Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

August glacier skiing - how much longer?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
You should have seen the state of the Tignes glacier this morning - described here

Photos soon. Mentioned in that post a trip around the glacier in a piste basher on Sunday or Monday, weather permitting. That will be very interesting. I've got a lot of questions for the piste security director who's taking me around!

In fact - any snowHead Heads have any questions they want me to ask? Obviously the guy is only responsible for the technical side of piste maintenance, so there's little point asking too many awkward questions, I'll doubt I'll get any useful answers! But fire away if you've got any suggestions...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG - Re the Tignes glacier, I've seen on their website that they're meant to be replacing the drag that never runs - during winter at leat - at the bottom of the Grand Plan run ("Double Plan" I think) with a new chair this year ... is that true and has it started?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stevew, don't know - but I'll ask!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG, Can't think of any questions right now but the trip sounds a lot of fun and a great opportunity! Take some pictures while you are there!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It would be interesting to know the rate of recession, and the projected impact of further recession.

I get the impression that summer skiing in itself is a loss-leader for the few Alpine resorts that offer it, but I've no facts to back that up. I guess it appeals in terms of offering a distinctive all-round package for visitors - but the costs of providing it must be very high.

I haven't summer-skied the Grande Motte glacier since they replaced the two-stage gondola up from Val Claret with the funicular, though I've been back a few times in winter. It certainly used to offer a great run, even in September, from the top of the cablecar down to what used to be a chairlift with a dog-leg turn. I remember a T-bar down there as well, with a bump run, but I guess they struggle to offer much below the top station of the funicular now. What's the longest run available, and where does it end?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Mont Blanc, taken from the Panoramic Terrace at Grande MotteHere are the photos taken this morning. No effort to photograph the "best" or "worse" views, it's a fair representation of how things are, good and bad. Still, you might struggle to find the good!

Haven't had time to sort/title them yet, but I can explain which pistes/views are involved, in the meantime, if anyone's curious...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 6-08-05 13:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a stupid question.....

Would not skiing/boarding/pisteing on it in summer make any difference to the glacier?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG, I have just one word to say. Yuch!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
I have a stupid question.....

Would not skiing/boarding/pisteing on it in summer make any difference to the glacier?

I don't think it's a stupid question. As far as I know, the use of chemical snow cement (used by racers to firm up wet snow) has been banned on glaciers, and hopefully people respect that.

Any form of skiing is a process of erosion - skis can't turn without causing erosion - so snow is always swept downhill by skiers. But given the thickness of snow and ice where most glacier skiing takes place (despite global warming) the effect of skiing must be fairly superficial.

The use of snow guns on glaciers, which is a relatively recent stop-gap against the problems, is controversial. But snowmaking is controversial, generally, in view of the water and energy consumption.

Certainly all this use of plastic sheets, snow guns, snow harvesting and glacier/snow 'maintenance' is quite a blot on a once pristine mountainscape ... but fortunately our activities take up a reasonably limited area of the Alps and there's very little expansion of ski terrain taking place.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, Sad. If anything it looks even worse than here! Of course the Grand Motte glacier is steeper than ours, so I presume there are likely to be more and bigger crevasses anyway. Shame you lost what you'd gained. Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PS - forgot to mention - the one thumbnail photo in the post above is of Mont Blanc, taken looking north from the terrace of the Panoramic Restaurant on Grande Motte. Click on the thumbnail for the full definition image...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy