Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soldeu 15th Jan, book now or wait?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Found this deal with Neilsons, flying into Lleida-Alguaire from Birmingham:
Hotel Himalaia, HB, ski hire, lift passes and ski school 717quid a head.

I like the flight times (depart on the way out at 07:30 and back at 16:20), and apparently the transfers are much shorter from this airport.

Just the two of us going...is it a decent deal or should we wait and see where the snow is in Jan?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hi
i would definately wait!
we pretty much did the same thing last season, was the first time ever we booked so far in advance for a ski holiday, and also went the same dates you're talking about and to soldeu...... result was the snow conditions were far from great, some days we sat on our balcony with t-shirts on and it was 16 degrees! some of the slopes towards the bottom were boardline dangerous, freezing sheet ice at nice which by day became either slush or broken ice...... they hadn't had a decent snowfall in weeks and none was predicted to hit either.... for andorra i wouldn't book far in advance again......... but i suppose that's the gamble you take!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

and apparently the transfers are much shorter from this airport.

youspurs1, Alguaire Airport just look more near on the map, in reality the transfer take longer time than from Barcelona/ El Prat
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
IMO unless you have specific requirements I'd wait. And for some reason there always seem to be plenty of last minute deals leaving East Midlands, so you might bag one from there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
£717 per person is top whack for Andorra. You'd want to be in the best hotel in the country for that money on those dates.

Unfortunately we paid similar money for the week before last year, and ended up in a "4 star" hotel that was worse than an Etap.

Do your research, those dates are some of the cheapest of the season, second week of January is the cheapest week outside of pre-Xmas and after Easter in most resorts.

You could be in the best chalets run by mainstream operators in big French resorts for that price, even booking at this notice.

But I would wait too, unless you really need to be in that resort on that date etc. If it is just the two of you, then you could find a holiday on the 13th Jan and pay half that or get upgraded for nothing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, that price includes ski hire, ski school and lift passes, so isn't a bad deal. I'd be tempted to wait, but I definitely wouldn't be deciding at this point where to go. One of the advantages of booking late is that you can find somewhere with better snow, if conditions are a bit dodgy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK.
I just like having something to look forward to!
I'll stick my money away somewhere safe and wait for last minute.
Quite liked the look of that hotel though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
youspurs1, the Himilaia is a decent hotel, in a good location almost over the road from the main gondola, and a stones throw from a lot of the bars. We stayed there about three seasons back for a week.

And although it's nice to have one-in-the-bag, you can console yourself with the prospect of the pick of the conditions, and the warm fuzzy glow normally brought on by saving a few quid.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
youspurs1, Price sounds reasonable, but not an absolute bargain. The Hotel Himalaia is a bit better than average (3star'ish) and very central, food is adequate and buffet style so you have no need to go hungry. There is normally plenty of snow mid Jan, although last year was unusual for the whole of Europe. I skied the Chamonix valley a week after leaving Soldeu and there was more ice there. I returned to the Chamonix valley 2nd week of March only to find the ice had turned to slush, 3rd week of March I was back in Soldeu and conditions there were surprisingly much better than Cham, although they did deteriorate as soon as April arrived.

cbowls30, I was also in Soldeu from 8th to 30th Jan and whilst I will agree that condiitions were less than ideal, did you check the rest of the European resorts, because they also suffered from the same conditions.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah, last January was mixed - some days were great, others not so - there's a photo album from Jan 2011 here (most from Jan 9th according to the camera) or to compare there's Jan 2010 here.

Himalaia Soldeu is great location and agree with above comments - quite a good deal as it includes everything, but that's actually about the right price for that package (about the same through us). If you don't mind being a little further out of town then you could think about Hotel Euro Esqui in El Tarter which is a little cheaper and there's a shuttle bus to the El Tarter lifts in the day (same ski area of Grandvalira). Only thing is then you're not right in the main town for apres/nightlife, but regular buses along the main road.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy