Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido for beginners - advice sought

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My partners daughter & boyfriend are hoping to spend a few weeks in hokkaido in the new year. Having enjoyed their first weeks skiing in the alps last year they are thinking of trying to include a weeks skiing in their trip to japan. Has anyone any recommendations for resorts with good beginners pistes and english speaking instructors? Likewise any suggestions for accommodation would also be welcome.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have only been to Niseko but the beginner facilities here are quite good, as I was checking out what if I bring some beginners to this resort later on. That skiing resorts have a lot of Australians so English speaking instructors shouldn't a problem. There are hotels at the bottom of the chairlift station at both Hirafu and Higashiyama which are excellent for ski-in and ski-out.

The snowhead Mike Pow permanent station there and should be your first port of call.

It has excellent transfer bus facilities door to door from airport to hotels.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks[b]saikee[/ I'll pass on both those suggestions to them. I'm struggling not to be envious of them as I had a great week in hakuba a few years ago & would love the opportunity to ski in japan again.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Niseko is certainly the obvious suggestion. Very easy to get to, loads of English speaking instructors and accomodation options. However I wouldn't rule out a few of the other resorts on the island like Furano, Tomamu or Sahoro. They're all starting to cater alot more to western visitors and their slopes are well suited to beginners and intermediates. They'll be alot quieter too, with fewer people on wide rockered skis cruising past on the beginner slopes to get back to the lifts! They feel a bit more like Japan too, as they're outside the Aussie bubble that is Niseko!

If they're planning on visiting for a few weeks, I assume they'll be travelling around the island? They could also call in on a few different resorts for a couple of days in each rather than having one solid week of skiing in just one place?

If you/they want any tips on non-skiing stuff to do, feel free to drop me a line. I live here year round, and am more than happy to help.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ThanksMagSeven, For some really useful information that i'll pass on straight away. Thanks also for the offer of further advice on things to see and do. As yet, they are very much just looking at the feasability of the trip, but should they decide to go ahead I might well take you up on the offer. I also foresee a later posting " can anyone recommend accomodation & ski school in........."
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MagSeven, Hi, am planning to visit hakkuba and niseko in feb next year, and would love some suggestions for off slope diversion , as my OH and sis are coming along and neither really bothered about the skiing , and the busier they are the more freeski time I have Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nickH wrote:
My partners daughter & boyfriend are hoping to spend a few weeks in hokkaido in the new year. Having enjoyed their first weeks skiing in the alps last year they are thinking of trying to include a weeks skiing in their trip to japan. Has anyone any recommendations for resorts with good beginners pistes and english speaking instructors? Likewise any suggestions for accommodation would also be welcome.

The Niseko Resort Area, Rusutsu, and the Club Med operation at Sahoro all fit the bill for great beginner terrain and English speaking instructors.

Long way to go for second week of skiing however.

I've replied to your PM. Might be best to answer my questions and provide more info in this thread as there are others besides myself who bring a lot of info and experience to the table. So to speak Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Mike Pow, a good idea.

When? Flexible, but would prefer it later in the season, so how late can they leave it to still be sure of snow?
Budget? Modest ( as much as a ski trip to japan can be ) so happy to stay in a hostel provided they can have their own room & its not too noisy They also like the idea of, say, the japanese equivalent of a b&b, particularly as i told them I enjoyed one in hakuba during my trip.

Though not averse to a large resort they rather like the idea of a smaller resort & a more japanese experience.
Whilst happy to do it completely diy, are there any companies that anyone can recommend that will organise transfer/hotel/ski pass/instruction packages if they sort out their own flights?
Are the local/regional tourist offices worth approaching?

Damn, the more I ask, the more I want to go myself - time to start looking for something for myself but closer to home !!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Are they going to Hokkaido regardless? For a holiday, wedding or work or such like?

If so, where please? Will help with the advice.

As an example, the Niseko Resort Area closes at the end of Golden Week - the first week in May. There is normally top to bottom skiing. And if not, a short gondola ride down from mid mountain to the base.

Spring snow conditions but also the best chance of sunny weather and clear skies. English language instruction may be hard to find.

Easy to organise Japanses run B&B or Ryokan on Hokkaido to give a more 'authentic' experience.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Mike Pow,

I think the current plan ( in its early stages ) is to spend 2 or 3 weeks in hokkaido, of which 1 would be skiing & the others doing some of the sights. They have both visited parts of southern japan in the summer so are now thinking of checking out hokkaido as well as trying some more skiing

Hadn't realised the season went so late, so my guess is they may well leave it 'till at least march - is there a big difference between 'high' & 'low' season there in terms of general costs & are there particular times best avoided ( eg the equivalent of school half-terms & holidays ?

Definitely think the more 'authentic' experience will be the one they'd prefer
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The later they can leave it the cheaper it gets.

As beginners, powder shouldn't be the major factor for visiting.

Mid-end of March is still very much winter with everything open, regular top ups of snowfall, sunny skies, deserted.

All of January is peak season with Aussie school holidays and Chinese New Year.

However the 'sights' of Hokkaido are very limited until May when the snow melts and it's sakura (cherry blossom) season.

The ice floes off the Shiretoko Peninsula could well be gone by March however

Good info here

http://www.scenicbyway.jp/english/index_e.html

http://www.shiribeshi.pref.hokkaido.lg.jp/ss/srk/en/index.htm

http://www.quirkyjapan.or.tv/hokkaido.htm
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike Pow, you're making it sound so good - thought of getting sponsored by hokkaido tourism ?

Seriously, some great links thanks, that should give them something to chew over for a bit. I've also put them on to the snowjapan site which i found helpful when i was looking for myself
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are still lots of interesting things to do during the winter that aren't skiing related. Sapporo is a great city, and in Feb has the famous snow festival. A trip to the Sapporo brewery and beer museum is good fun too. Otaru is a pretty city on the coast with a scenic canal and old glass shops. Noboribetsu is an interesting volcanic area, with popular onsen (natural hot springs). And the lakes are beautiful in the winter, most are frozen over and surrounded by mountains, especially if they travel out to the east to Lake Akan, or Lake Masshu.

But, (apart from the snow!) the BEST thing in Hokkaido is the food! So much amazing food to try, crab, sea urchin, all kinds of sushi and sashimi, ramen noodles, soup curry, bbq lamb, chocolate, and of course the beer! I thoroughly recommend watching the linked episode from Anthony Bourdain's 'No Reservations' when he visited Hokkaido last winter:

http://youtube.com/v/r1pO320lwxc
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great info MagSeven and a great clip.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks MagSeven, I second that absolutely !

I really enjoyed the clip myself & you've hit the nail on the head with the food angle as they're both very much into food, particularly japanese food.

I did find watching the skiing bit a litttle unsettling though, almost experiencing the equivalent of the ' phantom limb ' effect - feeling it even though it wasn't there ! what's a suitable phrase for the opposite of the post season ' withdrawal symptom ' I wonder, a pre season ...................
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy