Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm just circling buying an airbag...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm attracted to the Snowpulse bag because of the neck protection, but also like the idea of the ABS Vario system - so that I can ski with a small pack, but still have the option of a larger pack in the future.

Do any airbag owners have any thoughts / experiences having owned a bag?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have an ABS Vario with around 30 and 50 litre interchangable rucksacks. To be honest if you are doing hut to hut and need 50 litres then the ABS system is too heavy. The snow pulse gives added head/neck protection but also obscures vision, vision that you might need to get out of the avalanche to safety. As I understand it the snowpulse is also only one airbag not two so all or nothing if it gets punctured.

There's also the BCA offerings
http://www.backcountryaccess.com/index.php?id=74

http://www.backcountryaccess.com/index.php?id=233
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went with Snowpulse because I thought the pack itself was better.
I didn't feel that there was much differentiation between the systems themselves ultimately - as DB says there are pros and cons to both and weighing them is a personal thing. Having said that. the fact that refilling Snowpulse cylinders is relatively simple was a plus point for me
I also agree on hut to hut touring. My Snowpulse pack is noticeably heavy versus normal packs but pretty much par for the course for airbag packs. I did see something about ABS making a lightweight carbon ABS though
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hi there for my pennies worth, I have an ABS (not the new current model) Escape 15L and a good ski buddy has a Snowpulse (SP). I agree there seems to be a bit more thought in the design and function of SP, although my buddy had to send his back due to an issue with pull handle. The SP seems to be a snug fit to your back but is heavier. My ABS has been detonated 3 times (at the end of each season I hasten to add) and I get a refilled cannister FOC from Snowsafe, and I he did have some none current models (like mine) for sale for a billy bargain. SP seem to be more expensive and cost more to refill. My buddy has detonated his a month or so ago and the bags blew up quicker than mine, and appeared to be quite big so agree they may invade on vision but alledgely offer measures to prevent neck trauma. But ABS have been around for a while and have a proven track record, thats not to say SP are any better or any worse.

At the end of the day the rucksack is there to save your life, so its cost v preference v . . . .

As always there are pros and cons, and no doubt the more people you ask the more muddier the water becomes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Might be useful:

http://www.wildsnow.com/category/airbag-backpacks-skiing/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought a SnowPulse. Mainly because I got a decent price from Snowshepherd but I also liked the airbag-around head design as that seemed sensible. The fact that the SnowPulse does not carry an explosive trigger might make it marginally easier to persuade a reluctant airline check-in agent, so that appealed to me as well (and a few months later I did find myself persuading a reluctant check-in agent in Japan and was pleased I didn't have to mention "explosives").
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FlyingStantoni, I am getting one for the coming season. I just do too much off piste now and have had one partial burial (ok... only my legs) but I also ski on my own a fair bit so really think that it is worth the money.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just as an update on the Snowpulse, this seasons bags are a little lighter as they have redesigned the cylinder and venturi system. Also much easier to fit, and have a proper handle rather than a loop to activate the airbags.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
livetoski, can that system be retrofited to old SnowPulse bags?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, Interesting question, if I understand it correctly. The new cylinder will not fit on the bags from last season, and the old cylinders don't fit the new bags.

However the question is I guess as you have asked, would it be possible to get a whole new activation system and fit to last seasons bag?

I don't know is the honest answer but I will find out. Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm in the market for a bag this coming season too. So far my preference is ABS based on vario system, track record, slightly lighter and it seems to be the only bag available locally. I need to compare prices between here in Austria and the UK as last time I looked UK was cheaper, though I'd rather buy local and in terms of which bag price is not driving force at the end of the day. Like any safety device I do worry if having a bag will change my behaviour and push me to ski where I wouldn't otherwise.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I also have this debate with SWMBO every year, anyone happen to have the weights of SP, ABS and BCA to hand??
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As a comparision
Snowpulse 15L = 2300g + 500g cylinder
ABS Vario 15L = 2400g + 480g cylinder steel, 280g carbon
BCA Float 18 Pack with no airbags etc 1.34, total weight with cylinder etc 2940g

weight wise there is not a great deal in it, the aspect we always look at is the construction against the weight
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, OK quick answer as always, the joy of having a UK importer for Snowpulse.

A retro fit is not something that has been planned as it will be quite expensive to do, Snowpulse have commited to continue having avilable the cylinders and the refilling service for all airbags.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy