Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

USA resort choice

Poster: A snowHead
GrahamN, I did not mean to suggest it isn't a real medical issue. I simply think folks get fixated on it and talk themselves into a wide variety of symptoms.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I tend to agree with Rusty Guy. .
Quote:

I simply think folks get fixated on it and talk themselves into a wide variety of symptoms

For sure if your not fit you will feel the "thin air". You can test this by just walking up some stairs as soon as you arrive in a high altitude area.

I,ve flown countless times from Amsterdam to Telluride (so basically from 7 metres below sea level to 8750 feet) . As soon as I arrive in town I will have a pint or three to set me up for a good nights sleep. I ski hard for 6-7days then fly home. Jet lag is only a problem flying East to West in the Nothern Hemisphere.

In the early days (80's) when flights from Europe to Denver & car hire were way more than they are now I used to fly to LA and drive back to Colorado . Flights and car hire were much,much cheaper and if your luck was in you could recoup a few $$$$ in Las Vegas on the overnight stop Smile

Driving upto Colorado would seem to give you the time to adjust to the altitude but to be honest I dont notice any difference to flying direct in .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SorryCorrection

Jet lag is only a problem flying Weat to East in the Nothern Hemisphere.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
some excellent replies thanks... what happens in the southern hem ??

Im certainly looking forward to skiing with Rusty ! snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
we'll work very, very hard to make sure you have a great time. I say we because everyone at Winter Park is absessed with creating a wonderful experience. You will notice it on buses, at lifts, foodservice, ticket windows, etc.

Royal, feel free to e-mail me @ guyrb@msn.com with any questions that you might have.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
i alread have and you did NehNeh
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rusty Guy wrote:
we'll work very, very hard to make sure you have a great time. I say we because everyone at Winter Park is absessed with creating a wonderful experience. You will notice it on buses, at lifts, foodservice, ticket windows, etc.

I hope the absesses clear up by the time i get there !
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
didn't know it was ewe.......love that dry UK humor.....or is that humour?

you guys occasionally slip a "u" into a word a la plough....we substitute an "a"!

know budy sed ske instructurs could spel or tipe.

P.S. last year at epic I posted a thread and described our assistant ski school director as being a very busty woman. it was an attempt to describe a heavy work load not her appearance. she is a great soul, however, she isn't a huge fan of banalities or bawdy humor. she laughed so hard when she read it that she needed oxygen.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LOL, very good.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Royal wrote:
some excellent replies thanks... what happens in the southern hem ??
since the earth still spins in the same direction, the jet lag down there should be the same as up here. But your bathwater does spin the opposite way down the plughole....... weird. Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IncogSkiSno, I have just about made my mind up to go to Banff/LL for 10 days end Feb/beginning March.
I was thinking about staying in Lake Louise because it appears to have a larger ski area (and back bowls to ski off-piste) BUT apparently the village is really quiet. We're no hell-raisers and we're usually bushed after a day's skiing, but we would like a bit of company in the evenings. What have you heard and where are you staying?

richmond, Could you pass on any tips? Cheers Little Angel
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
erica2004, We are not going until 2006/2007, and we were going to go for xmas/New year but our friends are now having second thoughts because of the price and the extremely cold weather conditions (does anyone know how cold the temperstures are likely to be at this time of year?) So, I haven't actually got round to sussing things out yet, I'm still working on 2005/2006 holidays, so sorry not much help to you I'm afraid, and I've not tried 'proper' off piste yet so our needs may be different to yours. You'll be able to advise me when you return from LL/Banff hopefully. snowHead

Edit: What did you think of Lech?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IncogSkiSno, I love Lech. We'll always take one holiday a year there.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
erica2004, I must give it a try sometime - we love Austria snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
erica2004, stay in Banff and ski Norquay, Sunshine and Louise. Banff is an idyllic town and transportation to all three mountains from the town is superb.

it will be cold. it's a winter sport wink i'm sure you can find average temps somewhere. i've been there twice in early march. mornings can be-20 to -10 at the base areas. i bet the march 1 average low is -15. i would say the base area will rarely get to zero. This is on your scale (centigrade).

in 1992 i was there and the high was -40. it is ........a dry cold.
latest report
Changed my mind about Banff - looks a bit cold Sad I don't know where the bl**dy hell to go. Too much choice. At this rate we won't be going anywhere.
ski holidays
Rusty me old mate, I imagine winter park get very very very cold, whats the average for feb/march ??
snow conditions
erica2004, if you're thinking of going to Banff end of Feb/beg March it shouldn't be too cold then, although anything can happen of course! The normal cold period for Banff is Jan - we've been twice to Banff, once the beginning of March, once the middle - and it was no colder than any other ski resort.
snow report
Royal, it can get VERY cold. Apart from silk thermals, make sure you bring a face mask too, if you want to ski on the cold days.
snow conditions
roger.

silk.....humm
ski holidays
Royal, well, you can go synthetic if you want, but I find the thinness of silk is excellent, and it does help with the warmth.
snow report
think i might feel a bit kinky clad in silk, who knows what might happen !
snow conditions
This may help with the temp stats...
http://www.skiwinterpark.com/mountain/stats/weatherhistory.htm
snow conditions
Average low = 0 degree Fahrenheit = -17.7777778 c

id say that was fairly cold.
ski holidays
erica2004,

Banff is a great little town, and the skiing (and scenery) is fantastic. I'd recommend staying in Banff rather than LL. There's a lot more to do, and even if you're no longer a hell-raiser, you'll find LL a bit dull. You can ski all the three local areas (Norquay, LL and Sunshine) using the shuttle bus to move between them (free with the tri-area pass).

Temperatures can be a lottery. When it's cold, it's really cold. Otherwise it's acceptable.
Like Rusty Guy says, skiing is a winter sport. Better cold than slush. So long as you layer up (and yes, wear a face mask if it's bitter) you'll be OK.

If you get a REALLY cold day, then stay at Norquay: the skiing is more limited, but the temperature is normally milder and because almost all the runs are below tree-line, you're sheltered from wind-chill.

My first experience of Banff was an early January trip, when we had a few days of -30 temperatures, but it didn't stop me going back: I must have made have made half-a-dozen trips there, now.
snow report
the key is wearing the right clothing.

the advances made in materials are truely amazing. i have never worn more than an inner layer, an mid layer and a shell on top. on my lower body a base layer, an mid layer and a pair of pants.

i'll tell all about my latest trick. several companies make a pair of shorts that look like a bike short sans padding. i wear that as a base layer. the great thing about these is that on days with a high above zero i skip the mid layer. patagonia used to make the short and stopped. now i just buy a pair of "compression shorts" much like a track and field sprinter wears. i use this as underwear.

i make sure i have a fleece and or coat with a collar that can cover a goodly portion of my face. i think many of these other devices merely trap moisture when you exhale and and make one's face colder.

i only wear Hestra gloves from Sweeden. they are by far the best gloves in terms of warmth and longevity. i can go through two pairs in the course of a 150 day season.

keep in mind that low temps are often just that. on cold days air get's trapped in valleys and you get these absurd lows at weather stations. it is often the case that mid mountain morning temps are higher. having said that summit temps can of course be very low at times. then there is......a breeze.

five minutes of warming every hour is prudent on cold days. knowing how to spot and/or mitigate frostbite is crucial.

finally as an aside it was 29 degrees yesterday morning in the valley below my cabin. winter is not far behind Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy