Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A spectacularly inaccurate article about summer skiing ...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
... has just appeared on the Forbes.com website. This is one of America's more famous and adequately funded business magazines, but "The Twenty Coolest Summer Skiing Resorts" are, in Forbes' view ...

Hintertux, Austria
Schladming, Austria
Whistler-Blackcomb, Canada
Alpe d'Huez, France
Tignes, France
Val d'Isere, France
Val Thorens, France
Les Diablerets, Switzerland
Zermatt, Switzerland
Mount Hood, Oregon, USA
Bariloche, Argentina
Las Lenas, Argentina
Falls Creek, Australia
Thredbo, Australia
La Parva, Chile
Portillo, Chile
Termas de Chillan, Chile
Mount Hutt, New Zealand
Treble Cone, New Zealand
Whakapapa, New Zealand

... and the descriptions in the text could cost readers of the magazine a lot of money in wasted travel if they take them seriously: glaciers which are not operating this summer, and - in the case of Val d'Isere it's claimed that the resort shares the Grande Motte glacier with Tignes. Well, yes, err ... in winter!

Saas Fee, Stubai and Les Deux Alpes are some curious omissions. 16 out of the 20 resorts are, IMHO, justified in being in the list.

If anyone else would like to contribute points, or other resorts that really ought to be there, we can let the Forbes editor in on this thread ... and maybe get a reaction!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would guess any of the Southern Hemisphere ones are better than any of the Northern, because I guess they're talking about winter skiing, but in the northern summer.

My first experience of skiing was at Mt. Hood in the summer.

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, they're Americans, at least half of them if not more will never leave the US so why should we care Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here are some quotes from the Forbes article:
Quote:
Dachstein and Obertauern Glaciers have particularly good runs for intermediate skiers, and the pistes are well-maintained despite Schladming's relatively low altitude.

That's the first I've heard of the "Obertauern Glacier", certainly as a summer ski area. Schladming's altitude seems hardly relevant - in summer. I've not skied the Dachstein glacier - can anyone throw any light on this?
Quote:
A big favorite with snowboarders because of its three half-pipes, Les Diablerets Glacier makes for fantastic skiing year-round.

Well, it might do if it was open, but the lift company went bust earlier this year. The skiing up there is hardly "fantastic" - it's quite a low-gradient glacier.
Quote:
Presided over by one of the world's most famous mountains, the Matterhorn, the ski resort of Zermatt is notorious for its black-diamond runs.

That may be, but there ain't much snow on them at this time of year!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowheads could make some money here Happy How about doing the all American thing & launch a class action law suit against Forbes for publishing a load of rubbish Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There was a thread a couple of days ago, from Davidof, about the Sarene Glacier at Alpe d'Huez which seemed to show from the pictures that it basically wasn't there any more.....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, how could you say that Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Brookes, well mainly because I've met Americans outside of the US and that's what they've told me Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Quote:
Dachstein and Obertauern Glaciers have particularly good runs for intermediate skiers, and the pistes are well-maintained despite Schladming's relatively low altitude.

I've skiied the Dachstein in summer, and while you can actually ski until about midday you have to get up seriously early if you're in Schladming to get there for the opening lift as I'm pretty sure it's well over an hour to get from the town to the glacier. And there was only one pretty short blue run up there. But in summer there's loads to do in the area, just not "proper" skiing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
That's what I suspected, having skied Schladming (and wasn't quite clear at the time whether the Dachstein glacier was open in winter, then. Don't know if it is now).

The article is quite right to highlight Hintertux - probably the best summer skiing in Europe - but to select Dachstein as the other Austrian destination is very odd.

Stubai, Kitzsteinhorn, Pitztal, and the two glaciers above Solden are far superior, I would have thought.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf, I thought half of them will never leave their state! It's odd that LDA is mentioned because they (americans) do come here in relative numbers in the summer.stanton, I'm with you - maybe I could get out tourist office incolved too! Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith, it may be that Hintertux is the best of the lot, but it's the best of a bad lot! I've skied Hintertux, Soelden, Kaprun and Stubai in August and I can categorically state that it was a complete waste of time and money in every case Sad
As far as I can see, if you want to ski in the northern summer then the only thing to do is head for the southern winter. Otherwise you are going to be spending money for nothing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy