Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for Utah - please help

Poster: A snowHead
It looks like I'll be skiing in Utah Feb 2012 for a holiday and having never skied there I'm unsure of whether to bring my existing skis - Rossignol Z76 http://www.theshedskihire.com.au/2011%20Rossignol%20Z76%20TI%20-Rossignol-Skis-for-Sale.html

or purchase a good 2nd hand pair of Rossignol S3 which I can get at a great price http://www.theshedskihire.com.au/2012%20S3%20-Rossignol-Skis-for-Sale.html

Apologies for the links - only new here and couldn't see where to add images.

Most of my skiing has been in Australia and on piste but I'd love to get into some powder if it "on" when I'm there.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Book some rental skis from nosnatch powder skis http://www.wasatchpowderskis.com/ then buy what you like. That said the S3 seems to be pretty well liked but you're likley to find Utah locals on something fatter when it snowa.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am also going to SLC in February next year and I will be taking mine. I think the bottom line is do you want the Rossi S3.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Andy H, welcome to SH's I think as fatbob, says
Quote:

you're likley to find Utah locals on something fatter when it snowa.

The S3 is only 98 underfoot and 127 in the tip, the Utah off piste skis are more likely to be 110 under foot with tips around 140 or more!! See if you can find some Whitedot Preachers over in Australia they would fit the bill Little Angel Or again as fatbob says just hire some thing for the off piste days.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Andy H, not to sound to much like spam, our US distributor is based in Draper, Utah. If you fire them a mail they're sure to hook you up with some demo Whitedots. They're a great bunch and I'm sure will even point you in the direction of a shop where you can demo some other brands. Their contact details can be found here http://www.whitedotusa.com/contact.php
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bit of advice - get your lift passes in Salt Lake City when you land. Way cheaper that at the resorts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dot., +1 Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Andy H, The Liquidation Sports team http://www.liquidationsports.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SNOW+SKIING%3ASKIS:USED+SKIS tel +1 877 776 7877 -they're based in WA state.: They sell really good skis and they are honest about quality, so they will often have the same ski but with differing levels of quality (and price), hence it's worth a call: Potentially you can order your skis and arrange delivery at your accomodation shortly before you arrive in Utah: This will save the costs of flying them out there and you can easily pig up a bag/tube out there to ship them back. If you have friends/storage then perhaps order now? They also trade as sportsouletusa.com
Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Andy H, +2 on the Whitedots Cool
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Andy H,

Rent when you get there (unless you're there for a month or so). Utah is not the powder guarantee that might be suggested and so super fat skis might not prove such an advantage.

That said, I've been twice (and before you say anything about lacking experience, I reckon I'm at somewhere around 200+ weeks skiing) and totally rate it. Awesome skiing, just awesome.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
glowman wrote:
Bit of advice - get your lift passes in Salt Lake City when you land. Way cheaper that at the resorts.

This depends where abouts you are skiing. Canyon Sports for Park City Resort lift passes, anywhere in the Cottonwoods you can get a better deal in the UK Smile Although I see you are in OZ, the website may still let you buy the passes.

Ski wise plenty of places to Demo skis and they will refund the demo price if you buy and more if you push 'em Madeye-Smiley

Good sale prices will be about around the weekend of 18th Feb and it will be busy too by Utah standards.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you're a Costco member in the UK, I believe you can buy ski passes from Costco in SLC pretty cheap on the same card. Don't quote me on it, though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone for all the info! I thought with the lack of replies that I had somehow done something wrong with my first ever post.

Fatbob - I haven't actually ridden the S3's but they come highly recommended and I have the opportunity to pick up a slightly used pair at a great price. I can only take one pair of skis with me and I guess was hoping for somewhat of an all round ski for Utah while there and japan the following year.

Glowman - where in SLC should I be purchasing tickets (surely not the airport?). I expect to be spending most of my time at Snow Basin but was hoping to sample a few other resorts - can I buy a multiple resort pass or will I have to nominate how many days at each resort when purchasing?

Thanks Dot, Livetoski, Jivebaby and Bones - really appreciate the info.

So - after all that, should I pack my existing carve skis or grab the S3's for "most" of my skiing time at Snow Basin. I understand that I can hire whatever I don't have but which skis do you think will serve me best for most of my time over there? Most of my skiing has been on piste in Australia but I am very keen to experience some good off piste and way better snow than we have over here.

Thanks again for all your input and help - I do appreciate it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bones wrote:
glowman wrote:

This depends where abouts you are skiing. Canyon Sports for Park City Resort lift passes, anywhere in the Cottonwoods you can get a better deal in the UK Smile Although I see you are in OZ, the website may still let you buy the passes.

Ski wise plenty of places to Demo skis and they will refund the demo price if you buy and more if you push 'em Madeye-Smiley

Good sale prices will be about around the weekend of 18th Feb and it will be busy too by Utah standards.

What about for Alta & Snowbird - where can I buy cheap ski passes for this side of SLC?
Also, is the "Superpass" http://www.visitsaltlake.com/ski/superpass/ worth getting?

Cheers.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Andy H wrote:
So - after all that, should I pack my existing carve skis or grab the S3's for "most" of my skiing time at Snow Basin. .

Nobody can tell you that, I've been at Alta for a weekend where the carvers would have been fine during a very poor snow year....

If you fancy the S3s and they are available at a good price, it's a good excuse to get a new set Wink
snow conditions
SLC superpass is a good deal if you can get it worked so you get a free day, otherwise buying daily passes at Canyon Sports seemed the best bet. Don't forget you can ski half a day at Park City for free on the day you fly in (with a boarding pass) and possibly others.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
SLC superpass is a good deal if you can get it worked so you get a free day, otherwise buying daily passes at Canyon Sports seemed the best bet. Don't forget you can ski half a day at Park City for free on the day you fly in (with a boarding pass) and possibly others.

I don't see how I get a free day with the Superpass Puzzled
Unfortunately, I won't be flying to SLC, so Park City half day for free does not apply to me.
snow report
They used to do buy 3 or more days get 1 free so if you wanted say 8 day skiing buy two 3 day packs and you were sorted.
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
They used to do buy 3 or more days get 1 free so if you wanted say 8 day skiing buy two 3 day packs and you were sorted.

Unfortunately, it appears that this buy 3 days get 1 day free offer is not available any more.

However, I just found out there is a new "Yeti Pass" enabling pass holders to ski one day at every Utah resort for US$499 (equivalent to $35 per day).
latest report
Bones wrote:
glowman wrote:

Thanks mate - Canyon Sports look they will be perfect for lift passes and rentals plus they are close to where I'll be staying.
ski holidays
Crusader wrote:
Bones wrote:
glowman wrote:

What about for Alta & Snowbird - where can I buy cheap ski passes for this side of SLC?
Also, is the "Superpass" http://www.visitsaltlake.com/ski/superpass/ worth getting?

Cheers.

That Superpass looks great.

Last year I used http://www.liftopia.com/ for buying passes to Park City and Canyons. Very easy to use. Just go to the main ticket office with a printout of the voucher purchased and some ID to collect tickets.

For other resorts I bought tickets at the resort on the day.
ski holidays
I haven't skied the S3s, but have skied similar width, up to 108 mm and skinnier. I grew up skiing powder in Utah on much narrower skis and have done a lot of powder skiing in Colorado (and some in France) on 96 mm under foot and find that to be plenty for most situations. I own multiple pairs of skis, but if I could only own 2, I would probably have one in the upper 90s width (like my Fischer Misfit/Atua) and a versatile carver in the low 70s (like my Dynastar Contacts). If it is a great price on the S3s, I'd probably go for it in your situation.

Another suggestion is to look at the snow totals the week before you go and the extended weather forecast the day before you leave and make a decision then.
snow report
Elston, Cheaper at American Ski Classics We found for lift passes and they do the SLC Superpass too Smile

If your flight is early enough stop off at Canyon Sports downtown SLC on the way out and pick up the relevent passes you need, a quick 10 minute detour, they have discounted lift tickets for all mountains.

Andy H - where abouts are you staying ? They might do discounted lift tickets for Snowbasin, every time we've been they place we stayed at had reduced tickets. When are you out there as we're booked up again for Utah next Feb/March Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Bones, thanks! That site looks great and offers many more options than liftopia I will check it out for next year. I particularly like the options for multi resort passes.

Liftopia seemed to be cheaper during mid season last year (we paid $53.50 / day at park city & $185 for a 3 from 7 at Canyons).
snow conditions
Hey Bones - I'll be staying at a mates house in Morgan (Ogden). He's on his way to Australia with his family and has kindly offered his home as a base for us. We are arriving 7th Feb for 10 days - fingers crossed already for awesome snow. Might see you there?

I checked Canyon Sports website and they have a store in Ogden which will be perfect.

Thanks MEfree30 - good advice all round.
snow conditions
I have a pair of S3s for my everyday ski in Scotland and they are pretty good in most conditions, I have a pair of slalom skis for ice but ski the S3s on everything else. I'm 5'9 and got the 177cms and really wish I'd gone longer, they ski ridiculously short so buy the 188cms unless you are about 5'5, particularly if you want them for powder, they feel at least 20-30cms shorter on piste and pretty short in deeper snow too.
ski holidays
Andy H, We will just miss you unfortunately Sad Dont fly out until 17th, staying near Park City for 5 days first before heading to Eden.

As you are staying in Ogden check out 25th Street for food. Jasoh's there serve Yak which if you havent tried is something different. Worth at least a day at Powder Mtn if they get fresh snow, especially Powder Country and the bus ride Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Bones, Thank again for the info! Only just discovered this forum and it's been invaluable already. Shame I'll miss you in Utah - next time Smile

No, haven't tried YAK - but will give it a go.

lynseyf, Thanks for the feedback on the S3's - I'm 5'6 and was looking at the 177's.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bones, Is the bus ride you are referring to at Powder Mtn where you ski off piste down to a road, get picked up by a bus and returned to the resort?
snow report
Just rent when you get there. The S3 will be OK in every condition, but you'll regret not having powder skis if you get lucky, and if it's dry, there are much better skis for that as well.
ski holidays
brshain, True, true - I love my Rossi Z76's so will take those and hire depending on the conditions.
ski holidays
Andy h, you gotta do some work mate. great info though!
ski holidays
Andy H, Yes mate, Woody's lift wink - You can ski either side of the road and get picked up. If its dumping snow carry some snack food to eat while waiting in the bus line as its becomes the longest wait on the mountain. Resort is a word you would loosely use at Powder Toofy Grin

The base area, largest area in the US and thats the main lodge Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 10-09-11 15:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Bones, Awesome - loving the look and sound of this place already!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy