Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"One for the Dryslopers!"

Poster: A snowHead
Just a quick heads up with developments on the south coast with "Proslope"

For the few that may not have heard a great deal about this stuff it’s basically an alternative to Dendix/snowflex etc.

Snowtrax in Dorset are currently undertaking a major reconstruction to their main slope replacing their Dendix with Proslope.

Early trials and opinions have been promising, the design basically consists of a duel height bristle system with a diamond pattern of long bristles and in-filled with shorter stiffer bristles, there are no large holes to trap fingers etc. it also has a thick under layer for softer landings!

Current systems would seem to have their strong points and weaknesses for different skier types, i.e. the carpet types are good for freestylers- dodgy landings generally being a "little less" painful but they aren’t particularly fast and may not have the grip for racer types, Dendix is generally great for racers but does command a little respect when things don’t go to plan!

Proslope attempt to combine the strengths of both current types, the idea behind the duel height matting is when you're skiing with minimal edge and pressure the ski's are floating on the longer softer bristles making skidded/steered turns easier but as you increase edge & pressure the ski edges sink lower and start to engage with the shorter stiffer bristles enabling carved turns.

The reconstruction and redesign at Christchurch should be complete within around 4 weeks or so and should make better use of the slopes length, I think there may be a few new surprises at the bottom for the freestyle types too!

If you get the chance...try it & judge for yourself!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gatecrasher,
I tried a short section of this stuff at Silksworth - it was okay. Its certainly brave of Snowtrax to redo the slope in it. I wonder about its longevity as its on what looks like a plastic base. It does look fairly easy to replace a section though. As you say it is soft and slippy and should be good for boarders.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b013ytch/?t=41m50s
aw, felt sorry for him Toofy Grin actually i think he will succeed with it in the long run
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gatecrasher, So how do you fit gates in then ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sunnbuel, thanks for the Den's link, I missed that one. I felt a little sorry for him to, however I would have thought that the evidence of Dendix Thumb is a pretty good indication that the older surface was prone to it, we are a 3 Dendix thumb household, plus back in the 80's i face planted on Dendix when jumping, not a pretty result, managed to catch the tips of my skis in the Dendix when doing a jump like this, whoops!

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
livetoski, photo shows nice headband but disappointing lack of legwarmers Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sunnbuel, Laughing Laughing it was a Carrera headband my pride and joy at the time
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sunnbuel,

I missed that episode also! It does have a really heavy plastic backing so I would guess this would easily outlast the bristles, they put in a 3 to 4 mtr strip just over a third of the slopes length to carry out trials on for around six months or so prior to making the decision and still looks as good as the latest section that’s just been laid, I would imagine safety was a key factor for going down this route, it is however noticeably quicker than the original dendix slope wet or dry plus the grip is not only more progressive but it's also very solid when needed! We got to try out the full top section prior to the bulldozers coming in!

ski,

The guys at the slope have designed their own base mountings which sit permanently under the bristle line so the poles just screw in when required; theoretically they can be fitted anywhere and everywhere! You can have a look on their Facebook page "Proslope"

livetoski,

Great pic!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gatecrasher, thanks, 2 metre skinny skis, summer 84/85 I think in Torquay of all places
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I saw that proslope failed over the local group to take over Rossendale.

Can't comment on the surface as I've not skied it....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gatecrasher, any idea how the cost compares to dendix and/or snowflex? don't expect you to quote figures on here , just a rough guide.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sunnbuel,

I really have no idea but I will say- the original dendix they have pulled up was in really good condition so I don't think they were looking for a cheap replacement for a tired slope etc. Everything about the place is constantly evolving and paving the way with this surface is I guess part of that, they also wanted to increase the usable length by removing the counter slope at the bottom.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gatecrasher, interesting - any idea what have they done with the original dendix? Keep us all posted on when the facility will reopen, there are a number of us would make the long trip down to try the new surface.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sunnbuel, Not sure what's happening with the old stuff, but will keep you all updated on progress, where would you be coming from!
You can also get updates if you're on Facebook by "liking" their page "proslope" it has info & photos of progress etc.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gatecrasher, up north. Facebook.....urghhhh well that won't happen. Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
North of Newbury then! Fb yep gets in they way of everything in this house! snowHead
snow conditions
Does one have to have ones arms covered on this new stuff as on dendix, as not portrayed in the photo?
latest report
Cynic wrote:
Does one have to have ones arms covered on this new stuff as on dendix, as not portrayed in the photo?

Yes
ski holidays
gatecrasher, hi, any updates for us ?
ski holidays
sunnbuel, Still waiting! Sad Probably more like the end of October for completion I reckon from what I'm hearing, they are spending a lot of time re-profiling the slope, more so with the bottom area where the kickers etc. are planned. The downside of all this is I'm having to spend a lot more time @ Hemel! Shame! wink
snow conditions
popped in yesterday and the development is looking pretty good, guys recon it will be complete in early november now but quite a few permanent features to play on Very Happy
latest report
ta for the update. Any pics to share?
snow report
sunnbuel,

http://www.snowtrax.eu/blog/ski-matting/
ski holidays
Open!! fun stuff & jumps to follow! Very Happy
ski holidays
gatecrasher, glad to hear its open, will be interesting to hear how the new surface stands up to a seasons use. By the way i have looked at some pics from today and the slope doesn't look finished?
snow report
sunnbuel, not completely finished but ski-able, they needed to get it this way asap as have a ski show this week, just come back from trying it out, It's very quick so will be interesting to see the first few full runs with gates! Shocked
ski holidays
gatecrasher, i know its early days, but whats your opinion of the new surface v snowflex etc for a shallow gradient nursery slope?
snow report
Quote:

etc for a shallow gradient nursery slope?

sunnbuel, Well it's the quickest plastic surface I've been on, so I'd say it would be ideally suited to this, the difference apart from the speed aspect compared to snowflex is you have the grip like dendix but far easier to steer turns, it's also gives you the feeling that catching an edge would be harder to do, I think it will really help the little one's progress as well as the "not so little ones" There's a lot of chat here from people who "don't do plastic" thinking about giving it a try.

We had a brief pole session this morning, looking really good for this also! Very Happy
ski holidays
Videos needed!! Smile Please please please!

I used to love 10 minutes from this place (Bournemouth School used to do the sixth form PE skiing option there on I think wednesdays? Do you know if they still do?) but now living in Buckinghamshire so I'd be very tempted to pop back down and see a mate and have a few runs to try it out Happy

Congrats regardless ; great to see the centre progressing, I learnt so much from my lessons there ; a great team!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JaMMi, Not sure about the six form thing if your on Facebook go to Proslope and like, there's a couple of training session clips on there etc.
latest report
gatecrasher wrote:
JaMMi, Not sure about the six form thing if your on Facebook go to Proslope and like, there's a couple of training session clips on there etc.

Nice - thanks ; looks pretty good!
latest report
gatecrasher, why all the traffic cones ? but the surface looks to run okay

http://youtube.com/v/f7RwKEUEHFk
snow report
sunnbuel, the slope was reopened early to allow their ski show to go ahead, the dendix and underlay you see outside of the cones is shortly to be replaced with the new matting.
ski holidays
Ps, have you ever seen a boarder so relaxed as this on dendix!
latest report
gatecrasher wrote:
Ps, have you ever seen a boarder so relaxed as this on dendix!

yeh but they were very very drunk Toofy Grin
latest report
sunnbuel, Messy! Shocked
ski holidays
gatecrasher wrote:
sunnbuel, Messy! Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/proslope
ski holidays
Wow... just had a go on this stuff at snowtrax... by far the best dry slope surface I have ever tried. Feels quite like real snow, and has good speed and grip. Just a shame it's not a longer slope... hopefully they will install it on some more slopes soon!

Well recommend anyone to try it!
snow conditions
That looks amazing

Is the surface good to learn on?
ski holidays
gatecrasher, Any idea on the sorts of costs involved ? Interesting that they seem to overlay in on dendex ?

I'll pass the link over to our slope manager, who knows !!
snow conditions
AndAnotherThing.., before everyone gets carried away with the best thing since slice bread etc etc
Snowtraxx pulled up the dendix to lay the proslope down, it doesnt go ontop of dendix (correct me if i am wrong chris Toofy Grin )
olansley, is a one post advert - snowHead know to take that with a large pinch of salt
I remember when everyone got very excited about snowflex Laughing
I remember when everyone got very excited about snow domes Toofy Grin and chris has posted some very valid comments.

Actually I think proslope has the potential to be a useful surface, but, we don't know the costs, we don't know how it stands up to frequent use over several years. Thats a problem because for any dry slope resurfacing is a huge cost 50 or 100 K + and so its important to know how long the surface will last.

Every manufacturer will talk up their product. Some consumers believe everything they say wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy