Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Ski Amade Snow Report: 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
Crusty the clown has come to town! Where yesterday there was powder today crust.I think combination of strong overnighte winds and clearing skies and subsequent freeze. Though Piste in great condition. More snow and cooler temps forecast.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
waynos,
I went up the ladder for a look once,minus skis, and scared myself witless,took me 30 mins to come down steady !
It doesn't look much until you are near the top and have to clamber towards the door..............!
I watched 3 Austrians 'run' up it last week with skis on backpacks and ski poles in one hand !!
I will do it with a guide one of these days !ha ha !
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good spring conditions here in Gastein. Taking the lift up yesterday afternoon to Stubnerkogel was interesting. Below 1500m (?) it was hiking conditions. Above 1500m, white everywhere with heavy snow on the trees still. You can see its been a good winter. At the top complete whiteout and got hammered by the wind and snow. So skiing from top to bottom involved about 400m of getting blasted, next 400 mtrs you blast the piste (which has a nice thin layer of fresh snow), then last last 400m try to work your way through the slush.

This morning at Sportgastein, quality spring conditions with very few people. Cloudless by about 10am. Pretty much untracked (and surprisingly not too crusty as per Waynos comment) with plenty of people heading north over the edge down towards Heilstollen. Avi risk 2 (out of 5) and a new board showing where not to go on that run which I was surprised to see. By 1pm you'd want to be above middle station though. Raining now at valley level which i guess means snow up at the top Puzzled

EUR 4.80 for a 500ml Coke at the restaurant at the bottom .... when a 500ml beer is EUR 3.70 how can that be ? Serves me right for ordering a soft drink.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
waking up to snow here ! reasonably heavy as well. i reckon about 10cm has collected now on the deckchair i had out yesterday to catch some rays.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Speedster, i'm jealous! Have fun ... and a few JD's in Haegbloms for me!

Kersh
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Was raining lower down on Saturday but was forecast for a decent temp drop which sure enough did arrive by Sunday morning. A clear morning and felt like winter was in the air, the trees higher up were snow covered. Headed to Flachau / Wagrain on Sunday, first time this season. Some surprisingly nice dry powder higher up, 10-15cms. Further down the piste had dust on crust turning wetter during the day. All in all not a bad day, not epic powder but certainly some nice stuff about.

Monday headed to the most easterly ski area with the Ski Amade area, Stoderzinken, above Grobming. A fantastic drive up the mountain road, covered in small rocks falling off the sides and amazing views looking back westward towards Haus and Schladming. Stoderzinken is a small family friendly area perched just east of the Dachstein peaks. Has only a handful of drag lifts. starting at around 1700 and peaking at 2045m. Another cold morning with blue skies. Still stacks of snow up this high, 2 - 2.5m. As we started skiing I was immediately drawn off piste into some rather nice powder! My first trip here in winter so don't know the off piste but was some very obvious areas which of course I explored. The best being off the summit lift and down the steep north face. Took my son and his mate off piste for a little play in the woods. Both coped very well, the snow did transform later in the day as the temps shot up. I think there were no more than 30 skiers on the mountain, fantastic.

Here's some video from today.

http://youtube.com/v/sj3NSUQYCyY
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
waynos, I'll PM you before I do my Ski Amade trip next year - you know where to find the goods! TR from last weekend in the TR section, but I think you found better lift-served snow ...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The last few days have been pretty miserable weather wise, warm, damp and skiing in cloud with visibility at times down to 20m. Snow also not freezing overnight so not the best conditions. BUT as of early afternoon today it started snowing from around 1200m. Was at Zauchansee and snowing nice and hard and settling from base area upwards. Still raining here lower down and forecast for the snowline to drop to the valleys, hopefully a reasonable amount of fresh snow overnight. I've taken a rain check on a planned ski tour this evening, the final full moon tour at Fageralm, was in 2 minds whether to go but I'd rather keep my legs ready for tomorrow, just in case it's powdery. Still plenty of piste skiing, a couple of lower runs are now closed but all the areas I ski still have runs open to the valley. The smaller ski areas will close on Monday, followed by many more the following week and the a few like Zauchansee and Planai staying open til 22 April.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowing down in the Ennstal now. I've just driven back to Altenmarkt from Flachau and it was snowing lightly with the temperature already down to 0 degrees.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
waynos, You big wimp out Laughing

Thought the tour was a great moonlit party night (ok... not much moon to be seen amongst the clouds).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue, Sue, so he has missed skiing back down in the freshest of fresh Shocked wink Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
waynos, Just be carefull with that new snow on top of old, I made a stupid mistake in the trees looking for decent lines rolling eyes Not round your neck of the woods though hehehe

http://youtube.com/v/c2RfZkTsRG0
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa, wow, that did look pretty steep, did you need to side step out?

Anyhow, I think made the right choice regarding last night, woke up this morning to the expected snow down to the valley, so going to be good higher up. Powder rules over tours.

A pic from this morning of the once green valley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waynos,
Quote:

I've taken a rain check on a planned ski tour this evening, the final full moon tour at Fageralm, was in 2 minds whether to go but I'd rather keep my legs ready for tomorrow

You missed a cracker, snowed all night, perfect touring condis, great music in the hut AND we won some stuff in the tombola, thankfully nothing too awkward to ski down with! Got in a 1am, now off to play in the pow at Zauch. You men just can´t keep up wink Laughing Give me a bell if you are up there, got LB in tow, he is allowed to ski for 2 hours Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
waynos,
Quote:

Powder rules over tours.

You are allowed to do both, y`know Twisted Evil
snow conditions
kooky, not on my legs! Will be at zauch this morning, give u a shout when there
ski holidays
I'm hoping to head up once Ange is back from dropping Graeme off at th eairport.... won't be till 11 or 12... so save some for me!!
ski holidays
Must... stop... reading... this... thread.... Crying or Very sad

Yours sincerely,

Homesick for Austria.
latest report
Schuss in Boots, I see it's the gals putting the lads to shame... boys, you are letting the side down rolling eyes
snow report
waynos, Yesh, had to kick turn and step up until I could rejoin the ridge through a couple of small trees. I was just about to bomb down the slope when I saw the first slide out of the corner of my eye and hit the brakes. That was the only patch of unstable snow I saw all week, just shows how localised conditions can catch you out if you stop evaluating. The lack of trees to anchor the snow and the increase in steepness should have flagged a danger signal.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 8-04-12 23:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Schuss in Boots, me too.
snow report
A super powder session at Zauchansee with Flangesax, Kooky and others. Around 15cms of fresh dry powder on a frozen base. Early morning the visibility was dreadful as still snowing and foggy. Vis improved during the morning. After a lunch stop it started snowing again - quite hard, I reckon 5cm in an hour. So the afternoon session was even better, no one around, must all be eating easter eggs. Was still pumping it down when we left. Hopefully get a first lift up tomorrow. Loads of video to go through but no time today. Exactly 6 months to the day me and Flangesax did the first turns for 2011/2012 at Zauchansee, back in October we had to tour up.
ski holidays
Back after a great week in Flachau and the environs (whatever that is in German). Sorry to miss the freshies but the bluebird days were excellent. Big thanks to Samerberg Sue and kooky for the excellent guiding/chauffeuring/babysitting. Matthew is saving up for next year already! Sorry we didn't manage to hook up with the flangesax family - next time!
ski holidays
waynos, Madeye-Smiley thanks for finding some of THE best powder lines I had all season, flippin awesome!!!!!!!! Same thing tommoz?? I will be on 1st uplift, Gams lift, see you there !!!

holidayloverxx, was my pleasure, those few day blasting about with Matthew were magic Very Happy
snow report
I want powder too Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Scarpa, I hope it's the powder that we are having that you want ! wink
the sun is shining Very Happy , - 8 *C , gallons of suncream and we are ready,

after yesterday's miles of slopes that Sue made me ski I though i would wake up wishing to be dead, but no, I feel fine,
cheers Sue, many thanks xx

good day to you all Very Happy
snow conditions
Snowdrop, Have a great day!
snow report
Snowdrop, we only did just over 22kms yesterday, so you should not have been aching! wink Plus the snow was in perfect condition as were the pistes. Flachau was the emptiest I've seen it for years! Laughing I'll call tomorrow night to set up Wednesday/Thursday and Friday with you. I hope the lessons went well today for you and the boys!

holidayloverxx, as usual it was great fun skiing with you and working with Matthew and Heather was a bonus for me. I'm really looking forward to skiing with them both next year as well. Let me know when you are coming out again and I'll try and have a case of the St Laurent for you. I take it you will be coming out by car at some point this summer. Looking forward to teaching you both to sail as well! wink Chiemsee was looking inviting as I drove home this afternoon, if you like sunshine, strong winds and cold grey water!

Up on the first lifts in Zauchensee today - -10C at the top of the Schwarzwandbahn and masses of new snow. Most people were heading off piste so we were spoilt for choice in terms of which piste we skied. The conditions off-piste were deceptive though as one very fine skier (he was actually really good) demonstrated - lovely soft powder hiding holes and crusty frozen slush traps. He misjudged a couple of his turns having broken through the crusty bits, then found a better line and skied off perfectly. In the same situation I know I would have buried my head in the snow several times a minute these days. You need good knees for off-piste and mine have long since given up the ghost! Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, Yes we will come by car I think, but still hoping for a cheeky long weekend before then - I've got a parquet floor to polish up!
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, holidayloverxx,
epic day Smile , 100% weather and snow ! I had a good lesson which ended with the instructor saying " that's what i call skiing ", you understad, ladies of certain age have to pay young instructors to hang out with them wink
the kids had a great time in a small group: skiing off piste , through forest, Ollie missed a slope and fell in a ditch making everyone laugh, by the time I caught up with them they were " dancing" on the slope, literally, they were skiing in pairs, holding hands and going round in circles, Laughing , they came back smiling and knackered,
cooked a roast chicken and I am stretched out on the sofa listening to the music and reading a book, magic Toofy Grin

might put the shoes on an go for a walk in the village
xx
ski holidays
Snowdrop, Sounds fab. I knew the snow would be there for you. snowHead
latest report
holidayloverxx,
conversation with my 12 y old " how are your brand new skis ? do you find them better than the old rusty ones? do the edges hold better when you do turns ?"
"wot turns ? Confused I just go straight ! " Shocked

finally- breaking the ice with German language : Das leben ist gut, skifahren is super toll. Es lebe Osterreich ! Blush
latest report
Snowdrop, You are doing better than me although I have learned lots of words about cleaning, bed linen and hot water systems Laughing

...and Es lebe Osterreich indeed!
snow conditions
Snowdrop, how about 'Achtung Spitfire!'? That might come in handy. wink
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, Snowdrop, I prefer "ich liebe Österreich!" snowHead More snow on Wednesday and later on this week/weekend. Toofy Grin
latest report
Pedantica, which part of my life would that relate to ? Embarassed
snow report
Snowdrop, see you tomorrow Madeye-Smiley xx I will try not to gawp and drool at your blond haired ski instructor wink
snow report
Snowdrop, when the ski instructor gets a bit too frisky, perhaps? Toofy Grin
snow report
Pedantica, it would be the other way round wink Embarassed

kooky, he is yours for taking wink
( my lips are sealed)
ski holidays
There's a joke there somewhere Little Angel

Have fun Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy