Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

new boarder

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I've just started boarding, have done about 15 hours so far at Tamworth, and am loving it.
Brought a beginer board and bindings from from decathalon that we're not very good.
So I uped the game and brought an awsome board an Omatic Boron board with forum bindings, (what a huge difference it made.)
Am looking to going to Andora at the end of January, have heard its ment to be ok for a beginer (any feedback would be nice Madeye-Smiley )
Hopfully we'll have some good snow over christmas so i can get some practice in.
So I'd just like to say hi.

Cheers

Aaron
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to sHs. Don't mind the tumbleweed in the snowboarding section. From what I've heard Andorra is a pretty good place as a novice boarder.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
aaron6370, Welcome. Glad you are liking your boarding. I'm hoping to get over to Tamworth on a board at some point. Not been for a while.

Check out Boardwise for kit too. I picked up my first board and boots there. The board was a an ex rental job.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to SHs Aaron. If you're getting your turns in ok one thing is for sure - any resort is going to blow you away after the Snowdome. The air, the mountains, the apres, the whole experience will all leave you gagging for more.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
aaron6370, good on'yer son.

Pas (de la Casa) may be a worth a look. Think it may tick a few boxes. wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Welcome to the darkside aaron6370, you'll never leave! Took my first lessons in Tam about 98 and oh i sucked so badly, you're ridings going to come on leaps and bounds once you've got a bigger area to play with - Tam's going to seem REALLY small when you come back from your first trip.

Andorra is a great area to cut your teeth on. As BCjohnny suggests, Pas is probably well worth a look, reckon it'll tick your boxes. And wherever you go, i'd recommend you get yourself a few half-day lessons booked, search or ask on the forums for advice or recommendations for classes when you've decided where you want to go.

Enjoy!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the reply's.

Am looking even more forward to andora.
my ass is still killing me from the learn to snowboard in a day at tam, remember i had a huge lump on each knee when i got home.
think i'll pop up to tam this weekend and get a few hours in.

Has anyone been to the cairngorms in scottland??

cheers

Az
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
aaron6370, stick with what you've got for a bit now (which you sound as you are) 'cause changing equipment constantly does not help you progress especially after 15 hours! You'll love the open mountain and it would be good to have an afternoon lesson on you first day after you'ved warmed up in the morning with your first ever laps of a piste. Look at him/her as a guide as I'm sure they'll take you to a good area with 2 or 3 pistes where you can practise good technique that you might have over looked. Then you'll rapidly improve through out the week...but don't come back to Tamworth thinking you can board it at mach 10 'cause you've done a weeks riding in the Pyrennees please! wink

Scotland is good fun but can be hard for a begginer so get your holiday out the way then think about it...but defo do it at somepoint!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice one.

I'll be sticking with this set up for quite a while, it's better than the first board i brough and it's better than the rented boards too.

I was quite shocked at how many different setup's and boards you can get and how different they all are.
But am loving it and can wait for snow and the holiday too.

It was funny when i was told about the confrontation between boarders and skiers.

cheers

Az
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
aaron6370 wrote:
Think i'll pop up to tam this weekend and get a few hours in.

You might want to tie up with this:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=78506
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
aaron6370, I went to Andorra in March this year. Lovely place - and the beer is really cheap! We had some excellent dumps of snow.

We stayed in Arinsal. There are three linked ski areas - Arinsal, Pal and Arcalis. There is a cable car between Arinsal and Pal but it is dependent on the weather. There is also a bus service from Arinsal, via Pal and then on to Arcalis. The cost is included in your lift pass.

There are some really nice long, wide, cruisy runs in Pal and Arcalis which as a beginner is excellent for honing your skills. Arcalis also has a freeride area which was pretty good - it was only open once when we were there because of the avalanche risk.

If you choose to stay in Arinsal itself, make sure you get a hotel at the top of the town - otherwise it can be an awful long walk UP hill to the lift station!

Enjoy Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah think me and my bro will be up there this saturday.

Got an e-mail from the dome about a holiday to Andora in arinsal 7 night 3* half board with 2 for 1 lift pass's.
sorted, me think's thats a plan.
Am now looking into waxing kit's (any sugestion's)

Cheers

Az
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm not sure you really need a "Waxing Kit", I use:

A cheap Tescos value iron for about £4 (doesn't matter if it's got holes or not)
Wax - Data wax all temperature
Data Wax wax remover (although you could hot wax/scrape before the coat fully sets I seem to remember wax and remover were about £15)
Perspex scraper (£5 from ebay)
Green scrubby pads from Tescos (£1)
Hard nail brush ( from back of cupboard)

I'm sure there are loads of 'how to' threads on this bit of the forum...........
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That fantastic

Thanks for that. my bro's brought a brush from tam and it cost him £15 Shocked
Think he's was far too excited.

Cheers

AZ
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My latest bit of tuning kit - a combined abrasive pad, wire brush & metal scraper from Poundland for the princely sum of erm £1. Never let it be said I don't splash the cash.
snow report
You could have saved some money and brought it from the 99p store Very Happy
snow conditions
or the euro store - if you live in the eurozone snowHead
ski holidays
Am about to book my first boarding hol to andora, arinsal Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Cant wait.
Want snow so i can board to work as its mostly down hill.
ski holidays
Aaron, sounds like you have the bug already and believe me when you get back you'll be well and truly hooked. I used to ride at tamworth every Fri, mainly because the ramp was out. My advice for a first holiday if you haven't already is helmet, wrist guards and knee pads. I took my bro boarding for a week in Bavaria after his learn in a day at tamworth and it all proved its worth on day one Laughing He lost his heel in first five minutes in the slope and bashed his head bad, if it wasn't for the helmet Puzzled Ten minutes later lost his toe edge, so the wrist guards helped. The knee pads are really just to protect your knees from bruises and cold when kneeling down, oh and crash pants to protect your ass from bruises and cold when sitting down. I have been using all four bits of protective kit for the last 8 years and don't ride without them. Some will say you don't need any of it, but in my opinion you do! They will give you confidence knowing your protected and could ensure your holiday lasts longer saving you from broken wrists etc. Anyway, just a little advice for a new boarder, have fun and let the whole new world of snowboarding begin.
snow report
Welcome to the madness that is SnowHeads Boarder7064, some sage advice there - I won't venture near rails without a bit of extra padding, impact shorts are a godsend if you're not a natural freestyler. Don't normally bother with armor when bashing pistes (other than the ol' bonce protector, but thats another extremely long and contentious thread explored elsewhere) but it's all down to personal choice.
snow report
Boarder7064,
Thanks for the advice.
Have got a helmet but none of the rest knee pads sound good as when i got home from the board in a day i had two huge lumps on each knee and i couldnt sit properley for a month.
impact shorts? not seen them any idea on where to look and what to look out for?
Me and my bro are meeting up with a few from snowheads on 24/9 at tamworth if your up for it?

cheers
snow conditions
aaron6370, I'm living down in Bath now so don't get up there these days, thanks for the offer though. Crash pants - search on ebay for impact shorts or protection shorts i have some similar to ebay item number 280643221014, go for a larger size that small as you will be wearing them all day and don't want a too tight fit. Some good knee pads, ebay item number 270804825023, they also offer good support on your knees for long riding days but go for a larger size rather as they may cut your circulation off if too tight, you will be wearing them a long time. Soft knee pads are good as they won't rip your pants in the knees. Be aware that you will need baggy pants if your wearing the shorts and pants. I suppose as a young rider the baggier the better though wink It may seem a little expensive getting all this kit, but its stuff you only have to buy once.
snow conditions
aaron6370, I just bought 'Go snowboard' by Neil McNab from Amazon for about £5, i bought it for my bro as he's only been snowboarding for a year. It's a very good coaching book and DVD, to be honest the DVD is better than the book. It tasks you from beginner to freestyle. I have watched a lot of snowboarding DVDs over the years hoping to pick up some tips. I would recommend this one, its cheap and very very good coaching style. It doesn't matter how good you get, it's always to good to go back and watch something like this as there is always something to improve on. I never had a lesson until after about 6 years of riding, i learned a from dvd called 'boarding skool' then just went out and practiced. My advice for a new rider, is take something like this with on a laptop and watch it before you go to bed every night (If your serious about learning and not just partying that is). You will see what you doing wrong and how you can improve something and you will get better very quickly by concentrating on something through the day, i.e cross over turns or cross under turns. it also gives you some things to practice while on the slopes.
snow conditions
Boarder7064,

Nice one mate, thanks for the info. I'll look in to it.
booked the trip to andora this satursay.
Reeeealy excited.
snow conditions
Hoping to order some F22 boots shortly, once I work out what size my existing ones are. May grab some trad bindings too, are Salomon's any good ?
snow report
Thanks for the info! It sure is exciting but i know i cant spare somedays for it Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy