Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2011/12 snowreport

Poster: A snowHead
Mush!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello all - just in from a morning on the board around Avoriaz and over to Chatel. It is heavy snow BUT there is still a good coverage on all the slopes we were on AND you work hard to turn so can have double the number of burger stops Very Happy

It is spring skiing, some pistes are crowded, others deserted, but on the whole still enjoyable. I'll be out tomorrow and Saturday/ Sunday to make the most of it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Early baths for us today as well (including a bit of a strop from me at lunchtime - tired and hungry is never a good place to be).

Started at Ardent and went up Mossettes and then down the long blue to Morgins -busy up top with very poor skiers then sticky snow in places - quite disconcerting to suddenly come to a full stop on a schuss, espcially for a chap of my stature.

At the Morgin chairlift there is a sign that says that the liason to Super Chatel is closed and so we went up and over to Champoussin - don't bother, it's horrid and the path across to the Sepaya t-bar/button is closed. Finally got up the Point de l'Au and the run into Les Crosets is barely skiable - very sticky and some completely bare in places.

In the end we made our way back to Lindarets and decided to take the gondola down as we had all had enough of skiing in poridge.

As usual the slopes in the French areas were in fairly good nick; the run down into Morgins is sticky at the top, a bit ropey in the middle but still skiable and then actually quite good at the bottom. Champoussin and Les Crosets were horrible.

Lots of people coming in for the Easter weekend, hope we get a few sub zero nights to at least give us some morning skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
simonhardcastle, any sign of a
Quote:

bit of a strop from me at lunchtime

was averted by a stop at the Bout du Lac for a glass of something. We had been up the Chaux Fleurie and over to Linga first thing. Funny old light to start with but some nice bits of new snow in places. Perdrix Blanche ok at the top but it got to a very stop-go part further on so did not repeat. In the end the best runs we found were the bottom of Linga down to the gondola with very few people around. Eventually back to the Rochassons lift via the Itinerarie - and the red back down to the path back to Lindarets - that seemed to be just survival avoiding the bodies. We also downloaded to Ardent to avoid any more porridge.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pamski,

one day perhaps we'll meet rather than be in roughly the same place at the same time! Especially since you also live close to us in the UK too (<15 miles to Chichester from us).
the high spot of today for me was seeing a couple of marmottes as we came up the Mossettes lift from Crosets.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nadenoodlee,
Quote:
AND you work hard to turn so can have double the number of burger stops Very Happy
only double and no fries Puzzled rolling eyes Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have friends out in Avoriaz at the moment and one of them is hating the 'porridge' so much, that hubby has been bribing
her with Mai tai cocktails, dont know where, but she's had one every afternoon as I know, as I always get a text around 3pm!! Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You lot just don't know how lucky you are, do you? wink Had a lovely buzz around Nyon and the bowl today, including some lovely soft bumps. I must admit I love soft bumps. wink

Off to Morzine now for a very well-deserved apres drinky. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Razz
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
carolh, still waiting to see the marmottes.

We are only about 3 miles north of Chichester.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pamski, carolh's 2nd marmot sighting was a bit suspect - possible "bit of wood that looks a little bit like an animal because I nearly missed the 1st one"

My strop was partly due to lack of Bout du Lac (or equivalent); was outside La Rocher where we had planned to have a quick lunch, as the two people we were skiing with wanted a light lunch while our plans were more in the Plat du Jour and a small bottle of something direction. One of those things that happens after 18 years of marriage and knowing exactly which buttons to press wink I think Carol and I are back on speaking terms again and I'm going to have to compose a slightly apologetic email after I finish servicing the skis.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kiters, I don't blame her. I used to bride carolh with shots from a hip flask to make her keep skiing. These days she's faster than me (she has been nick-named Mighty Atom as she zooms off and never stops) but I am yet to convince her that bribery is better than shouting at me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kiters,
Quote:
every afternoon as I know, as I always get a text around 3pm!! Toofy Grin
This is an old (slightly snide) dodge inasmuch as the booze tastes better/slides down easier knowing that you are elsewhere. I used the same trick when eating a full "English" + coffee/beer in Accra on the odd Saturday/Sunday morning -always nice to call a friend working nearby in an office to ask what they're up to.... they then ask where you are and what you doing = nice yummy drink/breakfast/meal which tastes so much better now they are green with envy Twisted Evil Embarassed
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmmm.

Not quite as good as forecast weather wise, off piste sticky enough to remove requirement to turn.

Some lovely super slushy bumps around though and an excellent lunch chez David at la Terrasse.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quick on a bus in arcs 1800 with rare signal. Tell me in three words how les gets doing have not been able to check webcams for 6 days and coming sat Very Happy Shocked
snow conditions
Bit like porridge Lou,
ski holidays
under a new name, What are you doing in the Pds again? You're there more than I am, and I live there!!

Stuck in a moving box for the foreseeable Sad

Around at Easter?
ski holidays
zzz, Left a message with your daughter this avo, here till saturday eve, then off again downhilling...
snow report
Went out for a few hours round Nyon/Chamoissiere and Les Gets before coming back to Morzine via Pleney - slopes in N+C were in excellent condition - much better than the ones I did in Avoriaz/ Plaine Dranse yesterday. Les Gets had a few slushy ones including a rather large brown patch down to Nauchets chair but still fine. Piste H at Pleney and the Stade were soft but still in good nick and it was really quiet! Hoping for more of the same tomorrow!
snow report
Also out in Les Gets in same areas as Nadenoodlee, this morning. I was surprised at how good it all was still - lots of runs down the Tulipe till more people arrived. Some of the pistes are now closed but those that are open are being well looked after.

The Melezes was in good nick too - except for the very last bit where its now quite narrow with just grass on the right hand side. The narrow bit of the piste was not helped this morning by finding a large group all lying on the snow having their photos taken - afraid I think they were speaking English.

Also on the grumpy old woman front - not happy to see a bunch of very small children tobogganing down just to the left of the drag lifts on the Chavanne - think parents were probably lunching at the nearby restaurant. Any boarder or skier a bit out of control could have taken them out.

But on the non grumpy side how great to have a bit of sun back today.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, That's only because it was significantly colder overnight. Avoriaz pistes much better than yesterday, at leadt until the precip started!
ski holidays
under a new name, did you want the no poo-poo sherlock award wink its also because there are much fewer people on them although some idiot did still attempt to kill me on the chamoissiere Sad
latest report
Last day of skiing for this season today. Up from Ardent at just after 9am and had a blast round the Chatel area on iron hard cordoroy. Tried a couple of tween-the-pistes routes as the family stuck to the pistes but they were so hard and rutted/lumpy to be very unpleasant. The top part of the Linga run, under the L'echo Alpin chair, was closed due to high avalanche risk despite the general risk being only 2 today. There seemed to be a disproportionately large percentage of snow-ploughers-on-icy-red-slopes, ESF-instructors-side-slipping-large-groups-through-narrow-sections and French-youths-using-everybody-as-slalom-targets around today. After a hotly-choccy stop we went up to Mossettes - no sign of marmottes (I think the concept was invented by Alpine cuddly toy manufacturers after sales of yeti dolls dried up). The pistes were softening up by midday to give nice granular snow, rapidly building into bumps in trafficked areas. Lunch at Les Trappeurs in Avoriaz was tasty as ever but diabolically slow service - the table next to us arrived a few minutes after we did, ordered and were served their food before we even had our order taken despite several complaints from us. After lunch the final run back to Ardent through the Stash for the benefit of the boys (again way busier than it has been) was a bit of a thigh-burner but worth the effort!
Spent an hour this afternoon waxing the skis before putting them into storage until New Year. Roll on December!
ski holidays
marmottes have broken out of the snow under the Mossettes Chair about half way up on Swiss side. Currently 5 or 6 approx. looked slightly miserable in the rain on Wednesday!
snow report
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Come on fellow snowHeads - Roll Up! Roll Up! - Snowhead ski (and probably long lunch given conditions) on Sunday 8th April.

8:30 at Bruno's (l'Escaparde) at Ardent.

Lou, Pamski and andyph can you make it?

DJL, get that flight booked. Go on. You know you want to...

Please post here if you can make it and I'll PM you my mobile.

Lou, you still up for this?

Anyone else?
latest report
FlyingStantoni, I'm still going for the virtual option. The run and weaving downhill should work. Virtual lunch a bit of a problem as we drank the last of the Cotes du Rhone yesterday Embarassed

Have a good day and "fin du saison" all. Hope to catch up with you next year. August 12 next trip for me. Sad
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, My apologies dor not txting last night, we needed a nap!
snow report
No problem under a new name - there was snoozing here too wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FlyingStantoni, Lou, et famille are on their way to Les Gets from Les Arcs today - she says she will be logging on tonight.

We managed a couple of hours from 9 in the bowl at Les Gets, bit in the clouds and flat light a lot of the time. It hadn't frozen overnight so very soft but with true Dunkirk spirit we made the best of it before succumbing to coffee and a quick drive home for the joy of the Boat Race and tidying up some cupboards!
latest report
FlyingStantoni, we'll be there (your partner in crime won't be with us as he is staying here to work). I will see how it goes with my knee, and if I can't keep up we will divert. Very Happy

Here's to a chilly night and a reasonably slush free morning.
ski holidays
8:30am??
snow report
Lou, FlyingStantoni, I am already plotting my divert if I can't keep up too!
ski holidays
Pamski, you can take me to marmotte country. If I don't see one this year I won't believe they exist.

Nadenoodlee, coming?
ski holidays
Lou, considering it - is the Escalade the one at the bottom of the bubble next to Happy Hour? Mr NN is up at 8 to work so I might as well make myself useful/ avoid cleaning my flat! I am a filthy boarder though.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, as long as you don't scrape too much first thing, boarders make even more of a racket wink Very Happy
snow report
It's flippin' raining Sad

Sorry not exactly sure where Escalade is, but FS says right by bridge near bubble. I'm usually half dead after coming down that ruddy blue at the end of the day so must admit have never noticed it.
snow conditions
Lou, Nadenoodlee, the Escapade is right there at the bottom, as you walk towards the bottom of the steps and the ticket office you will see it almost straight ahead - next to Happy Hour I think.

Yes, flippin' raining - but the temperature has dropped 3 degrees in about 10 minutes so could be more useful things happening higher up!!
latest report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
8:30am??

Yes, there are two 8:30s :-;
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
I am a filthy boarder though.

We realise that. Don' worry though, we'll find terrain to taunt you!
snow report
Webcams make it look like there's some new snow in Avoriaz - have a good day y'all.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy