Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski rack mounted on the back of a car

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We were (kindly) given a ski rack by our dealer after the bike rack fell off the back of the car due to an abysmal fitting effort by the service department (spare parts? Pah, we'll just chuck 'em away and leave the rack completely unsupported) and I'm a little concerned about it's design. It seems that you're supposed to stick the skis on the back of the car completely devoid of any covering - or at least it looks that way in the brochure. Does this not mean you get to your destination with all manner of road gubbins in your bindings and a coating of salty, dirty water on your skis? I assume that this would damage them.

My query really is should I stop worrying, wrap the skis in plastic sheeting or similar so they're protected, find a way to get the skis in the car with us and all our baggage or take a taxi? We're only driving the 30 odd miles to the airport so it's not that far, I just can't get my head round strapping uncovered skis to the back of the car and then driving it down the motorway.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spannah, have you seen skis on car roofs in ski resorts? they are never covered.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There isn't much road gunk unless you strap them underneath the car, and the first time you put them on and the snow gets all over them, they'll be clean anyhow.

We drove 600 miles with the skis exposed on the roof, and saw many others doign the same. The only important thing is to make sure they are really well secured together with ski ties or similar, otherwise they can vibrate and rattle against each other, which would not be good. For 30 miles it really, really isn't a problem.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, I was just a bit worried about them being on the back of the car, rather than the top and having a car in between them and the road surface, and being aware of how much gunk the bikes get covered in when we drive with them on the back. I guess it's just a case of me worrying too much (again)....
latest report
 cran
cran
you can wrap the bindings in cling film (or a plastic bag) if you want to stop them getting dirty.

Also tape the ends otherwise the cling film (or bag) will come off.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We don't put our skis on the roof of our car without putting them in ski bags first. I don't really want 700 miles of road grit and gunge in my bindings!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Monium wrote:
There isn't much road gunk unless you strap them underneath the car, and the first time you put them on and the snow gets all over them, they'll be clean anyhow.

We drove 600 miles with the skis exposed on the roof, and saw many others doign the same. The only important thing is to make sure they are really well secured together with ski ties or similar, otherwise they can vibrate and rattle against each other, which would not be good. For 30 miles it really, really isn't a problem.

Hmmm, not sure about that. If the road is remotely wet then our (white!) Scooby changes colour from top to bottom on the 100Km trip to Whistler. We have a roof box for just that reason (as well as being useful for other things), though you can get some little covers that zip over the bindings which is the bit I'd be most worried about.
I'll put skis in the car for very short trips to the local mountains if it is just me in the car, but otherwise think what would happen with a car full of skis in a crash. Shocked

If you think they will be fine on the back, then why do car manufacturers bother with putting rear wash/wipes on (or even front ones) ? wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've seen quite a few cars with uncovered skis on the roof, however my advice would be to cover them up to prevent any gunk getting into the bindings.
Bindings are designed to release quickly given a certain force (in a fall) and so i wouldn't want anything to slow that process. Cling film sounds like a good idea for a short trip.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My gear (snowboards) lives on the roof of the truck, not in a bag, from June to October - never take it off apart from to use it. All the ski field access roads are 20-30km of dusty offroad track - stuffs the air filter on the truck, and quickly covers everything.

Other than the top sheet fading a bit due to the sun, I never have any issues, and the first run of the day cleans all the crap off.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy