Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Ski Amade Snow Report: 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
Spent today skiing on the Aberg above Maria Alm.
Snow conditions and visiblity excellent above the mid-station. Not worth bothering with runs down to the bottom unless you enjoy heavy slush. Had a great day by following my own advice!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Today we skied between Muhlbach and Dienten (at the opposite end of the Hochkonig to Maria Alm) having met up with Samerberg Sue in the car park. Still lots of excellent snow higher up with a very definite "slush level" about 2/3 of the way down most of the slopes. Sunny and very clear.
Tonight we are going night skiing on the local hill (and Mrs Paellahead is going to try out some new Volkl Luna skis - she has never much liked the Scott Maya skis that I bought her to replace the Volkl Attivas that I wrecked):
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can someone tell me which slopes/runs are north facing in around Flachau please?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx, I think most of them are facing a northerly direction (i.e not all are facing true North)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx, I was up on Wagrain today, fret not!! The snow was perfect, I even managed to ski 93kms in the "slush" in plus 12 degrees...it is totally skiable all day Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kooky, thanks, I just want to give MrHL some pointers for next week. You didn't manage your 100k yet then?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue, I guess he could just use his eyes too
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx, nope, there were too many queues at the lifts!! I was with Ange and we just could not believe how many people were there, I didn´t bother skiing fast after lunch it was just too dangerous, bodies everywhere Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kooky, you're poo-poo and you know you are... you're poo-poo and you know you are... etc... etc...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
flangesax, I didn´t see you up there wading through the slush, and elbowing the tourists out the way, wern´t you going to have a crack at it with me too? NehNeh
Just looking at the webcams now, plus 16 on Flachau Shocked gonna get the cozzie on and go for a ski tour up to LisaAlm if anyone wants to join?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skied From the Aberg today with Samerberg Sue and then from Hintermoos with esprit and his friend Donald. Conditions similar to yesterday, definitely not worse other than bare patches appearing very low down (where we weren't skiing!). The two runs down to Hinterthal were a particular highlight with good snow right down to the bottom at about mid-day. Later on, the higher runs on the Aberg were still excellent at about 3pm (when we had had enough). esprit skied down to the bottom with Donald (we down-loaded) and said it was pretty horrible.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kooky, you will love the touring in the Hochkönig area, masses to do and pretty empty too.

Freddie Paellahead, I have thoroughly enjoyed my 2 days skiing with you and the others and thank you for giving me a reason to reacquaint myself with this gem of an area. If you do not drop in to watch the rugby tomorrow afternoon, have a good trip home and I'll see you all next season, if not before! snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
oh well, it will be mountain bikes if the snow melts Confused
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowdrop wrote:
oh well, it will be mountain bikes if the snow melts Confused

When's that happening then? Quite happily skiing top to bottom without the need for mtb at the moment.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
waynos, 7/04, the temp is very high at the moment Sad ,
I am still optimistic though Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Snowdrop, you will love it and there are enough of us around to help you discover the best of this area! Don't worry yet! I've been skiing in this area in April since the late 1980s never had to get on my mountain bike or pull on the walking boots instead of the ski boots yet! snowHead
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, thank you for the encouragement Very Happy
latest report
Samerberg Sue, As someone who's been a regular visitor to the Ski Amade for the last 7 years (I run a school trip every Feb half-term and we stay in Altenmarkt), I've actually bitten the bullet for the first time ever and decided to take up the offer of an Inspection visit from 1st April to 8th April. We are going to be based in Kitzbuhel for the week but we are basically free to ski where we choose. I know the Kitz area quite well,including the Horn, but have a horrible feeling there'll be no snow left at all there looking at the current web-cams and the predicted temperatures. I'll have my wife with me, who is not the most confident of skiers, but has spent 2 weeks on the slopes of Altenmarkt/Zauchensee, Flachau/Flachauwinkel, Forstau/Reiteralm back in Easter 2008 and 2009. I know the Amade is approx 90 minutes drive away but do you think it might be worth me considering hiring a car for 2/3 days and making the most of an area we know and love or shall we just hope for the best that there's gonna be a dramatic change in the weather sometime soon ?
snow report
Did a morning session at Dachstein glacier, just piste skiing, Was quite chilly at -3 and a breeze and skiing on hard running piste was a shock. Was only a short session to show some friends the views - which as usual were knock out. Plenty of people climbing the ladder to the Edelgreiss, not sure how good the snow would have been. In the afternoon drove down the road to Filzmoos, I've never skied here before. A pleasant few hours skiing soft spring slush, was very quiet and hence the piste were not bumped up. Quite a nice little ski area though the lifts are pretty slow. Piles of snow, piste in great shape.

Snow at the Dachstein car park (1800m)
snow report
Just read that an inflatable Milka Cow was stolen in Schladming last night, shouldn't be that herd to find. Through out the week crime was less than normal in town despite 50,000 fans for the World Cup.
http://www.kleinezeitung.at/sport/schi/schladming2013/2974308/weltcup-finale-50-000-zuschauer-schladming.story

And this article talks about the forecast 400,000 to 450,000 expected for the World Champs next year, that will be the total for the 2 weeks.
http://www.kleinezeitung.at/sport/schi/schladming2013/2974479/hirscher-schladming-rock-and-roll.story
ski holidays
burkeyblue, it might be worthwhile but do it when you are there so you know what things are like. I suspect you will be able to ski the Pass Thurn and the higher slopes without any problems but probably will have to download into Kitz or Kirchberg.

It would be easier to ski Kaprun as you more or less have to go past it on your way to Ski Amadé and the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier has some nice easy and flattering slopes that are great for boosting peoples confidence. About an hour from Kitz I suppose.
ski holidays
burkeyblue wrote:
... I know the Kitz area quite well,including the Horn, but have a horrible feeling there'll be no snow left at all there ...

burkeyblue, your fears are unfounded. I too suspect that skiing on the Kitzbüheler Horn will not be great around that time, if the weather stays hot. However, it should still be possible to ski well on the Hahnenkamm side. If you take the Fleckalmbahn A4 up from Kirchberg (Klausen), there are runs up the top that shouldn't be too dificult. E.g. piste 18 and the Sonnenrast lift C4 - rather short but easy. Somewhat longer, you can turn right towards the bottom of 18 and join piste 16 to the Ochsalm lift E2. There is also the slightly steeper direct way down from the Ehrenbachhöhe to the Ochsalm on piste 26. If the Maierl gondola E1 is still running and the lower sections of pistes 16/26 are open (I'm not sure whether they will be), all the better; then you have a long run, though probably with soft snow, especially later in the day. Another run that might be possible, though slightly more challenging, is the run down from the Ehrenbachhöhe via pistes 36 + 37 to the Ehrenbachgraben (back up with the Ehrenbachhöhe chairlift C2).

Personally I wouldn't see much point driving all the way to Ski Amadé.

P.S. As Samerberg Sue says, the Pass Thurn area would also be possible, with relatively easy slopes from the Resterhöhe G1 to the Harkaser lift G7
latest report
espri, and Samerberg Sue, thanks for the reassurances guys. Never actually done Pass Thurn slopes so that might be interesting. Have used the Fleckalmbahn before (7 or 8 years ago) and seem to remember some quite lengthy blues down to Skirast that should siut the missus fine as long as its not treacle.
latest report
Found some very nice north facing snow a few days back at Hauser Kaibling, from the summit. A good steep slope that holds the snow well, steeper enough for the sluff to chase you down the slope. Following video of that run, action gets going from around 1 minute in and a good fall at 2:20

http://youtube.com/v/iIlbj1jGQGM

More video to edit for last couple of days but quick update for now. Monday was rain, snow and fog but still managed an action packed day with skiing, rodel and a night time ski tour with a dark ski down as no one had a head torch, doh, but lots of fun. Tuesday cleared up and found some nice fresh snow higher up, maybe 10cms in places so not a powder day but nice spring snow off piste to be had. Get some video posted later. Piste all holding up well, freezing overnight so typical spring conditions, it's not knee deep powder but still beats being in the office.
latest report
Video from yesterday skiing around Haus and Planai mountains of Schladming

http://youtube.com/v/Q8PIdTNtk7w
ski holidays
Went for a ski tour this morning up a peak above Schladming called the Krahbergzinken. Was quite emotional going up as slipped a couple of times on the frozen spring snow, I didn't enjoy slipping down and getting back up with heels out. Anyway got to the top with flangesax just under an hour. Then walked the final vertigo inducing ridge line to the summit cross. As always amazing views down towards the piste and the Unteral valley and Enns valley. We then decided to bag the very top colouir. Not done this before as it's not obvious from the top how on earth you get out but have checked the line from another ski tour lower down. There was one set of tracks already down it, the avi risk was very low today, especially north facing as this line was, though the huge cornices did add a certain edge. I descended somewhat safely, making sure the snow was as good as it looked and making sure the line was good. The snow was wonderful, a top layer of powdery dry snow, sluffing down with us. The other tracks peeled off back towards the lifts quite soon but we pushed on down the falline towards another off piste area we know. As we hit the tree line the snow went very spring like again. Around a 900m vertical drop back to the lift, amazing snow at the top, 2100m, considering how warm it's been. Would be an awesome line in fresh powder though the top section would be a little cheeky in too much fresh snow.

Some gopro footage of the run, the downhill action starts just after the first minute. The first section is us on the top ridge line, quite scary, for me at least.

http://youtube.com/v/HvFdwketUQY

The top section of the run viewed from the top

and the view down the other side
snow report
Looks great and loving the led zep .....back out to schladming saturday...always have a great time!!
snow report
waynos wrote:
Just read that an inflatable Milka Cow was stolen in Schladming last night, shouldn't be that herd to find. Through out the week crime was less than normal in town despite 50,000 fans for the World Cup.
http://www.kleinezeitung.at/sport/schi/schladming2013/2974308/weltcup-finale-50-000-zuschauer-schladming.story

Seriously?? Laughing I was walking out of sub-press center after one of races, and just when you came out of garage, there was that Milka truck with that huge inflatable Milka cow on roof. I was joking to my colleague, that later on evening I'm coming to steal that cow. Obviously someone was really stupid enough to actually do this Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waynos, looking good! I'm out next week for some meadow skipping: Kleinarl Hutte, Sudwiener Hutte, maybe do the Dachstein crossing if the weather stays clear. Good to see there's decent snow to be had still (as there usually is, tbh, despite all the panicking I do before I get on the plane!)

I've just picked up my first set of piste skis for many years so I might even try to drive up to Obertauern one morning for a bit of a hoon around. Happy days.
snow report
waynos, great vid and 2 of my fave PG tracks. Wish I was fit enough to ski with you 2 (and good enough)
latest report
waynos, the hero run would surely have been to sneer at the ridge, ride over it and drop straight down from Krahbergzinken to Waldhäuslalm?
ski holidays
nozawaonsen, now that would be seriously steep and somewhat grassy at the moment, maybe you can arrange for some more snow?
latest report
Been enjoying a week of warm spring sunshine, typical conditions of hard packed piste in morning, soft and slushy during the day. Been very quiet on the skier front so piste not bumping up too much. Yesterday the weather started changing, a stiff breeze during the day but still sunny and warm. In the evening went for a ski tour up Hochwurzen, near Schladming. Set off around 19:00 under threatening skies, still feeling warm. Half an hour up and suddenly it was snowing! Wow a few hours ago we were sitting in the sun drinking. Mrs Flangesax was on here first ski tour and put in an top effort and was very happy when we got the the open hut. Was greeted inside the hut by some very drunk people and staff. Had a few drinks and skied down on the floodlit run, was snowing quite nicely until around 1200m then rain! Rained all through the night in town, looks like snowline stayed around 1200-1400m, just off out now to see how much fresh wet snow there is higher up.

snow conditions
Excellent smithers! 15 to 20 cms of heavy powder. Upload gopro later
ski holidays
Fingers crossed for cooler temps next week. I am skiing SuUnday - Friday with a 16 year old (male friend of my neice in ski school) - anyone around?
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, see you tomorrow - what time are you getting in? I'm now officially on holiday for 2 weeks. Bring on the new snow please, the more the better!
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, we'll be in the flat at 15:00, hopefully to meet the hausmeister and sort some things out, then we are up to the Achter to get lift tickets, kit and lesson vouchers, then hopefully a drink at the bar a t the bottom of the Achter. Austrian phone will be on from about 13:00.
ski holidays
GoPro video from this morning. Headed for the trees in the Mitterhaus area above Schladming for a couple of hours of great skiing. Been on and off heavy showers throughout the day, still a tad warm, rain in town but snow from mid station.

http://youtube.com/v/-OuE-6Y0dvE
ski holidays
Great video !! Bit better than my iphone !
I have just had 3 days there,did the 4 mountain tour on Sunday,with just under 50k !
Monday spent a glorious sunny,empty day on Dachstein Glacier,then went up to Fageralm on Tues as had not been up there before.Very nice and very peaceful.
Next year when I go, I want to do the Dachstein crossing and maybe Edelgries.
Happy days !!!! us skiers (and boarders ) are blessed,the others don't know what they're missing !!!
snow conditions
immer schuss, I'm still an Edelgries virgin, hope to pop that cherry soon, just that silly ladder puts me off. Sounds like you had a good time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy