Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To goggle or not to goggle...

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all
Another question to frustrate all those helping me for my first EU ski trip. You guys have been fantastic Very Happy
I know that usage between goggles/sunglasses is a matter of preference, but since I don't want to spend a lot of money buying something on the slopes if I suddenly realize that I want that, I would rather buy something cheap in preparation.
So, my question is, are goggles more popular to ski with? I got sunglasses but they are more casual and so don't block out the wind. Should I rather spend £10 buying a cheap set of goggles before I go?
Thanks
Alan
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get the goggles -you will be grateful for them in bad weather.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1

Skiing when it is snowing is miserable if you are wearing sunglasses, and if you're skiing fast (or it's very windy) goggles can be more comfortable as your eyes are less likely to water.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Will do, thanks Smile
Now just to find a comfortable cheap pair...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, +1 AlanB1976, if you can find some cheaper Spherical Lens goggles then I would highly recommend them wink if not then lots of the ski shops do £25 goggles
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wear sunglasses on blue sky days as I don't like the lack of peripheral vision I get with Goggles, but I use goggles on days where there is precipitation, as sun-glasses steam up in these conditions. I've found that the more expensive goggles seem to offer better peripheral vision (I've two pairs of better quality ones with spherical lenses, and a number of cheaper pairs).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was thinking more of the £14.99 pairs NehNeh
Is there a lot of difference between the different price ranges? What I mean is that I notice virtually no difference between my £10 generic sunglasses and my £100 Oakley's. Sure, the Oakley's will last longer with less scratches, but there is virtually no visual/comfort difference.
Do they have cheaper ones that have multiple lenses for low/bright conditions?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, I see you already answered some of my questions Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AlanB1976, You will find that the more expensive goggles have a dual lens like double glazing and usually come with two lens one for bright conditions and the other for low light conditions, and yes they are more comfortable, more important is reduced fogging and wet snow sticking to the outer lens.

Most ski goggles will scratch, I usually see some pretty good goggles in TK Max which are very cheap, it maybe worth looking soon, our local one has just started to get in there ski stuff.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks. I plan on having a look at TKMaxx this weekend
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Goggles are so much more functional than sunnies once you get used to wearing them. If you choose to wear a brain bucket, then sunnies + one of those is about the most epic style fail you could ever make.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^^IMO. Some gaper will disagree, but I'm correct. IMO.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm not a fan of goggles (hate having elastic round my head getting tangled in my hair and the 'closed in' feeling on my face), however, in bad weather, they have their place. The best pair I have ever had were bought in Italy for €30. They are 'Salice' (not sure which model) but do an excellent job and never mist up. You really don't have to spend hundreds, a good fit on your face is the most important factor.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If fit is an important factor, would you avoid buying online?
I saw these which had good reviews (most from the other coloured lenses) and looked ok.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-SnowBoard-Camouflage-Mirrored-Anti-Glare/dp/B002MFG4RO/ref=sr_1_86?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1314966603&sr=1-86&tag=amz07b-21
I guess I'll have to spend a bit more if I want changeable lenses. I would be very dissapointed if I got there with my new goggles and couldn't use them due to low light conditions .
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
p.s. showing my age but my hair is on the way out so don't have to worry about straps tangled NehNeh
snow conditions
AlanB1976, I think if the goggles don't fit your face correctly, they may be uncomfortable (I used to have a pair that squashed my nose) and if there are any gaps between the cushioning and your face, they are more likely to steam up. So with that in mind, I wouldn't buy online. Same issue with any ski clothing to be honest.
snow conditions
Be careful too which lens category you get. They range from 0 (almost clear) to 3 (cut out 80% or so of light for bright sunshine). You really want an allrounder.
latest report
AlanB1976, the goggles above seem to have mixed reviews, especially if your going to wear with a helmet, they look a little wide for some helmets. If your not wearing a helmet and your only going to expect them to last a few weeks then they fit the bill at that price.
snow report
Just based on my own experience:

Those days when you get precipitation tend (on average) to be low light days, i.e. the clouds lead to the precipitation and hence low light. Those blue sky days with light bouncing off the snow everywhere and sunshine requiring a pair of really dark lenses tend not have any associated precipitation.

Therefore I tend to find by default that I end up with my dark coloured sunglasses on the blue sky days gaining the peripheral vision and ease of use that I find with sunnies, and the 'freedom' that I feel with them.

The goggles tend to come out on the possible precitation/low light days and hence have lighter coloured lenses in them. I wouldn't consider wearing dark goggles on a blue sky day. So I find I only need one set of lenses for the goggles, because the conditions that I use them in mean light lenses promoting contrast in ground (possibly pale yellow) are the order of the day in the goggles, and I buy my sunnies (which are prescription ones - I use contacts with the goggles) as dark as I can get. Also, the goggle days can often feel cooler due to a lack of sunshine and the goggles keep my face warmer.

I do wear a brain protector and sod the fact that I might look odd when I wear the sunnies and don't believe that I do.

N.B. I have bought all my goggles sight and try-on unseen.
snow report
Would normal sunglasses do on bright days? Or will the wind interfere with the eyes too much? Otherwise I'll have to aim at goggles with an allrounder lens (as Colin said)..... or interchangeable lenses.
I don't know if I'll be wearing the brain bucket. I'm at the beginner/intermediate stage with skiing but might turn to boarding which would then be beginner. I'm assuming that, while there will be more falls, they should be slower, so I shouldn't need one. That said. Most of the injuries I've got mountain biking have been at the slower speeds.
snow report
AlanB1976, please don't ask the helmet question! Laughing

I wear sunglasses 90% of the time. They are ski-specific sunglasses rather than just normal sunnies (darker and with more secure over-ear fitting). They cost £17.99 from Decathlon. Like Megamum I only wear goggles on flat light bad weather days when my sunglasses are too dark. They have a lighter purple grey lens.
snow conditions
Goggles every time. I can't wear sunglasses and ski - if conditions are bright/clear enough for glasses then I am going fast enough that they make my eyes water. Get some orange/red goggles that fit and you'll never need anything else.

I have two pairs of goggles. They are identical. I've never needed anything else.
snow report
AlanB1976, Some people seem to suffer from wind interference causing tears down the face with sunnies, personally I haven't found it problematical. I am not an expert skier - just an intermediate and don't whizz along at breakneck speed, but I'd take a lot of convincing to wear googles on decent sunny days even if I did.
snow report
Megamum, Laughing I get tears at Hemel sometimes wink
ski holidays
Maybe I should buy a pair of orange/red goggles and then try my normal sunnies if the weather is good and see if they bother me. Then I'll at least have something to turn to if they do. although I must admit that I've never been a fan of the reddy type lenses.
latest report
Anyone know how much I would look at for a cheap pair of sunnies/goggles at Tignes if I needed? I'm doing the ski and snowboard camp and they say they have gear there, but I'm assuming that is only major gear ?!
ski holidays
AlanB1976, which camp are you doing the I/O early one, Tignes will be expensive for goggles
ski holidays
AlanB1976, Can't resist. Catch a heel edge when snowboarding, on a flattish track, and you will definitely want to be wearing a helmet.
Unless you really do like falling backwards and hitting your head on an icy surface.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
livetoski, I'm going to be there 9-12 Nov
cad99uk, .... ok..... I'll rent a bucket when I try the snowboarding. Not many brain cells to protect NehNeh
snow report
hang11 wrote:
^^IMO. Some gaper will disagree, but I'm correct. IMO.

One day, Hang11, us gapers will rule the slopes. One day..

Then you'll be sorry...
ski holidays
At the price of the Amazon goggles you might as well blow £18. They'll charge you that for the box in Tignes.

If you get a week of glorious sunshine you'll feek you've wasted your money. If it snows all week you'll feel they were the best £20 you ever spent.
snow report
AlanB1976,
Quote:
So, my question is, are goggles more popular to ski with? I got sunglasses but they are more casual and so don't block out the wind. Should I rather spend £10 buying a cheap set of goggles before I go?

You've essentially answered your own question -As rob@rar, said (he's an instructor and a good one snowHead ) the wind will find a way in through/around glasses. In bad conditions (blizzard etc) it will perhaps make the difference between finding your way off the mountain safely or having to rely upon rescue. Have a look on the SH Buy, Sell Exchange section and/or on eBay as tenner is unlikely to buy more than a really crap pair both in visual and in performance terms.Better to do yourself a favour and save your beer money from just one evening. I picked up 3 pairs on this way on SH's last year and I'm delighted with them. Always good to carry a spare pair just in case. Your £10 idea sounds like buy cheap, pay twice..........rolling eyes

I have a feeling if you conduct a poll of prices paid for decent goggles on SH, it would come out well north of £10! Embarassed There are a couple of pairs of secondhand Oakleys on eBay -you could do worse. Cool
latest report
WHAT.... sacrifice beer money!!!! Neh Neh
I'm the type of person that will gladly spend money on something decent. The problem is that I don't know if they will bother me and I'd end up wasting all that money and the extra on getting sunnies. If I had used them in the past and knew that I would use them more, I'd get a good pair. I will have a look at the classifieds and on ebay and see if I can get a good bargan (considering I don't know what features and brands to look for NehNeh ). Otherwise I'll get cheap and if, after my short trip, decide I like the goggles, I'll maybe consider spending a bit more.
ski holidays
AlanB1976, have a look at Bargain Boards - they often have some good things on there - I've had several items from them.
latest report
bought some Scott goggles last year - they weren't too bad at all. Check out the end of season sales - I've just googled Scott goggles for you and found this http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Scott_Ski_Snowboard_Goggles.html there are some reasonable prices listed.

Also as noted above - keep an eye on the buy/sell board here - that's where I picked up my Oakleys for a really good price. Don't forget once you get the basic goggle it's never as much to replace the lens and you can do this on a decent brand - keep an eye out for a decent goggle for a really good price with a scratched lens and then cost the replacement lens and scratch goggle vs. a new pair - you might come out on top.
snow report
Megamum,
Quote:
I've just googled Scott goggles for you and found this http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Scott_Ski_Snowboard_Goggles.html there are some reasonable prices listed.
+1 -They're not Oakley but they are very reasonably priced.

AlanB1976,
Quote:
If I had used them in the past and knew that I would use them more, I'd get a good pair
I did the same which is why I'm such a big Oakley fan and I'm trying to save you that pain as they have great lenses, very clear and they don't fog.

Megamum, post reminded me that I also have a pair of Dragon which are IMHO better than most Scott's, certainly for the kinda money you don't want to spend! http://www.snowhead.co.uk/dragon_ski_goggles.htm (Love the ironic website address!) The youth fit should be Ok on the top one providing you take a medium helmet and don't have a head as wide as my ego Embarassed It would be £30 well spent and they'd easily go for £15 or so if you don't like them

These also look good http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAGON-ROGUE-Ski-Snow-Goggles-/170690570951?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_GogglesSunglasses_JN&hash=item27bdf36ac7 Actually they look REALLY good if you can get them near the starting price Cool Cool
snow report
Hmmm...... I've got quite a large head. I say it's from all the brains. My wife says it's just air.
So I wouldn't risk getting anything online that is medium. Thanks for the suggestions though. I think I'll try some on at TKMaxx tomorrow and get a feel on size. Then I can feel a bit more secure in bidding on some online. I just hope I don't get my usual impulsive way and end up buying one straight away.
snow conditions
AlanB1976, as a beginner the chances are that you will not be going fast enough for the wind to bother your eyes when wearing sunglasses. On sunny days they will work just fine but do allow some glare in around the edges. In bad weather, you need goggles, end of story.

Things to bear in mind for goggles and sunglasses:

* Snow has very high albedo; the light bounces everywhere and is super bright. After a few hours of this, your eyes become scratchy and uncomfortable. If you're sensitive to light, you could also end up with headaches. Go for eyewear with a light transmission of about 10%.
If you already have Oakleys with low light transmission, then they are perfect for sunny days. This means you only have to buy goggles for flat light, which you would also use when it's snowing or raining. No need to fork out for fancy goggles with interchangeable lenses at this stage if you don't want to.

* On flat light days, you need something that allows a lot of light through (transmission of about 80% or higher) and provides good contrast so that you can see where the hell you're going, so go for a yellow, orange or pink lens tints.

To give you an idea of what the different colour lenses do, Oakley has a handy lens tint tool on their site. The caveat is that the tool can't simulate just how frickin' bright it can be on sunny days! Or just how grey and washed out everything looks in low, flat light and you can't distinguish one lump of snow from another.

The more expenses brands use double lenses in their goggles (and vents around the frame) for a reason: to stop fogging. The purpose of goggles is to ensure you have clear vision. This purpose is entirely defeated if the goggles fog up constantly - you'll end up not wearing them and will be back to square one.

Happy shopping! I am a little envious, I love buying new gear but have everything I need, so can't justify the expense, damnit.
latest report
I tend to always wear goggles even on days when sunnies would do.

I've got really sensitive photophobic eyes though, due at least partially to a spate of nasty* recurrent conjunctivitis when I was a teenager.

*in the words of my GP at the time: the worst he'd ever seen. He was approaching retirement.
snow conditions
Nothing worse for skiing than cheap goggles (except sunglasses).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy