Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lyon or Geneva to the three valleys?

Poster: A snowHead
We are planning to go to La Tania in March 2012. We can get easyjet flights to either Lyon or Geneva. Aside from the cost factor, is either of those airports preferable / have a shorter or better transfer?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sandk, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead

Geneva to La Tania is now just under 2 hours thanks to a new stretch of road (this does depend on other factors such as weather, busy weekend heavy traffic etc). , and Lyon is about the same. Chambery is more like an hour, but the airport can be subject to delays or even closure due to strong winds. This is pretty rare so may be worth considering if you can fly there from wherever is local to you. The train is another option, coming into Moutiers which is only 20 minutes from LT

FWIW we fly into GVA as there is a larger choice of carriers and therefore more likely to get decent flight prices
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sandk,
Quote:
FWIW we fly into GVA as there is a larger choice of carriers and therefore more likely to get decent flight prices
+1
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Prices depend a lot on how you're getting from the airport to resort too.

If you're going to be booking a private transfer, Geneva is cheaper whilst Lyon is both cheaper and easier for trains.

Happy planning!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unless you have a full mini bus of 8 or a big group requiring a coach then I suggest Geneva.. there are so many more transfer companies going to Geneva so the more chance of a good priced transfer. A couple of companies do shared transfers (www.3vt.co.uk) if you are a small group and there is also the public bus.

See you in La Tania Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree - GVA has much more transfer options.
I went to Lyon last year and it was dead ...... flight cheap but transfer a pain.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From a transfer company point of view we can offer cheaper transfers from Geneva as tolls not as much and it is a better route. So would say Geneva - more choice of flights, more choice of transfers and cheaper.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Think it depends on how you are travelling. If you are hiring a car then Lyon over Geneva in my experience.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree with theskibug, Geneva is the cheapest route as far as the transfer companies are concerned and with the new bit of motorway from Geneva about the same in time but a much more scenic route through Annecy.Rather than motorway all the way from Lyon
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Geneva has the added advantage of not being French - there's a fair amount of disruption by strike action in France.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w - anymore stereotypes? Added advantage is that the check in staff at Geneva don't smell of garlic? Transfers aren't by men on bikes wearing a stripy T Shirt, beret and onions round his neck?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alti - dude, va te faire foutre. It's not a matter of "stereotyping". I spend 4 months a year in France and we have had several lots of visitors whose trip has been disrupted by French ATC strikes and several more whose trip would have been, had they not been flying in and out of Geneva. You have obviously not been spending much time reading Snowheads threads or you'd be aware that I am more often (but equally inaccurately) accused of being biased against everywhere but France. wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w - you are right, I've not been reading Snowheads threads as I don't work in France so am able to work more than 35 hours, so haven't had time NehNeh

Anyway go into and out of Lyon 10 times a year and never had a real problem. Only issue I've had the last couple of times is the plane leaving early ! !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alti - dude, the fact that you haven't had any problem with French strikes doesn't mean they don't happen. They do. It is a fact that Geneva is less often disrupted by strikes than Lyon, so is one other relevant factor to chuck into the discussion. If I was asked which of the two countries I would prefer to live in, then the answer is France. but that wasn't the question
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've just had a quick look at transfer prices from Geneva, having booked a Boxing Day trip to Val Thorens.

Quote:

Geneva is the cheapest route as far as the transfer companies are concerned

£300 for 2 of us in a minibus transfer Shocked If that is the cheapest route I daren't imagine how much would the dearest route might be? Puzzled

Or it would be £174 (+ fuel) in a hire car (for 8 days rental) with Car Hire 3000.

Hmm. Let me think....
latest report
Thing is, it would be £300 for 8 of you in a minibus transfer...

(OK, some companies do charge a little extra per person).
ski holidays
If that £300 is a return price it's not too bad. It's a schlep. The fuel and tolls in a biggish vehicle would probably cost around £90 and even in good weather it'll be about 12 hours driving (depending on where the vehicle is based). So if the driver gets paid a fairly minimal £8 an hour that leaves around £100 gross, from which the operator would need to cover depreciation on the vehicle and tax etc, before making a modest profit. Hardly daylight robbery. I wonder how much it would cost in the UK to get an equivalent taxi ride on Boxing Day?
latest report
Take a look at Bens Bus www.bensbus.co.uk - we have used it last couple of years Geneva to Meribel and works well - c.
£70 return per person.
ski holidays
Thank you for all your replies! The flights to Lyon are (currently) cheaper for us, but given all the comments on this thread we'll check out the cost and timing of the transfers from both! Very Happy
latest report
PBJ, Benbus is good to get to Meribel but they won't come to La Tania so you have to get a taxi across or get your chalet company to pick you up. sandk, if you have not already take a look at latania.co.uk.. the travel pages will give you loads of info and a number of transfer companies.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy