Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

body armor

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi all,

I'm a (mostly) on piste skier with reasonable skill,
but a while back I had a rather bad experience while skiing and this made me consider buying some protection to wear.
I have been looking around the internet at all types of helmets, body armor, pads,...

But what do you guys think?

If you do recommend protection, what kind? (also, some pointers to where I could buy that stuff and what I should watch out for would be nice Smile )
Do you recommend protection at all?
If you wear protection yourself, do you find it restricting? cumbersome? itchy?

I'd love to hear from people with more experience in that area Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hi there mr pink, if its any consolation a must is a helmet. i also where crash pants (basically longer legged boxer shorts with padding) made by dainese and wrist protectors. this is mainly down to previous injuries playing rugby and motorbikes! no doubt you should get a feel from others who will reply. pistes can be hard and compacted in jan and feb and depending on you level if you go over then there is an OUCH! just read a post earlier regards a man only a few metres off piste, fell, hit head on rock and died.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Son #1 wears a BMX style body armour jacket to ski in (similar to this but the junior version) and impact shorts (like these). He does dry slope slalom racing though so needs them for that - as the impacts although infrequent can be fast and hard when they happen. Haven't really noticed that he needs them as much for his general recreational skiing but we work on the principle that we'd regret it if having got the kit he didn't wear it and then injured himself in a way which could have been prevented by it so we do encourage him to use it anyway.

Helmets - we all wear them and have done for years. It's becoming the norm more and more - and if you're skiing on the other side of the pond you'll rarely see anyone skiing without a helmet. I'd suggest visiting a shop and trying them on to see what style/size you're comfortable with. It's worth getting someone to check the fit for you - as a rough guide once it's on if you wiggle the helmet back and fore you should see the skin on your forehead move with it. If it doesn't the helmet is too big! If you've got one anywhere near you then Decathlon will have helmets at very reasonable prices once their winter stock comes in - or Aldi and Lidl both always have cheap ones (which still conform to the relevant safety standards) at some point duirn the late autumn.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MrPink, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead . Now why does that sound like I'm talking to myself? Laughing

Anyway, as roche1800 has indicated, many of us do wear a helmet (and there are quite a few threads on here on the merits or otherwise of doing so - just do a search Toofy Grin ).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Okanagan wrote:
..Helmets - we all wear them and have done for years. .... ..

Who are 'we all' ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MrPink, lightweight motorcycle body armour works well for me, but I don't wear it all the time. It took a while to find some good stuff but went for Dainese kit in the end. I was keen to get a back protector included but the version I bought seems to have gone. If buying again I'd probably go the 1st option with a back protector if the second one was too bulky.

http://www.dainese.com/uk_en/multisport-winter/active-race-jacket.html

http://www.dainese.com/uk_en/motorbike/jacket-wave-v-1-2-3.html?cat=41

ps. This stuff seemed cheaper in bike shops than ski shops.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for the advice!
achilles, you don't wear a helmet? why?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MrPink,

a few body armour comments in this thread

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1534142&highlight=body+armor+armour#1534142

Quote:

achilles, you don't wear a helmet? why?

Wooly booble hats are as addictive as heroin Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy