Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To goggle or not to goggle...

Poster: A snowHead
AlanB1976 wrote:
Quote:

AlanB1976, Dude, seriously, it really isn't this damn complicated.

It is when I don't have a clue and some are saying buy cheap and others saying it's worth it to spend the extra. I'm trying to avoid buying twice without breaking the bank the first time.
I have basically decided that I will try get the cheapest "ok" set. Snow&Rock have some that are 30% and 50% off (they say last seasons stock) of some Smiths/Oakleys/Bolle. At least that is what the sticker says. If I can find one that is less than £35, I will get it. Otherwise I'll just get a cheap one off ebay/amazon and hope they don't irritate me too much.

Basically, at your stage, it doesn't that much.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know you're right.
I take to things quite quickly and have been burned before by getting the wrong gear and getting into the sport only to be let down by equipment. Since then I've always tried to get the most advice beforehand to make the best decision and not skimp at the wrong places... Hence asking so many questions on the forums. You guys have only yourselves to blame for being so helpful NehNeh
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AlanB1976, goggles divide opinion almost as much as helmets, boots or winter tyres on here. I would think fit is the most important factor. Set yourself a budget and find the best fit within that budget. I've never paid more than £50 for any single item of ski clothing (I'm not including equipment such as skis or boots in this). You don't have to be a label snob.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am also not a fan of goggles. On a sunny day I prefer to wear glacier glasses but I do carry a pair of goggles with clear lens in case the weather turns bad.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AlanB1976,
Quote:
I take to things quite quickly and have been burned before by getting the wrong gear and getting into the sport only to be let down by equipment

Apart from doing extensive research/asking advice, did you establish why you selected the wrong gear &/or why the gear itself let you down, assuming it was fit for purpose? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Generally, I selected the wrong gear from not knowing what to look for or getting cheap when I shouldn't have. For instance, if I hadn't asked here first, and I decided to get goggles anyway, I probably would have got bright light ones with mirrored lenses (cause I don't like my eyes being seen) and would have ended up being screwed if the weather changed. Now I know that I should aim at an allrounder or low light pair as that is when I'll need them the most, and that I could possibly get a pair that I can wear my normal sunglasses underneath. Another example would be when I started flying RC helicopters. If I was told that I should get the metal gear servos from the start because they would last through a lot of crashes, I would have. Instead I got the cheaper plastic geared ones, replaced them after crashes and only later get onto the metal gear ones. Could have saved a lot of money.
....and I don't trust salesmen as they will generally try sell you something more expensive even when not needed, and often can't get real life advice.... "you're going skiing.... well you have to get these £200 gloves, and these £200 goggles.... and £100 underwear to stop your nads freezing to the ski lift..."
I know I'm a beginner when it comes to this (and could easily be satisfied by cheap stuff) but it is something that really appeals to me and I want to take it up a lot more (breaking the bank in stages)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AlanB1976 wrote:
if I hadn't asked here first, and I decided to get goggles anyway, I probably would have got bright light ones with mirrored lenses (cause I don't like my eyes being seen) and would have ended up being, in all likelihood, perfectly fine if the weather changed.

Fixed for you.

Deep breath, Alan. You worry too much.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AlanB1976 wrote:
it is something that really appeals to me and I want to take it up a lot more (breaking the bank in stages)

Indeed - the price of a pair of goggles will be the last of your concerns compared to the hole in your finances that other kit, travel, accomodation and time off work will cost when you get truly obsessed.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AlanB1976, my penn'orth: I hate wearing goggles and wear sunglasses as much as possible. However, I would never go out skiing without a pair of goggles in my bag/pocket, in case the light should go very flat or it snows. I have Oakleys, having researched the type that would suit me best (I think they're called Hi-Yellow, or Hi-blue, no use at all in bright sunshine) tried some on - wearing my helmet - in a shop to ensure a good fit, and then bought them cheaply online.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lol.... I'm really not that worried. I just don't like not knowing what to do. Unsettles me.
the missus is a lot more worried on the amount of money I want to blow Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AlanB1976, Sounds like you've learnt some good lessons. If you take these on board with you own advice then potentially you're on the right track.

Using the Top Gear approach which appears to be similar to the current process and as you earlier confirmed that you are a beginner, you are potentially more vulnerable than perhaps the average SH on the forum. Taking the reasonably priced car approach by spending the minimum amount of cash is maybe the best option if you are comfortable with that, as after all you won’t be competing in any slalom or downhill races for a while yet. A cheap, comfortable pair of goggles that have good poor light visibility (good you've noted that), so that means yellow/orangey tints that will get you safely off the mountain is possibly the safest option.

When/if you reach an ability level that you feel comfortable with or better still wish to build on, then perhaps consider the other options which will make the expenditure worthwhile. Skiing with second rate kit is the equivalent of taking the reasonably priced car and fitting it with counterfeit brake pads, then driving yourself round the track at the same speed as the Stig. Few people would knowingly fit crap parts to their cars, and skiing is basically a very expensive hobby, with prices sadly to match. I personally put goggles in the same category as brake pads and parachutes, as in bad conditions when the clouds just drop, perhaps with blizzard conditions, my life would be in peril without eye protection, and glasses just don’t make the grade at all in then, which I why I carry spare goggles just in case.

As fatbob, says there really isn't that much good news on the cost front Crying or Very sad apart from lift passes which get cheaper the longer you ski Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AlanB1976, phew, I can understand your position many of us have gone through the same thing with gear, not only on skiing gear but other sports as well.

OK I AM GOING TO REGRET THIS, today for one day only we have a special offer on a pair of Test goggles (used for one week only), Demon Sphericals with double lens, and comes with extra low light lens included

SPecial price of delivery cost only to any guy living in Bristol with the SH head name AlanB1976,

Plus I hope this goes someway to dispell the myth that
Quote:

....and I don't trust salesmen as they will generally try sell you something more expensive

give me a shout Twisted Evil it will mean you can tick goggles off your list and worry about something else

Any other Snowheads out there thinking that I am a soft touch, please think again NehNeh
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
livetoski, good for you for being nice to a newbie Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
livetoski, I have just changed my name to AlanB1976, and will move to Bristol today Cool
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, +1 Cool
ski holidays
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I said it before and I'll say it again..... You guys are waaaay too kind and helpful.
This is really fantastic! I owe you big time.

p.s. I'm sure my wife will be even more thankful (ok, that sounded a bit dubious)
snow report
livetoski, nice one!
ski holidays
I think he just did that to shut me up and stop spamming the forum NehNeh Laughing
latest report
livetoski, aw, you're a star! Very Happy
snow report
Pedantica, AlanB1976, clarky999, Jivebaby, rob@rar, thanks

but when I see a new thread on Snowheads saying"To avalanche airbag or not to avalanche airbag...." will not mean that I will do the same thing NehNeh

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 6-09-11 14:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
livetoski wrote:
Pedantica, AlanB1976, clarky999, Jivebaby, rob@rar, thanks

but when I see a new thread on Snowheads saying"To avalanche airbag or not to avalanche airbag...." will mean that I will do the same thing NehNeh

Is there meant to be a NOT in there? Otherwise better start that thread.
latest report
AlanB1976, what time of year and where are you going skiing? As I think someone has said, you could get a whole week with wall to wall sunshiner and not need goggles, or it could snow/rain every day and you will need them.

So it's a gamble, you could not buy any, and not regret it, worst case is then you buy in resort....

Or do you know any skiers who would lend you a pair 'just in case'??
ski holidays
fatbob,
Quote:

Is there meant to be a NOT in there?

added

my no key does not seem to working today
latest report
kitenski, you missed the post a bit before where livetoski said he would give me a pair Very Happy

p.s. I'm going in Nov to Tignes and Jan to Hinterglemm
snow conditions
kitenski, and you missed the text where AlanB1976, made this offer Laughing Laughing Laughing

Quote:

This is really fantastic! I owe you big time.

p.s. I'm sure my wife will be even more thankful
snow report
lol...... I'm going to have to keep her away from this forum Laughing
latest report
livetoski, rolling eyes Embarassed rolling eyes
ski holidays
AlanB1976 wrote:
lol...... I'm going to have to keep her away from this forum Laughing

Nah-uh, you offered up your wife, there's no reneging on the deal. It's your wife or the goggles Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zero-G wrote:
5RED wrote:
I ended up in a drift clinging to the leg of the instructor, confidence shot.

Was he at least hot? Toofy Grin

Mmm possibly but wrong sex for me. Why so few lady instructors?!
ski holidays
5RED,
Quote:
possibly
So you were tempted or you're not entirely sure?
rolling eyes Puzzled Embarassed
snow report
No, not tempted! A gorgeous Frenchwoman instructor on the other hand... Happy
Though my girlfriend may have had something to say about it!
ski holidays
Got my goggles from livetoski last night. A big thank you again! Very Happy

My wife thought I was a bit crazy last night when I walked around the house in them. She says I look like a giant fly NehNeh
One question... how do you change the lenses? I didn't want to force anything and risk breaking things.
latest report
AlanB1976, depends on the brand, but at the very least you'll need a hammer, adjustable spanner, 2 paperclips and some WD4O. Wire wool also advised but not required.
ski holidays
AlanB1976, They just unclip from the frame, start on one side and work around gently removing from the frame, you will see there are small lugs/fixing points on the lens which line up with the gaps in the frame. To be fair its a little tricky, but practise makes perfect. To put the other lens in fit into one side first and work around, the lens is quite strong but try not to flex them too much?

Oh and on the low light lens, please take the safety film off before you use otherwise you will not see much wink
ski holidays
Dr John, Laughing Laughing
latest report
Quote:

please take the safety film off before you use

lol.... the worst low light lens ever
ski holidays
AlanB1976, I don't suppose it's the identical goggle, but the process shown here, looks similar to what I did with my Oakleys

http://youtube.com/v/Uxo6dZu21b8

I was very worried when they kind of finally, and somewhat abruptly, 'gave' when I pulled the lens from the frame - there seemed to be little plastic pegs that they aligned on/with too, and they needed more of a tug than I thought they would, but I didn't cause any damage and I doubt that you will either.
snow conditions
Thanks. I got them changed with the least amount of hassle. Now just to get it with ski gloves on while on the slope NehNeh
snow report
I would have a helmet on with the googles sitting on top, but wearing cycling glasses(yellow Tint) Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Ive a pair of scott, got them to fit around my glasses, was cheaper than getting the percription googles! Blush
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy