Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Start off pants

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all
Firstly, does anyone know of a good place around Bristol to get some ski gear? I'm always weary of buying clothes online. Obviously, price is always a concern, specially since I am starting out. I'm always willing to upgrade later.
Then, I am looking to get some waterproof ski pants. Problem is that I don't know whether I'll head more to boarding or skiing, so, are there pants that would suit both? I heard that those meant for boarding often have padding at the behind, etc. Surely, that wouldn't have any negative impact to skiing?!
Also, are goggles necessary for a beginner/intermediate, or would normal sunglasses do?
Thanks
Alan
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Alan, I started with boarder pants, but fell over enough to go and get some sallopettes, as I am a skier, so thats my thoughts. It was the ice running up my back not the padding that was an issue.

Goggles will stay on your head for same reasons, but have found my £5 pair of sunglasses from Lidl do a pretty good job, and do not come off very easily. I use them more than the goggles, except when it really flat (light) or cold.

Good luck, did you get your trips sorted?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Good luck, did you get your trips sorted?

Hell.... 1 nightmare after another. Basically got them sorted. Awaiting reply from Ski&Board camp for my little trip in Nov and am awaiting quote from travel agent for the big one in Jan (at Hinterglemm).

Excuse me being a total idiot, but are 'sallopettes' just weatherproof pants with braces to hold them up?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AlanB1976 wrote:

Excuse me being a total idiot, but are 'sallopettes' just weatherproof pants with braces to hold them up?

Pretty much:-) They might come up a bit higher than regular waterproof trousers, so a bit better for keeping snow out. They might also be insulated.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Alan

I live in Bristol and bought some Vans "pants" last season from Ellis Brigham on Black Boy hill. I bought these as they were less baggier then most boarding trousers with a slight bootcut so perfect for skiing and boarding, they also look good. If I fall over in powder sometimes a bit of snow will end up down my trousers but thats all part of the fun for me. With regards to technical specs most trousers will have a "mg" number I believe this will determine their breathability and warmness? Perhaps another SH will be able to give you more on that one. You can buy seperate bum protector shorts to wear unnderneath if you do decide to board. Personally I don't like the bagginess of snowboard pants but I guess it depnds on your fashion taste? I tend to wear shades unless the weather/light is bad. Make sure there's no gaps for the wind to get in though as you'll spend most of the day wiping tears from your eyes. I've got some Anon shades which do the job but any pair of sports sunglasses will be fine just make sure they have decent Uv protection i.e. you didn't buy them off a hawker in Marbella this summer.
The main shops in Bristol are Snow & Rock and Ellis Brigham but IMO these tend to be quite expensive with limited choice. Skiwear4less is based in St Phillips and will sell budget gear as well as the more expensive brands, I think there's a Go Outdoors in Brislington also. They may have some of last years stock going cheap.

Good luck.

Wes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AlanB1976 wrote:

Yep, just waterproof etc with the braces - but you can use the word interchangeably for 'normal' ski trousers, and avoid using 'pants' (damn Americanisms...).

Frankly for now it doesn't really matter what you get, atm you're always gonna be within reach of a mountain hut for hot chocolate/schnapps if you do get cold, and I really doubt you'll find anything that isn't warm/waterproof enough. Get yourself down the TK Maxx/Millets etc and buy the cheapest thing you don't mind wearing.

I much prefer goggles to sunglasses whilst actually skiing, I always find wind gets into my eyes with glasses and makes them water (plus they look stupid with a helmet), and you get more complete UV protection too (in terms of no gaps left). I do always take glasses for chilling outside a bar/hiking/etc though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 31-08-11 23:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Get yourself down the TK Maxx/Millets etc and buy the cheapest thing you don't mind wearing.

+1. T K Maxx won't have ski gear in yet - and when they do, it's a case of sifting through the mountains of crap to find something good. You could ring your local branch and find out when they might start getting some ski gear in, but it won't be for a while. You should be able to buy something perfectly OK for £50. It might be worth checking any local places that hire out gear too. I spent pretty much the whole of the last two seasons in a pair of black Colombia ski trousers I bought ex-hire from our local ski shop (Filarinskis) for £10.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As for ski and boarding - I do board sometimes, and my more slinky trousers have no room for the armoured shorts wink . If you board, those shorts are a really good idea - and you need fairly generous sized trousers to accommodate them. I have a very baggy pair of Helly Hansen boarding trousers I bought in a sale in a shop in the south of France - many miles from the snow - for less than half price, 15 years ago. They have long side vents which are great when it's hot.

You can spend any amount on trousers, but there's no need to do so - lots of better things to spend it on. wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:
Get yourself down the TK Maxx/Millets etc and buy the cheapest thing you don't mind wearing.

+1

(Although I must admit the thread was going to go along the lines of "I start off pants and don't seem to improve..." - an experience we've all had from time to time...)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

and avoid using 'pants' (damn Americanisms...).

lol..... even the web sites use the word "pants". In future, to avoid confusion, I'll use the term "long material that keeps my legs warm" NehNeh
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AlanB1976 discount outlets such as Swindon or Bicester village have shops like Helly Hansen, North Face and Tog24 with heavily discounted prices. It is a bit hit and miss as to what they have available on the day you visit but you can often get a pair of waterproof, breathable pants retailing for over £200 for under £100.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AlanB1976, A couple of years ago the OH bought some really good goretex trousers in TK Maxx at Cribbs Causeway. It was early September so don't leave it too long before you start looking.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
AlanB1976 wrote:

Yep, just waterproof etc with the braces - but you can use the word interchangeably for 'normal' ski trousers, and avoid using 'pants' (damn Americanisms...).

Frankly for now it doesn't really matter what you get, atm you're always gonna be within reach of a mountain hut for hot chocolate/schnapps if you do get cold, and I really doubt you'll find anything that isn't warm/waterproof enough. Get yourself down the TK Maxx/Millets etc and buy the cheapest thing you don't mind wearing.

I much prefer goggles to sunglasses whilst actually skiing, I always find wind gets into my eyes with glasses and makes them water (plus they look stupid with a helmet), and you get more complete UV protection too (in terms of no gaps left). I do always take glasses for chilling outside a bar/hiking/etc though.

Hi Alan, another +1 to this

TK Maxx is great for starting out, and most stuff is pretty interchangeable. I spent my first 3 years skiing in a 'snowboard jacket', it really doesn't matter just pick stuff you like the look of. FWIW I can't stand sallopettes - this is purely and totally a personal pref thing, but I have always found the straps fall of numerous times a day, and I have never needed any help keeping my 'pants up' Laughing well.......

As for goggles - again personal pref but I don't like wearing sunglasses to ski, exactly the same reasons as Matt - but have a pair ready for the bar. You can get goggles pretty cheap.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cad99uk wrote:
AlanB1976, A couple of years ago the OH bought some really good goretex trousers in TK Maxx at Cribbs Causeway. It was early September so don't leave it too long before you start looking.

Good point, sooner rather than later for the best bits
latest report
cad99uk wrote:

Agreed, some decent kit ends up in TackyMax sometimes - Missus picked up a good Westbeach jacket there last year for under £50. Note though, as TK buy up the unsold stock from other outlets, sizings like Medium and Large tend to be in short supply compared to XXL or XS, for example.
snow conditions
Thanks for the replies. I'll make a turn around the stores soon and see if they have anything. I don't mind used stuff to start off with as well. As long as it's not torn to pieces or has brown stripes on the inside NehNeh
I will go with the cheapest option that looks good (as clarky999 said), specially since I don't know which way I want to head and don't know what will be comfortable and what will annoy me.
latest report
Quote:

don't know what will be comfortable and what will annoy me.

good point. When I have bought jackets I've often find I try on quite a few - ostensibly the same size - and only find one that feels really comfortable. Same applies to trousers, really - I find some are made for people with tiny waists and big fat backsides - so the ones that do up at the waist are elephantine further down.

don't forget you can always add layers (TK Maxx sometimes have some good cheap underlayers too) so you don't need anything too hot - which could be too much on a warm spring day (the kind of day we had most of the season last year....).

The outlet shops are well worth a look; buying this season's new models at full price in Snow and Rock is fine if money is no object, but the price of some of those jackets would buy you a week's holiday. Shocked

Now, have we discussed boots..... wink They ARE worth spending a bit of money on, to get them right.
snow conditions
lol.... boots are next years expense. I don't want to get divorced just yet.
ski holidays
I just rented a pair for my first trip, from a mostly skate shop somewhere in the StapleHill/Downend area. But that was mainly because (a) my first ever ski trip was rather last minute, and (b) most of the main stores weren't there at that point (Snow+Rock, half of Cribbs Causeway, etc. didn't really open until just afterwards.). So there was only Ellis Brigham, Oswald Bailey, Blacks (which is cack), and the best one that has closed down whose name I forget.

Marcruss in Hotwells might be worth a visit.
snow conditions
Oh, and most ski and board stuff is equally suitable for either sport, main difference is marketing/what it's labelled as... But as a (big) generalisation I find most snowboard stuff to be worse quality at the expense of following the park-rat gangster fashions, whilst the good looking/quality ski stuff often tends to just be more expensive versions of very similar climbing kit.
ski holidays
I phoned TKMaxx and they said they have started getting some stuff in. So I'll probably head round there and see what they got soon.
Are there any places that are known for selling decent used stuff? I ask as I would prefer to buy a good set of "material that keeps my legs warm" that has a mark or 2, rather than spend the same amount on something new but of bad quality.
latest report
AlanB1976, If you are talking baselayers then my recommendation is Icebreaker merino. Lots of offers on the web.
snow report
cad99uk, I am talking outer layers, but don't want to use the word "pants" NehNeh
I have some cheaper baselayers. I just don't have a clue how cold I will get and so don't actually know what to take. Last time I was skiing, I only had a short sleeved shirt, gloves and waterproof pants. But that was in Lesotho (Africa) and the day still got quite warm which was amplified by the exercise being done. Now I'm going to be in the Alps in Jan, so will have to brace for much colder weather. What is the norm... a pair of thermals for under and the weatherproofs for outer? In Kiruna (Sweden - Arctic Circle) I only used a pair of thermals and my jeans and still got warm when doing anything energetic (wasn't skiing though).
ski holidays
Another question..... is the quality of TKMaxx type gear ok? Since I'm still generally a beginner to skiing, and spend a lot of time face first in the snow, I don't want to get wet and miserable on the slopes. I want something that will keep me dry.
latest report
AlanB1976 wrote:
cad99uk, I am talking outer layers, but don't want to use the word "pants" NehNeh
I have some cheaper baselayers. I just don't have a clue how cold I will get and so don't actually know what to take. Last time I was skiing, I only had a short sleeved shirt, gloves and waterproof pants. But that was in Lesotho (Africa) and the day still got quite warm which was amplified by the exercise being done. Now I'm going to be in the Alps in Jan, so will have to brace for much colder weather. What is the norm... a pair of thermals for under and the weatherproofs for outer? In Kiruna (Sweden - Arctic Circle) I only used a pair of thermals and my jeans and still got warm when doing anything energetic (wasn't skiing though).

Lol you can still say salopettes!

It's not usually that cold, 95% of the time I'm fine with just my (relatively thin) salopettes, although if it's particularly cold (like a storm in January) a pair of thermals underneath is a good idea - you can usually find the Helly Hansen ones pretty cheap, or just wear some normal joggers...

The thing about TK Maxx is, they buy loads of stock that didn't sell the previous season, so you can often find pretty good kit from decent brands, but heavily discounted - although maybe in weird sizes/fits/colours that other people didn't want. Ideal for starting out though, until you get more of an idea of what you actually want/need there's no point dropping too much money.
snow report
My TK Maxx Jacket has done absolutely fine, including wet cold days in the UK, but had to return my trousers as they split on day 1... Got a replacement pair of La Fuma trousies in resort for rather more than I had wanted to spend... Generally I have found that waterproofness is more challenging in the UK than in the Alps (unless you fall into a slush pile), which is hopefully unlikely in January.

I can't stand the feel of braces (mostly removable if the trousers aren't full sallopettes), so accept the risk of snow where it doesn't belong. The big advantage of ski/board specific clothing over layering common or garden breathable waterproofs is the snow skirt - make sure it does up nice and tight.
snow conditions
Just got a pair of norrona lofoten trousers from Ellis brigham in braehead

They had a wee Mark if you got out a magnifying glass

Very happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Forgot to say that they were 100quid Very Happy
ski holidays
I went past my TKMaxx today and they didn't have any ski wear... Even after I called and they said they had some.... Grrrrrr
snow report
AlanB1976, all bodies are different, but if you've been warm enough in Kiruna, you'll be warm enough in the Alps - I managed to survive camping there in late November with just a few special gloves, but otherwise bog-standard alpine ski gear plus vast quantities of alcohol (something that instinctively you feel ought to be a bad idea, but what the hell).

Thermals are rarely required these days if you have modern clothing and as you surmise, the heat from the exercise also renders them redundant. Like others have said, the fact that salopettes keep snow from inappropriate places is their big plus.
snow report
AlanB1976, there was some in the TKMaxx in the central shopping centre today. Upstairs in the "Active Wear" section.
snow report
Mine didn't. I looked in the Active Wear and the only trousers they had were for their sail range.

Arctic Roll, thanks, I am going to aim purely for weatherproofs (with the least amount of insulation). Then I can always layer as needed. Problem is that the only place I found weatherproofs so far is in Snow and Rock and the cost of about £150 made me choke a bit. Waaaay too expensive for me at the moment. I hope I can find something better. I am aiming at a weatherproof rating of about 5000mm and over. I see most of the cheaper stuff is only 3000mm but I would like to be able to sit down on the snow and not worry about getting a wet back.
snow report
quick question..... would plain waterproof clothing do? As in, if I used waterproofs aimed at cycling (purely just a layer of waterproof material) and then layered underneath for warmth, do you think that would greatly hinder things?
snow report
My mate did his first snowboarding holdiay in denim jeans. He got wet, but enjoyed himself.

Another pal of mine always goes in waterproof golfing trousers, and has done so for about 15 years.
ski holidays
I had a friend who always wore cord trousers - the wide cord, because he was too tight to buy any proper trousers. It was his daughter's refusal to ski with him, in the end, which persuaded him to abandon them. We did a few ski holidays with them - the first time, when we knew they'd skied quite a lot, they turned up with ginormous skis and we were quite intimidated until we found that he'd bought them in a car boot sale - along with his wife's boots. They weren't very good skiers - had not had lessons after their first year - and the skis were far too long. I persuaded her to rent a sensible pair and after her boots cracked up and I had to lash them up at a lunch stop, she hired some boots too. He persevered, with his ten foot skis and cord trousers, and very silly he looked too. On the other hand, an expert skier with cords and a pair of suitable skis would look pretty cool.

AlanB - TKMaxx will get some in, just keep looking, and also go to the outlet stores.
snow report
Regular waterproof kecks are fine - you can wear Ron Hills or something similar under them (as long as you don't tuck em into your boots). However places like Dare2Be still have online sales on and you can pick up decent pants for peanuts.
snow report
Quote:

My mate did his first snowboarding holdiay in denim jeans. He got wet, but enjoyed himself.

Guy I skied with once in Les Gets also wore jeans. He also fell off the Chavannes chair just as it rolled down to pick up the cable. Went splat! right in that huge mound of snow created by the lifties keeping the way clear. He must have been freezing the day we skied thigh-deep powder on Les Melezes piste.

Used to use just a Goretex pullover shell and a chunky fleece underneath. Worked fine, but not so pleasant when -23C and windy on the lifts. Pullover seemed like a good idea at the time (no zip cold spot), but was a PITA getting on/off in crowded restaurants. Not tried waterproof trousers and thermals. Proper ski ones make more sense since the leg ends are designed to fit ski boots and prolly less likey to come adrift at the waist, oh and prolly no more expensive anyway.
snow report
they got the sale.... just none that are my size NehNeh I'm a L
Do you know any other places that are still having sales?
snow conditions
AlanB1976,
Quote:

I am aiming at a weatherproof rating of about 5000mm and over. I see most of the cheaper stuff is only 3000mm but I would like to be able to sit down on the snow and not worry about getting a wet back.

plus your other comment
Quote:

Since I'm still generally a beginner to skiing, and spend a lot of time face first in the snow, I don't want to get wet and miserable on the slopes. I want something that will keep me dry.

You have answered your own question I think, however to be fair waterproof rating of 5000m is only just about OK, if its snowing you will get wet in 5000m rated pants. I would look at 10,000 as a min esp for a beginner as you will spend more time "in" the snow. As an example my own pants are 25,000 rated and I have never got wet even when its been raining Puzzled
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy