Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TJ Baldwin - British Ski team - funding appeal

Poster: A snowHead
Wonder what Norwich FC's annual wage bill is... Would £15k make any difference, if they could drum up more local supporters?

Airlines are a good idea to save personal costs, but a better one would be to get Virgin to sponsor the GB team: another chance to fly the flag? Although maybe one of the airlines who actually fly to Alpine destinations might see a more direct ROI.

In the end, a half decent PR should be able to suggest a dozen ideas, a fraction of which would solve the problem.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plugboy, I own an IT consultancy firm and we could get involved on the website development side of things (for free) and I'll also throw in a years worth of website hosting on our servers as well, in return for website/other possible advertising for two of my other IT companies (I'm also intermediate level skier looking to improve Smile !)

I've built from the ground up a few companies over the years and clients include the big 4 accounting firms and investment banks so I might be able to help on the marketing side, or at least ping a few emails out to contacts inside these companies to see if any are interested.

If it's of interest, just let me know.

Chris
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ChrisKitchen, Thanks. Very interested, will PM you.
AB
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just like to say a massive thank you to ChrisKitchen for doing TJ's new website for free. And to Zero-G for taking some professional photos which will go on the new site.
2 very kind Snowheads.
Hopefully everything will be up and running in a couple of weeks.
TJ will be on the SCGB & BSS stand at the Olympia ski show at the end of the month, so if anyone wants to have a chat, look him up.
Still looking for the major sponsor though. A couple of leads but that's all.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You have PM
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Glad to hear some positive news.

We will go and check him out at LL Winterstart.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here's a masterclass from a ski racer going for sponsorship:

Mike Janyk Sponsor pitch Video from Mike Janyk
http://vimeo.com/30464395
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller, Very impressive (and fun!) promotion video.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Iski, and the big difference is that it is a business-like pitch and not a "funding appeal"
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excellent example of what's possible, and probably not that expensive to produce.. ( pop's off to share it on FB as suggested wink )
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
it is very impressive..........
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That's brilliant! Has just the right tone. If I was a sponsor, I'd be taking notice.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Enjoyed that.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, TJ came round for the photo shoot and he is a fabulous young man. He came across as down-to-earth and quick to laugh at himself. And really believes he will make it too. An excellent ambassador for British snow sports.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zero-G, snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

He is one of the best known sportsman (outside football) in Norfolk as he has won the BBC radio Norfolk Sports personality of the year award and was in the final of the BBC Look east sports personality award - he was also in the final 10 of the BBC Young sports personality award the same year. He has been on Look East & About Anglia regional TV programmes on numerous accaisions as well as CH4 & Eurosport 2.

Include the above info (and that of the rest of that post) on the website. We only know he does this stuff because of your post, if you go to the website (as I did) there are no photos of him with kids at dry ski slopes, or any info on his Sports Personality of the Year stuff.

He's obviously doing a lot of the right things, make sure people know!
ski holidays
Have you tried approaching companies like Ellis Brigham and Snow and Rock for equipment sponsorship?

Also, newspapers like The Times and The Telegraph are quite keen on their snow sports holidays etc... you never know, they might be keen to have him as a paid columnist, keeping people up to date with events, locations etc throughout the season. Good money to be made here. I'm assuming he can write though Very Happy

You could get him in with one of the big holiday companies for a bit of sponsorship = accommodation. Have you approached Crystal Ski, Inghams etc.

Food... everyone on the planet needs to eat. Top level athletes need to eat better than most. Have you approached large food/catering organisations for some sponsorship in return for supplies. Or even some of the big supermarkets. Would they pay good money to sponsor one of the UKs top athletes... possibly

http://www.britishcompanies.co.uk/food.htm

Insurance. Have you approaced someone like Dogtag to ask if he could have insurance in return for some model time for use in their advertising (dogtag advertise on this site)

Flights and liftpasses are something I can't think off right now.

Most importantly though, have you actually thought about paying someone who really really knows what they are doing to market him for you? ie. Www.radicalsportsmanagement.com

What you need is a really really good events organiser, with T.J. being the event.
snow report
Have you thought about a ski dinner? Sort out an evening at (eg) Hemel, booking the whole slope and bar area. TJ shakes a lot of hands, everyone gets to ski for an hour, gets pictures taken etc and then goes upstairs for a posh dinner (nb must include tartiflette...). After the dinner there's an auction of ski kit, ski holidays, one-on-one skiing with TJ etc. 150 tickets at £75/head plus auction proceeds has to get you close to £15k. Do it in the summer when the slope is quietest and you might get a great deal. I know a local charity round me that does this sort of thing and raises £100k from the night (youth employment charity though, not sports).
snow conditions
Plugboy, might not be a popular idea but with the withdrawal of government funds should the UK clubs step up to help fill the void? perhaps club members should be supporting elite athletes that sprung from the grass roots... not sure what Norfolk ski club's committees view would be but if they added say £10 or £20 to everyones annual subs to support one of their own whilst on the National team that would help quite a bit and give some inspiration to the young ones coming up. If i was a parent and had youngsters in a club i would happily help support one of my clubs own alumni

At MK Ski race club we had Sega Fairweather in as a "role model coach" not so much as another pair of hands or a technical coach but to answer the kids questions on the hill and explain what a full time athlete does.. perhaps that is another option for TJ to explore.

Bravo to ChrisKitchen and Zero-G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
shoogly wrote:
Have you tried approaching companies like Ellis Brigham and Snow and Rock for equipment sponsorship?
Atomic supplies his skis and boots. Colmar his British team kit. But EB and S&R could, concievably, supply all the other bits.

shoogly wrote:
Insurance. Have you approaced someone like Dogtag to ask if he could have insurance in return for some model time for use in their advertising (dogtag advertise on this site)
That will be a closed set photo shoot Toofy Grin

shoogly wrote:
Most importantly though, have you actually thought about paying someone who really really knows what they are doing to market him for you? ie. Www.radicalsportsmanagement.com
I think that was suggested on the first page and it's a solid suggestion. The world has changed and athletes need professional management. I just don't believe that you can get away with a 'mom and pop' approach these days.
snow report
Plugboy, Way to late for this season I guess, but have you considered an American college program? I would have thought he might be able to get a scholarship at some of the colleges with his points. I know it is extremely competitive to get a spot on certain teams but there is a fair few to apply to and some impressive set ups. Might be worth a go or investigating?

Another option is to get on the BASI ladder + a test technique and he will be able to earn a considerable amount of his own expenses in a short time (Half term/Holiday weeks). With TASS and a bit of work in the season I manage to cover my own racing expenses for a season, it might require missing the odd weeks training or race but when there is a need there’s a must (I think that’s a saying) Smile

Anyway hope that helps.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the suggestions to get sponsorship/funding for TJ.
shoogly, As Zero-G, said, TJ get all his Atomic skis & boots directly from Atomic factory. He's at the factory next week getting boots fitted. All his clothing is supplied to the team by Colmar. His Gloves, goggles, poles, guards and helmets are all supplied to the team by Uvex, Leki & Level. So he actually does not need any equipment sponsors, and Ellis B & S+R could not supply the stuff he requires anyhow. SkiBartlett already help with the Atomic deal.

It would be good to get a sponsor on board with accomodation, however it is almost impossible for a TO to provide him with it. He is part of the GB team and travels with his coach and at least 2 other athletes.- the team are based in Zell Am see for the whole season, where they leave their equipment and stay/train when not racing. As they are travelling all over Europe (40,000km) to around 60 races they only spend about 10 days per month in Zell at the most. They stay in B&B when at races at places where the TO's probably don't have anything to offer. We have tried before with someone who offered a base in France. Not too good when the team were based in Austria.

The food sonsorship is another thing we looked at. He is only in the Uk for 3 months of the year so that would be ok. But for the other 9 months when he is in North/South America and all over Europe it just would be very difficult to get the food to him, especially with space so limited on transport.

michael stocking, A great idea, we are already looking into this for next year at the Norfolk ski Club, but think it could be better at an indoor slope.

skimottaret, Have approched the NSC a number of times for support. He did get £165 in 2002 when he was selected for the GB Children's team, then another £500 in 2006 when selected for the GB Youth team. But nothing since. Have asked the committe for some support this season back in July. Still not heard back from them. They only have £250K in the bank so might not be able to afford much! Puzzled
They are not going to put their membership up this year anyway because of the current economic climate. They only have 4000+ members anyhow!

Zero-G, Thanks again for doing the photo shoot. And for the good things you said about TJ.
Totally agree about the 'Mom & Pop' issue, and will be contacting some sports management companies today.

jjc, We did look into the American college thing a few years ago. But it was not possible. He will be 22 next year and probably racing World Cup so it would definately not be viable to do that. There are a number of younger US team racers now on WC who have come off the College programme to join the team.

The Michael Janyk video is great. Anyone know how to do this kind of thing? Being a complete techno dullard!

Just to put things into perspective. TJ did have good cash sponsorship until March 2011. He lost 3 sponsors in the space of 6 months totalling nearly £10K. This was almost entirely due to the current economic climate.
He just needs to replace those sponsors so that he can pay for all his expenses of around £15K during the 9 months he is racing and training with the GB team.
snow report
Plugboy, The Video is Credited to these people...

Credits;

Motion Graphics by Natasha Ali (natashaali.com)

Written by: Mike Janyk (mikejanyk@gmail.com) & Jarrod Banadyga (jarrodbanadyga.com)

Recorded at Ampersound Productions (ampersoundproductions.com)

Logo by Mike Meadus (@mikemeadus73)

Maybe worth contacting them.
snow conditions
Quote:

He did get £165 in 2002 when he was selected for the GB Children's team, then another £500 in 2006 when selected for the GB Youth team. But nothing since. Have asked the committe for some support this season back in July. Still not heard back from them. They only have £250K in the bank so might not be able to afford much!
They are not going to put their membership up this year anyway because of the current economic climate. They only have 4000+ members anyhow!

man that is depressing reading.... Not to detract from the good vibe and excellent suggestions but shame on the NSC committee. they could stick a one off small levi on subs or an optional donation when renewing membership to support one of their own... a few quid each would go a long way and give some inspiration to the tiddlers coming up. with the lack of government funding the clubs should step up in my view.. Perhaps you could dangle a main sponsor spot for them and have a badge or helmet tag with NSC , I am amazed that the parents of young ski racers wouldnt spend a couple quid to see a NSC badge on a world class athlete on Eurosport ...
snow report
There are some athletes that have been at college and doing well on world cup at the same time, Leif Haugen is a good current example http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18600&ATCLID=1584824 may be worth another look?
latest report
Putting a face to the name, here's our young Mr Baldwin:

TJ Baldwin
ski holidays
Hi pictures well. I would seriously try the OK / Hello magazine shoot. Once his website is up and running , send them these photos and a story.......
latest report
Zero-G, Great photo, really makes eye contact!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zero-G, Good looking young man. Must take after his father!! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Plugboy, Laughing
ski holidays
It's sad that such a talented sportsman can't get sponsorship, it's such a waste.
I don't understand why a company related to skiing doesn't jump at the chance.
Are there any OK companies that target their ads during the breaks in the Eurosport coverage? Because they will be spending that sort of money on a single show.
ski holidays
andyhull, ad breaks on Eurosport are cheap as chips. I know we all watch it but, otherwise, there's just a fat bloke in a string vest with a half-eaten pizza gawping at the monster truck derby. 20 second slots can be in the very low hundreds.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, would have never thought that cheap , do you have contact details?
ski holidays
skimottaret, I do, but you have to buy a lot of slots. Think their minimum spend is north of £10k. Basically, it's why you see the same ads ALL the time.
snow conditions
andyhull wrote:
It's sad that such a talented sportsman can't get sponsorship, it's such a waste.
I don't understand why a company related to skiing doesn't jump at the chance.

With due respect to TJ's immense talent you're looking at a minority sportsman in a minority spectator sport. The best shot a sponsor has for significant exposure is some sort of "Olympic Dreams" programme in the build up to Sochi as there's slim to none terrestial coverage of the sport and Eurosport is strictly fans only.

Noticed some nice looking Crystal/Travel Alberta ads on TV last night so clearly there is some money for marketing but someone's taken a view that sexy powder lines and snow are what sells not athletic performance.
snow report
last week one of my clients asked me for the names of 3 athletes who i thought had potential in either alpine or skier cross, the three names i gave were TJ baldwin, Emily Sarsfield and Matt Thompson, he didn't want anything more than names, he was going to pass the names to his marketing department and they would search the athletes websites, facebook pages etc to see who could potentially give their company the best exposure....... they guy runs an investment company so i hope everyone has their websites up to date and looking good
latest report
Plugboy, pm sent
snow conditions
CEM, Thank you for giving TJ's name. Hopefully something will come of it.
Also a belated thanks for sorting out TJ's boots at the Brits in Meribel.
He's off to Canada on the 19th for the Lake Louise World Cup then on to Beaver Creek for that World cup too.
Neilski, PM sent back
snow report
Quote:

last week one of my clients asked me for the names of 3 athletes who i thought had potential in either alpine or skier cross, the three names i gave were TJ baldwin, Emily Sarsfield and Matt Thompson, he didn't want anything more than names, he was going to pass the names to his marketing department and they would search the athletes websites, facebook pages etc to see who could potentially give their company the best exposure....... they guy runs an investment company so i hope everyone has their websites up to date and looking good

Thanks CEM ... really appreciate your support!

Being an athlete in British Winter Sports does have its challenges, as it is hard to finance and is not our national sport so coverage is not as mainstream ... however, one thing any sponsor will definitely get to work with is a dedicated, motivated individual!
snow report
Does TJ ever pop his head on here and post?

Maybe worth doing. Plenty of passing views and getting your name more recognised.

Unless you actually go looking for TJ Baldwin by 'googling' him, then....

Emily posting on here is a good thing imho. A link in her posts to her website, is good for any prospective sponser who maybe passing through.

Just an idea... Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy