Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva - Marmolada

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

We have booked to go to Selva for Christmas, in the past we have stayed in Arabba, Campitello and Pozza Di Fassa and managed to ski to the Marmolada glacier quite comfortably and are hoping to get there again at Christmas. Is it possible to to get there without feeling like we are rushing round all day? We are reasonably good skiers but we do like to stop for lunch and enjoy the magnificent scenery.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you've managed comfortably from Pozza (assuming you went via Alba and the bus to Canazei), I would have thought you could manage equally comfortably from Selva. Not much in it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sealey,

It is 40km Sella Ronda loop which takes most recreational skiers all day to get through. You now choose to stay at a position diametrically opposite to Arabba so it is the right place grab your lunch as it is the midway but you have to make sure catching the last lift. Marmolada is of course not part of the Sella Ronda so you go off to a side branch and have to rejoin back at the same point.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Firstly, Welcome to snowHeads sealey snowHead

On the snowHeads 7th Birthday Bash in Feb this year, various people circled the Sella Ronda twice in a day, once in each direction, with time to spare. They weren't exactly bombing it either AFAIK.

As 'reasonably good' skiers, Marmolada's comfortably doable from Selva with ample time for lunch.
Dolomiti Superski will show you the skiing you did if you enter your liftpass number into their website: I just looked at mine from the Birthday Bash.
On the first day, el Hen and I arrived in Selva and skied round to the Hotel in Arabba. She was a tad nervous, it being her first day of the season and carrying quite a large pack which she is unused to. Nevertheless we did Selva to Arabba in about 1hr 20mins. It's only 4 or 5 lifts (depending on where in Selva you start) so at a leisurely pace it's still barely going to be 90mins if you know your way - perhaps even with an espresso stop. Arabba to Marmolada, 45 maybe 60mins?
That's easily in time for a loop of the Marmolada before lunch, perhaps at the top of the Marmolada or at the Refugio Passo Fedaia at the bottom, leaving you with bags of time to get home.
The big question is though, once you rejoin the Sela Ronda above Arabba, which is the best route home? Green or Orange?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 27-08-11 18:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The only problam in doing the Marmolada from Selva is that by the time you reach the cable car there could be a 40 minute wait.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
saikee wrote:
sealey,

It is 40km Sella Ronda loop which takes most recreational skiers all day to get through.
With respect, I'd take issue with that statement.
Although it may be true that many people will dedicate a day to 'going round the Sella Ronda' in either direction, that in itself doesn't take many of them all day. Most people 'do the Sella Ronda' with diversions (whether deliberate or accidental) and still don't find themselves pushed for time to get home.
We've travelled in quite large groups, with the inherent delays that tends to entail, from Arabba as far as Ortisei and returned to Selva for lunch.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
admin,

Allow bottlenecks may take up extra time in busy time. The progress can get a lot slower if the weather is foggy. It is quite expensive to get a taxi back if one strands in the wrong valley.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
we took a group around the circuit and it was a very easy in a day with lots of stops.. we did the anticlockwise which wasnt great as it was a lot more chair riding than skiing...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the answers, if we make an early start and get through to Arabba as early as possible, as admin says its not too far then to Marmolada, just hope its not too busy at Christmas.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sealey, it really shouldn't be a problem. If you do find yourselves short of time on the way back, come back clockwise; it's downhill(ish) all the way from the Col Rodella area (above Campitello)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
this is my query too. we are staying in Selva and would like to ski MArmolada. We are ok intermediates but to be honest it took us a day (with a 10am start few stops, long lunch, coffees, admittedly) to ski the Sella Ronda circuit. How long does it take from Arabba to ski the marmolada then back to the Sella Ronda circuit point? (not to Selva). That way I can work it out whether we can do it if we get an early start and dont stop!! I know you can wait 40 mins for the cable car.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
suzieflowerpower, If the cable car wait is say 20 mins then allow 2.5 hrs to 3 hrs. This does not allow for a lunch stop and is in good conditions. Would also advise a 9am start from Selva and a late lunch on the way back to Arabba.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is a reasonably long ski to get to the Marmolada glacier if you're on holiday and taking in the scenery and allowing for the queueing etc. and taking photos at the top of the glacier etc. You do need to go early.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy