Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Talk to me about ST Anton.

Poster: A snowHead
Off to St Anton the last week of March on a ski stag holiday. Somewhere I've always wanted to go to but never have mostly due to the groups I've been with in the pasts reluctance due to it's rep.

TBH it may still be slightly wasted on some of our group, particulary the one in our group who only has a week or so skiing in. So where should we head for them to build confidence. Myself and another mate will be looking to get a guide for at least a couple of days, any suggestions? Our chosen accomadation doesn't have the best location by the looks of it 10 minutes walk to Nasserein gondola, but with a bus stop directly outside apparently.

Would like to hear opinions/tips from anyone who has been.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grizwald, I went with my daughter for the first time at February half term. We stayed near Nasserein too and found it a good starting point although we were a little closer. It opens early and the queues weren't too bad. We didn't go off piste with a guide but some of the itineraries were pretty good. Not a great place for beginners tbh, from memory from the Nasserein gondola down towards the main part of town has some of the easier slopes or over the Rendl side (quieter too). It's a great place!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grizwald, these are the guys to talk to re off piste... http://www.pistetopowder.com/

Your friend with one week will probably be happier over on the Rendl side.

Since the gondola, Nasserein is much better place to stay than it used to be. A 10 minute stroll downhill shouldn't kill you and it's a good freshener after an evening out of beer and wondering if the female of the species has died out.

Nasserein has an interesting history. People talk of ghosts. Locals don't mention it. Some homework for you.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies. It was another £130-£150 to stay in a chalet further into St Anton proper, which is allot of beer tokens! What's going on with hire prices?! Some sort of cartel on the go?! I have my own gear so not bothered, ski wise I think the lads might be better trying to pick up some second hand bargains on Ebay etc.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Send the beginnerish ones to ski school, pref starting the first or second day rather than towards the end - beginners/intermediates I have 'sent' there have found it to be excellent. I think there is a meeting point at Nasserein. For you: don't get a guide - it's more rewarding and way cheaper to sign up for Piste to Powder group days if they are running, as suggested above, or - for a more international group - to enrol in Powder Club, www.powderclub.at, a daily powder group or groups depending on numbers run as an arm of the Arlberg Ski School. Absolutely excellent; in my experience groups are around 4-6 and you go all over the place, off the back of Sonnenkopf and Rendl, to all the places you'd go with a guide. But it's only about 90 Euros a day. Make sure you're fit - they keep moving! The only downside for you is that they meet at Galzig at 9am so you'll need to be up early and get a bus over. But I think it's worth it!
And don't forget to make a meeting plan for apres-ski; Mooserwirt pref to Krazy Kangaruh in my opinion; also check out Underground, a little way up town from the Galzig bottom station, direcgtion Mooserwirt; good for food too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Grizwald, Its the business, you'll have a magic time. Dont worry about location, the buses are very frequesnt and taxis reasonable rather than those late staggers back, if theres a few of you. The skiing has something for everyone, I agree Rendl is good for beginners but the run back into town is quite busy and steep for new skiers (and especially uphill on MTB like 2 weeks ago). Also for early skiers the run down to St Christoph and Albona area via Stuben are great. Kapall down to Galzig is also a great high, steady area.

With guides the skies your limit, off piste is best with a guide though, they know the best snow and safest routes.

Theres loads been posted on here and on other threads re apres bars, so will not spend time on that for you, suffice to say its brilliant, try Griabli for a late afternoon beer inside when its hammering down with snow outside no better place to be.

Ignore the stuff about hire shops cartel, do some haggling and you'll get a deal. Also top gear in most places, if you use Alber Ski Depot opposite Galzig you can leave the skis/ poles there rather than lugging about too.

Going 3x next season, and will be there 3rd week of March, late season is arguably the best time to go IMO, the Arlberg holds the snow really well and you'll have a great time!! Enjoy it. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The benefit of Nasserein is, as ColinB says - less of a queue than at Galzig (generally of course, try to avoid the skischool rush as with anywhere). The downside is that it is a long way from Mooserwirt and KK and the Fang bar at Nasserein just doesn't cut it for me as apres when you know that the others are at the other end of the village.

The run back under the Nasserein gondola starts with a fairly steep, but very wide black, although there is a snake path that crosses it a few times for those who don't want to take it on.

Rendl is excellent for beginners and, as long as you take it steady, the run back down is only tricky on a couple of the bends after they've been rutted.

All the bars in town have their own USP. You'll end up going to them all and finding your fave. The Italian restaurant in Nasserein village is good food but a bit family orientated.

There are a few bars on the walk back from town to Nasserein to top up on the way home (assuming you haven't stayed in the Kandaha until 4am). The Albi is my favourite stop off place but the little bar just uphill from the gondola is like going into a northern pub in the 1960's. Apres ski it ain't. But it sells cheap beer.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 7-09-11 10:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Take a suitcase of cash and expect it to be empty at the end of the week. The ski school used to run a 'powder club' which was jut the business - and knackered me when I did a day with them. Great place - you'll have a ball.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As Bode Swiller said, go to http://www.pistetopowder.com/ who are guides but will put you in with a group of the same standard rather than having to hire a guide just for yourselves which is extremely expensive (unless you are a group of 5 or 6). They are more expensive than similar outfits in France, though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Grizwald, When are you there, I might be keen to share your guide and reduce your price if you are OK for me to potentially tag on? I'm there a week later than I thought, 24-31.03.12.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski hire prices are crazy. We couldnt get a deal anywhere. Twas 1/2 term though but 175euro for boots and skis is taking the p1ss. Look at loads of other threads on here for lots of discussion about the terrain for beginners / low intermediates. I think its about more about attitude/nerve than skill - a timid skiier will find St A tough going.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the replies, I'll let those who need the gear decide what they want to do-are the online prices actually any cheaper than you can get just walking into the hire shop? The website tey to tell you it's up to 25% if you book online (Intersport).

I keep saying I'm not going to go with beginners but keep doing it. At the risk of sounding sexist, it's usually when we go in a big mixed group where some of the girls I've skied with for the first time, who have skied for years just 'won't have a go.' Last year I went with a group that included one lass that had boarded for years, on getting there she wouldn't go anywhere near a red even wouldn't entertain it so had to plan an alternate route just for her. This after having boarded for 10+ years.

My mate is a pro instructor, just does it part time now though but he's never been to St Anton so doesn't know the terrain. All the apres ski sounds awesome, don't think I've skied with more than a couple of pints on board-might make me better!!!

We're there the same week Markymark so give me a shout nearer the time and we can sort something out. No issue tagging along at all!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I honsetly found it over rated, its ok but i much prefer Val disere as far as big resorts and big ski areas go. As for the skiing, some good terrain, but we enjoyed the skiing in lech more especialy the off piste.

Would go again at sometime in the future but there are places i would go back to 1st, for me St Anton lacked a bit of sole. Hard to explain but it just did not do it for me, i have enjoyed other Austria resorts more. I would say the terrain in St Anton and Lech, Zurs etc are fine for any int.skier. The runs are what you would expect and non of the blacks are that fearsome. some of the itinery routes are ecellent if snow conditions allow. also some of the blue and red runs are manic at the end of the day, ive never had so many near misses with idiots at the end of the day in my whole ski career compared to 1 week in St Anton. Be Carefull for out of control skiers on the home runs at 4pm ish.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
depthjunkie, Just shows we dont all like the same things. I cant say I agree with much of your post here.

My only comments really are that the off-piste in Arlberg is on a par with Verbier as what I reckon #1 in the Alps, on-piste skiing is not motorway cruising its much more varied than most resorts I've been to and for me thats what I much prefer, and I havent seen the idiots at 4pm, certainly no worse than coming down off Solaise or into La Daille past the Follie Douce at post-champers time! Yes, Rendl R1 can get a bit giddy at 4pm, but thats a function of the seasonaires bashing down to start work IME and most of theose guys are accomplished park riders and they know what they are doing, they know how to avoid slower skiers in front.

Soulless?? Compared to what? French resorts? St Anton is a 600-700 year old working town, with many historical buildings that date back to 1500 AD, eg has a working farm community right in the middle of Nasserein, and is the birthplace of Alpine skiing, Schneider et al. Its an ancient trading town with a thriving local population...........hardly souless IMO.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have worked in St Anton for two seasons now, have found it to be a fantastic resort, sure its overrun by party mad Brits, Dutch and Swedish ski-bums, but it's a hell of a lot of fun!

If you're staying in Nasserein that should be no problem, there are two Bus lines that go through so you'll have no trouble getting the bus in the morning to the Nasserein gondola, if you have beginners or early intermediates, Nasserein has far more accessible terrain at that level compared to central St Anton, but is still within very easy access of the entire ski area!

As for Apres ski, what can you say St Anton has some of the best. Have to say my preferred spot is the Krazy Kangaruh, but the Mooserwirt is very good (bit pricey though) If you want somewhere more chilled, Anton bar at the Galzig valley station is a great place to chill, mind you it will be full of instructors after work. Bodega the spanish Tapas bar is awesome, great food, great people it is pricey but I think its worth it!

As for people saying its soulless, I disagree, it has a certain charm to it the village, central pedestrian zone is quaint and at certain times has various events going on. Ok its not quite as quaint and charming as some other villages in Austria, but then they don't have everything else thats going on like St Anton. If you want really traditional Austrian and somewhere very quaint whilst still having the Arlberg skiing then Lech-Zurs would be more suitable... but Grizwald for what you want, Anton is perfect!
snow report
Grizwald, If you ski around Rendl for the first day, you'll all get your ski legs. Rendl is amongst the queitest areas in the pass - pistes well maintained, some nice (if not challenging) ski routes and a decent self service restaurant mid mountain and more traditional one lower down the hill.

I would also suggest hitting the Griabli before the Mooserwirt (just opposite). Best pint of beer IMO, table service and some great live music. The Moos is great and has to be done, but can be quite frustrating trying to get your first beer of the afternoon in there cause it's so busy. The wait doesn't seem quite as long once you've had a few pints of Kaiser in the Griabli.

Also worth hitting Underground on The Piste - just to the right of the slope down from the Moos. And definitely go to see Gunar at Kandahar (has played at Picadilly for years but now playing at Kandahar) - live music and usually jumpin'
snow report
The best black runs were re-designated as Itineraries to allow the resort to keep them open at times they might otherwise have to shut them or do extensive maintenance.
The off piste is the point of St Anton and it is as tough as you want and extremely extensive (much of it a very long way from any pistes and sometimes requiring taxis or even trains to get back from. Currently it is my number one off piste resort, but you do need a guide.
ski holidays
snowball, +1 Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks for the additional info folks, some very useful info.

Beer token planning wise what is the going rate for a pint in the popular places? Anywhere where it's noticably cheaper than elsewhere? Where would be our cloest supermarket to stock up on cheap beer? We're in a catered chalet so apart from the hosts night off we're sorted apart from lunch. Any recomendations for a nice restaurant for a sit down evening meal? Don't tend to eat much in the day, usually load up at breakfast and carry a few cereal/energy bars to took in to.
snow report
Plenty of Info Here.

Arlberg Snow Report & Info 2011/12

Arlberg Snow Report & Info 2010/11

Arlberg Snow Report & Info 2009/10

Arlberg Snow Report & Info 2008/9

Arlberg Off Piste

Arlberg Off Piste Tour 2010

Loads more info from Sidney in St Anton

http://www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk/
ski holidays
Grizwald wrote:
Thanks for the additional info folks, some very useful info.

Beer token planning wise what is the going rate for a pint in the popular places? Anywhere where it's noticably cheaper than elsewhere? Where would be our cloest supermarket to stock up on cheap beer? We're in a catered chalet so apart from the hosts night off we're sorted apart from lunch. Any recomendations for a nice restaurant for a sit down evening meal? Don't tend to eat much in the day, usually load up at breakfast and carry a few cereal/energy bars to took in to.

Whish chalet are you staying in? Spar's the only supermarket in St Anton, or there's MPreis in St Jakob but for that you'd have to get a taxi. For a large beer you'd be paying somewhere around the 4-5 Euro mark.
snow report
There is a second supermarket in St. Anton's pedestrian zone, could be MPreis but I'm not sure.
latest report
Yeah, Nah and Frisch, but I don't know what's happening to it. Closed down at the end of this Winter and was an empty shell when I walked past a few days ago.
ski holidays
We're staying in Schlosshof. Only review I could find is not so good but £500 to get there and be fed and watered I thought was pretty good. I've used Crystal before and the chalet staff have always been been good home cooks. Helps that I'd eat a scabby horse at the best of times, more so after a days skiing!
latest report
Quote:
Stanton Lots of useful info

Thanks Stanton that was really helpful.
snow report
Grizwald, I'd advise a big stock up at the start of the week at Mpreis (on main road, bus route 2 from main bus station (free) and a slight walk down through St Jakob (get off bus just after Hotel Gletscherblick) and taxi back (8-10€) pass the supermarket all the time, no need to book, cheap beers (6 x 0.5 Hirters at 5.99€), and lots of normal UK supermarket prices for lunch bars/ energy drinks and usual lads sh*t rather than inflated St Anton town supermarket prices..................spend a bunch in here and your set up for the week.
ski holidays
Yeah I know the Schlosshof (did a season for Crystal in St Anton). Ski bus stops right outside the door so handy for that. It's at the bottom of the toboggan run which is always good fun to do (open every day included on your lift pass, or floodlit two nights a week which costs extra but they have a band playing at the bar up at the top of Gampen for it). Only down side to being up there is that it's quite a way from the main apres venues at the other end of town but there are a few bars at that end that are good for beers (Fang, Dooleys). There's a pizza restaurant just a minute or two down the road too (San Antonios).
ski holidays
Sitter wrote:
Yeah I know the Schlosshof (did a season for Crystal in St Anton). Ski bus stops right outside the door so handy for that. It's at the bottom of the toboggan run which is always good fun to do (open every day included on your lift pass, or floodlit two nights a week which costs extra but they have a band playing at the bar up at the top of Gampen for it). Only down side to being up there is that it's quite a way from the main apres venues at the other end of town but there are a few bars at that end that are good for beers (Fang, Dooleys). There's a pizza restaurant just a minute or two down the road too (San Antonios).
Unless it's had a major refit, the infamous Sclosshof is pretty shabby.

We stayed there over a decade ago though, so you never know.

Poor location back then (before they opened the new lift) and what a hike to the civilised nightlife.

Been back since, stayed last time at the dreadful Hotel Valluga - must just have bad luck with hotels there, but the skiiing was great - try the ski-trailing from St Anton - St Christoph - Lech - Zurs, I'm smiling as I recall being up to my knees in powder.................. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't think it has had a refit (was with Crystal 08/09 tho working in a different chalet). Having said that the guests that I met that stayed there didn't seem to mind, they just seemed to be there to enjoy the skiing and the night life.

Grizwald, closest place for you for beers will probably be Dooleys, was around the 3.80 Euro mark for a large one last season IIRC. About a 5-10 min walk away. Fang was a similar price and just a couple of minutes further (can't remember the normal prices as both do seasonnaire discounts).
snow conditions
It does look pretty fresh in the pictures, well better than the others that were in that price range. Just want somewhere to eat, sleep, and wash so not too arsed if it's a bit of a dive. Location ski wise seems fine with the new-ish lift, will have to live with the location Apres wise again the ones closer into ST Anton were £150 more.
ski holidays
On the same topic ish - toying with a long weekend am Arlberg. Any shuttle services run from ZRH - looks like the train doesn't run late enough for evening arriving flights?
ski holidays
fatbob, http://www.arlbergexpress.com/En-en/zurich_airport_shuttleservice.aspx
snow conditions
+1 for the night tobogganing. Fantastic fun with a big group, and stop at the Rodelalm for some grostl (hearty dish of setak, onions and potatoes)
ski holidays
Grizwald, The reputation for tough slopes is grossly over exaggerated. There are plenty of slopes for all grades. As far as skiing is concerned the only real problem is badly overcrowded slopes, all day, which gets worse still at the homeward bound time of day.

Apres skiing on the otherhand is nuts, fantastic, and strictly not for beginners. I'm an expert in this area and have found the world spiing out of control around my head on several occasions. The Mooserwirt rules for me !! Laughing
ski holidays
Rhoobarb, Tiroler Gröstl is made with Speck not steak - so it is pork, smoked and then diced! That may have a bearing on whether people can eat it or not! Laughing

beeryletcher, it is only 2 particularly bad runs down Happy Valeey that really crowded at the end of the day. Good timing and use of the piste maps can usually avoid the main hazards, unless of course you WANT to join the rush to the Mooserwirt Laughing
ski holidays
My mate goes on about this grostl stuff but I've yet to try it. I'm a big of tarte flette however! Went for a ski in the fridge at Glasgow on Saturday so got my first ski in of the season. My mates off to do some Race training in November, wish I didn't have so long to wait until my first trip, hopefully will get some good conditions in Scotland to get a few weekends in.
latest report
Samerberg Sue, My own experiences of St. Anton (I've been 4 times now, and will go again - love it) have always been busy pistes everywhere, including Rendl side. The only way I found to escape properly is Stuben.

I've been skiing since 1980 (usually 3 times a year) and have been all over, including all the big Frenchies and loads of Austrian resorts. Sadly for me (and my team agree with this) St. Anton has the busy pistes of them all, regardless of colour. Hell, even the itineries were busy !
ski holidays
I went for the first time at half term. TBH I didn't think it was that busy. Some of the runs got crowded at ski school changeover times and the return runs late afternoon, apart from that not so bad.
snow conditions
beeryletcher, just because it has been busy when you have been there does not mean that every piste is full all season. January after the 6th is quiet as is post Half Term in March. Even Easter is not that crowded as most Europeans see Easter as the beginning of the Mediterranean season of summer.

However, the piste down to the Mooserwirt via Happy Valley (Blue 01) is always fairly packed at the end of most days. It gets badly cut up and has some nasty blind corners as well as bottlenecks that are really intimidating for the less confident or those responsible for those type of skiers. It is easily avoided by catching lift 20 (Mattunbahn - now a 4-seater) and coming down Blue 23 or Red 21 from the Gampen-Kapall side. This is also the best way to link back to the Nasserein /St Jakob side. But you then have to walk or take a taxi back to the Mooserwirt or KK if that's where you want to be. They both have top be experienced at least once in your life I suppose. I enjoy people watching at the Mooserwirt but prefer the old KK or Griabli for my own eating and drinking.

I've also skied St Anton on many occasions and have always found places on the Galzig side that are not too crowded in high season as well as the Rendl side. The quietest and most interesting area for me is over the Stuben side on Albonagrat - even at New Year that are is quiet! some excellent off-piste as well Toofy Grin
snow report
beeryletcher wrote:
Samerberg Sue, My own experiences of St. Anton (I've been 4 times now, and will go again - love it) have always been busy pistes everywhere, including Rendl side. The only way I found to escape properly is Stuben.

I've been skiing since 1980 (usually 3 times a year) and have been all over, including all the big Frenchies and loads of Austrian resorts. Sadly for me (and my team agree with this) St. Anton has the busy pistes of them all, regardless of colour. Hell, even the itineries were busy !

Think you have been very unlucky!

I've been to St. A about 10 times over the last 30 year (4 in the last 6) and the inly buy places are Happy V at about 3.30 to 4.30 and somethines the Valfagerbhan at the end of the day....

Guess you've been unlucky...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy