the cams on Les Arcs.net but one of them isn't even up-to-date... Anyhoo, keep it coming... Razz
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Guys..

Just bought Paradiski season pass from here, 689€ - up [only] 9€ on last year. This also gives you (amongst other things perhaps) two days at each of EK & 3V including free car parking (well it did last year). This is equivalent to about 16 days or so paradiski pass at non-discounted prices - most will get discount of some type, but worth considering if you're out for more than a couple of weeks.

Just been speaking to some Les Arcs 'locals' and was told with some certainty, that this year, Christmas Day in Vallandry will definitely be a powder day - after 4 days of unrelenting blizzards culminating in some 15 feet at resort, and completely bottomless at the top of the Derby. This excellent news swayed me to book an apartment in Vallandry for Christmas and best part of January - I'm not missing that.

Also been told that they have repaired the hole in the Vallandry reservoir, so Moray and Aigle might have some snow at the bottom.... well most of the season.

Al'
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for posting allanm,

For anyone looking at the web page for sales in La Plagne. You can use the season pass which you buy in La Plagne in both Les Arcs and La Plagne from 10 Dec and until the 28 April, but for the first week and last week of the season the Vanoise Express will be closed so you must drive between resorts. The dates on the web page are 17 Dec start and 21 April finish which are misleading as they only refer to when the Vanoise Express is opening and closing for the season not the whole ski area.

I have just spoken with the Les Arcs office and they 'say' the online sales will be open now from the 2 Nov, well only a month late. It is always very disappointing to see that La Plagne is better organised than Les Arcs for lift pass pre-season sales. The good news is that as I mentioned earlier the Les Arcs pre-season ski passes are also open to everyone at the discounted rate this season. Remember to get the discounted rate you MUST buy the pass before the end of November.

I love the local gossip you come up with Al, they do have a great crystal ball to look at. Deep snow for the start of the season, I sure hope so!!!! Toofy Grin although from the web cams I see there is a dusting of snow at the top of the North face of the Bellecote now.

For those coming out for a week the best value for money pass is the 'Family pack' if you meet the conditions re. kids/ages etc and the 'PARADISKI DISCOVERY' to give you one day in La Plagne which is enough for most people if only in Les Arcs for a week. You can also buy a daily upgrade to your Les Arcs only pass at about 25Euro per day I think, but after two upgrades you are better off getting the full 'Paradiski Pass'.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi all, I'm coming up to Arc2000 on the 9th December (Friday) with a group of friends for my 40th. We want to ski Saturday and Sunday but I'm unsure if the hotels will be open on the Friday as the first official day is the Saturday. Also, the film festival is on and I'm worried we might be too late already for rooms or apartments and that they are all booked.

Any advice would be appreciated Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just a quick update.

We had a look at the new Mont Blanc lift and piste area at the top of Les Arcs 1600 on Sunday. The Deux Tetes black piste is no more, they have carved up the black to allow the top of the blue piste from the new lift to link with the old piste lower down. I would grade the top of the new piste as a challenging blue looking at it without snow. At least Malgovert has not been damaged, just made easier to ski into the bottom section. Oh well, that is progress. The new lift looks very good and should help with the bottleneck coming out of Arc 1600 on busy days. The down side is that the off piste area underneath the new lift around the Deux Tetes and down into the forest will get skied out quickly now that it has such easy access which is a great pity.

Not much sign of snow below 2500m and even higher up it looks quite thin, but it is getting colder so finger crossed!!

If you want to see the pics of the new finished piste you need to go to my facebook group page. Link below. Now that facebook have changed the system for groups, I will be starting a new Les Arcs Winter page for the daily updates so that it will give public access.

The new link will be http://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter?sk=wall&filter=12

but I will not start posting much there until December. Hope that helps all those that want to read the daily weather, snow conditions and avalanche details plus what's on section without clogging up this thread to much. And of course look at all the pictures as the season progresses. I will continue to post the main details here every week as well. It seemed to work like this last season. Bye for now Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowcrazy wrote:

Not much sign of snow below 2500m and even higher up it looks quite thin, but it is getting colder so finger crossed!!

Locals are confident of a big dump around the 21st, this year is going to be the best!

Anyhow, many thanks for the update snowcrazy.

Shame about Deux Tetes piste, does that mean you can get into the bottom of M from the new lift, as we used to go 'right' off the old Deux Tetes?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
does anyone know if the seasonnaire's Paradiski pass include any days at any other local resorts (st foy, espace killy... ect).?

thanks
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Libertine, yes 2 days at both EK & 3V
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Libertine, According to the receipt for last years Paradiski season pass it also covers resorts that are part of Espace Olympique Savoie including Pralognan en Vanoise and Les Saisses, I understand that you receive a discount at Ste Foy.
I would recommmend taking your pass, any receipts you have and some form of identification when travelling to other resorts. It is also worth asking at your local lift pass office prior to travelling just in case the rules have changed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skichampcouk, That's interesting.....

Anyone have any more information...

Do you use the 'free days' at Espace Olympique Savoie or as often as you like? snowcrazy??
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

The Deux Tetes black piste is no more, they have carved up the black to allow the top of the blue piste from the new lift to link with the old piste lower down.

Shame big shame. The deux tetes was always one of my favorite runs and was the first real black I ever did.

Looking back over old (some very old) piste maps I can see that Les Arcs has been gradually removing the black runs.

Quote:

Never get excited by November snow. I can never recall it lasting until Christmas. Do not even bother looking.

John
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
allanm, The receipt has printed on it 3V twice and EK twice, I assume the lift pass office in resort strike or cross out a 3v or EK each time you go there. It also has ESPACE OLYMPIQUE SAVOIE printed on it once but I don't know how often you can visit those resorts. I hardly skied last year and didn't visit any other resorts so can't comment from recent personal experience.

In years gone by I have had to go to the lift pass office in Champagny with my lift pass and receipts and they have printed out a separate ticket for me. I then took that to the lift pass office of the resort I was visiting (usually Courchevel or Meribel) where they gave me a lift pass for that area.
I assume the separate ticket is no longer required and you just need to take the receipt.
I have had a look at both the La Plagne and Les Arcs websites and can't find any information about it, but if anybody has more up to date information please let us know.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skichampcouk, ^^ I've used the free days at EK & 3V last few years, have heard about Ste Foy reduction but not sure about it - would probably use it, as with the other resorts. Out for nearly four weeks at Christmas (with car), so breaks the monotony wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Finally the Les Arcs Online link for buying your ski pass is open. Remember you only have until the end of November to get the 'Pre - Season' discount. I have just used it so I know it works.

The direct link for pre-season sales is:

http://lesarcs.paradiski.com/IntroFlash.aspx

and for Nivanalps details for owners is:

http://www.nirvanalps.com/skipasses/season-skipasses-presale/?lang=en

The free days and discounts at other resorts are all much the same this year as last year. You get a discount at La Rosiere and no free days all season. At St Foy I got a couple of free days last year and then a discount. At other resorts on the list you have to take the paper ticket they give you in Les Arcs from the lift office before you leave (remember to collect one) together with the season pass and your receipt to the lift office where you want to ski and they will give you a lift pass free. Remember to bring all the right papers or it can be a hassle.

Hope that is clear. If I hear any different for this season I will post the details.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
from here

With your plan 2011-2012 winter season, enjoy the advantages we offer you to visit the neighboring stations. Remember to bring your ski season as well as proof of your Internet order.

3 Vallées and Espace Killy (for holders of a season pass Paradiski only)
With the Espace Olympique Savoie, enjoy two free days of skiing (by area) of the Espace Killy and the 3 Valleys! Access to the ski resorts of the Espace Olympique Savoie is possible subject to the full opening of stations. To qualify for this offer you must remove your countermarks in one of the outlets package Arcs / Peisey-Vallandry before you go in the station area visited. Thank you for bring your season ski pass and valid proof of your Internet order. Offer valid from 17/12/2011 to 20/04/2012.

Sainte Foy Tarentaise
Enjoy two free days in the area of ​​Sainte Foy Tarentaise. Simply present your proof of order season pass Les Arcs / Peisey-Vallandry and Paradiski. Offer valid from 17/12/2011 to 20/04/2012 outlets directly to packages of Sainte Foy Tarentaise.

Espace San Bernardo
Enjoy a day of skiing in the area of ​​Rosiere - La Thuile, priced at € 24 (Prices for guidance for 2011), upon presentation of your ski season in Les Arcs / Peisey-Vallandry or Paradiski with your proof control. Offer valid from 10/12/2011 to 20/04/2012 directly to the outlets of the packages Rosiere.

Wish I'd known about Sainte Foy before Sad

Normal day pass for La Thuile is 37 ... up from 30 last year!
snow conditions
Hi all you clever people on here. I need some help. I tried to change the signature at the bottom of my posts so people can use the new public page for daily snow condition updates etc at Les Arcs this winter and it seems to be messed up.

Now it comes up as all this:

Snowcrazy Chris and all things Les Arcs on Facebook [url= http://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter?sk=wall&filter=1=url]

Instead of just

'Snowcrazy Chris and all things Les Arcs on Facebook' in blue like before and using the new link when you click on it to take you to the new page.

Can someone tell me how to fix this please. Thanks.
snow report
It now seems to sort of work, but I still cannot make just the

'Snowcrazy Chris and all things Les Arcs on Facebook'

be in blue with the link code not shown. Any ideas I must be doing something simple wrong Sad
ski holidays
Seems to be something to do with the Facebook URL screwing it up. Works if you change the URL to something else (hotmail, chosen at random):

Snowcrazy Chris and all things Les Arcs on Facebook

But not if you put the Facebook link in:

Your structure was a bit out, but it still doesn't seem to work.
latest report
Works to link direct to the page though:

Must be bbcode not liking = signs I guess.
snow report
bobmcstuff, it worked ok until a few minutes ago when I tried to change it from the old group page. Have I put the URL bit in the wrong place, I am very confused now. Do not think it is facebook as it worked ok before. Puzzled
snow conditions
Well the link I put in my last post links to your page and works, so you may as well use that. It links direct to http://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter

The way to do it is
Code:
[url=http://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter]Snowcrazy Chris and all things Les Arcs on Facebook[/url]

It's this bit : "?sk=wall&filter=1=" on the end of your URL that it doesn't like, so I suspect it's the bbcode the forum uses not liking the = signs in it, so nothing to do with facebook. I may be wrong about that.
ski holidays
bobmcstuff, Thanks for your help. It looks much nicer now. All this code stuff does get me mixed up. Now back to chatting about skiing.
latest report
Got the paperwork through from Going Places/Neilson this afternoon - the mrs and I are officially paid up and off to Arc 1800 on 11th Feb for our first week on piste in about 15 years (and I was only 15 then!)

Her only time on the slopes was a school trip to Canada when she was 16, and I made a couple of visits to Plan Peisey during my own schooldays in the mid 90's. I am thoroughly looking forward to it, and very much anticipate getting completely lost on the slopes Very Happy

I'm currently trying to reteach myself all the GCSE French I've lost over the intervening years, as well as get myself in slope-ready shape. In the meantime, I've "liked" Chris' Facebook page and look forward to keeping tabs on all the goings on at Les Arcs over winter.
snow report
DamonST, Who told you that you needed French for a French ski trip? Very Happy
latest report
DamonST, You will not believe the number of English on the slopes or running bars etc.
latest report
allanm,

Just stumbled across your post regards the season pass for Paradiski at €689.00. I am waiting for my owners pack from APLP (cant access there website).

Anyway it will be interesting to see which is less, is there any criteria for that price??

Cheers and look forward to your reply.
snow report
Just another point, when I have gone to 3V on the back of my Paradiski season pass I have always obtained a voucher/ticket/pass from the Paradiski side, well actually the lift pass office in Montchavin!
ski holidays
list price for season pass is €943.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roche1800 wrote:
allanm
Anyway it will be interesting to see which is less, is there any criteria for that price??

No criteria except I think it only runs until December. I was rather nervous last year the first time I used it...
It was fine, of course.
ski holidays
allanm,

at the moment cant get into the APLP site to see the price and the forms sent last Wed still havnt landed!! Last year it was 30% discount, i think.

Putting that to one side there was me thinking i was getting a super deal, as it turns out as long as you buy a season pass up front ie Nov, then you get a cracking deal.

I will let you know what the APLP price is out of curiosity.

Where abouts do you hang out and when are you out??
latest report
roche1800, 1st trip 22nd Dec - mid Jan. Mont Blanc bar or Pub (Locals) opposite Vallandry sports - it's changed names, went bust last season. I'm staying in Praz de l'our.
snow conditions
allanm,

well it would be rude not to have a tall one at the pub, need to get the VE back across!!!!

cheers, so to speak!
latest report
roche1800 .. yes but I have a Paradiski pass... and a car Little Angel
snow conditions
allanm, well then a beer in Montchavin.

Just established through APLP season pass is €689.00 + €30.00 membership + €16.00 card and assurance, total of €735.00!
latest report
Edenski
Paradiski winter season pass €689 No membership open to all. €30 APLP membership gives you what extra? (Apart from a sticker for your car wink )

http://www.skipass-laplagne.com/Product.aspx?num=23
ski holidays
Absolutely agree with you there Boredsurfing! Maybe you get insurance with Aplp?

Does anyone know of any cheaper method for a season pass?

Cheers
snow report
roche1800, Yeah, when you had no choice to pay APLP to get discounts there was an element of insurance but it was very minimal and very much aimed at French nationals. I think maybe APLP do some cheaper weekend passes but I cant see a reason to pay the membership since Edenski was set up.
As I said earlier there are other ways to get discounts but all involve employment or companies.
Of course you can get an Annual pass for as little as €44.50 IF you can meet the residency requirements/proof. Very Happy
http://www.ville-aime.fr/forfait2011/retardataire_resident.pdf

With new lifts costing 7 or 8 million Euro's each they understandably try not to discount their prices Laughing
latest report
chrisb wrote:
DamonST, Who told you that you needed French for a French ski trip? Very Happy You will not believe the number of English on the slopes or running bars etc.

I presumed there would be a good number of English speakers there, but even so I'd like to make the effort to bridge the language gap with the locals.

Just out of interest, can anyone confirm whether we would be able to add Carre Neige to the lift pass we've pre-purchased through our TO (Nielson/Thomas Cook)? As I understand it, the rep brings them to the hotel so I wouldn't be collecting it from the lift pass office, but could i then go up to the office and add the insurance?
snow report
Quote:

Just out of interest, can anyone confirm whether we would be able to add Carre Neige to the lift pass we've pre-purchased through our TO (Nielson/Thomas Cook)? As I understand it, the rep brings them to the hotel so I wouldn't be collecting it from the lift pass office, but could i then go up to the office and add the insurance?
snow report Mon 07 Nov, 11
21:11 Reply with quote
Quick Reply

There is nothing compelling you to buy the lift passes through the TO. On one occaision we arrived on the snow train and the rep was keen that bought a 7 pass through them and bought a 1/2 day pass from the lift pass office ourselves. It was cheeper to just buy an 8 day pass at the office. With no photographs required and machine issuing of passes the queues are not the problem they once were. I am not sure why the TOs still try to get the passes for you. IIRC the lift pass and the insurance must be bought together

In Arc 1600 speaking French is a huge advantage, especially to speak to the butcher who speaks no English. He is a great guy who will get you anything you want. Just order in the morning and he will get it for the evening. Must order some biche and oysters for Christmas. However my son finds GCSE French no use at all in France.

John
snow report
The lift pass has already been bought and paid for as part of the package (before I'd even heard of Carre Neige), and was a few quid cheaper than advertised prices at current exchange rates. Even better once I'd bartered on the total price a bit wink

I'll give the TO a bell and see what they can advise (if anything), and failing that I will just have to see if I can blag it in the resort.

I'm keeping up the French, as much for myself and a sense of achievement as it is for this and future trips.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy