Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

usa airline baggage fee

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know how much should I should expect to pay to take a double ski bag over to colorado this year? Had a search on here and google and not been able to find any helpful answers. Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went to Utah in march and it was £50/ski bag each way! boot bag included in ski carriage. Crackers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
what airline was that with? was that just a single ski bag too? will have to research weight/dimensions of ski bags
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry can't remember off the top of my head. I went with my parents. I think that it might have been klm but I am not sure. I will ask them later. Managed to get away with 2 pairs of skis in one bag at maybe 23kg in total weight.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Even worse than Ryanair (£40 each way = £80): which are nfortunately the only suitable flight times for one of my holidays this year - and you can't hire good semi-fat skis in Arabba, let alone with touring bindings.

When did they start charging people coming from Europe for ski carriage? When I last went skiing in the USA they were charging their own people that sort of amount but people flying from Europe could take them free. I knew it couldn't last.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mark_20vt, Scheduled airlines tend to charge the extra bag fee for sports equipment, allowing you to substitute the bag for one ski bag and one boot bag.

Last year the fee was 50, Euros going out, and dollars coming back, if prepaid online when you check in online there was a 20% discount. This was pretty much standard across the airlines, and what we paid travelling to Utah last Feb/March. The total weight of both ski and boot bag mustnt exceed the 23kg, and on the return they didnt , just Toofy Grin

Total cost of ski carriage for us last year was around £78, but combined with the cheap flight still cost us less than the previous year with free ski carriage. We've just booked next years flights and the ski carraige has gone up to around 65 ( priced again euros going out, dollars coming back - currency dependant where you fly from ) but the flight hasnt cost any more so infact a slight increase in travel overall.

Dont bother researching dimensions of ski bags as they just weigh them , since its sports equipment its not oversized baggage. All the airlines have similar regulations, KLM IIRC is a bit more expensive.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nice one thanks people, i don't think thats too expensive really. I'll definitely be enquiring closer the time and seeing what i can get away with!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Should still be able to take a ski bag as your main hold piece up to 23kg. Coffin bags are your friend.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Does anyone know how much should I should expect to pay to take a double ski bag over to colorado this year?

Nothing!

We are flying to Denver with KLM next February and are taking a double ski bag at no charge. That plus one other checked in bag (for two passengers) is included in our baggage allowance provided that each bag weighs no more than 23kg. wink

The above plus a decent sized hand luggage each allows us to take all we need for a week.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fees on United/Continental werre revised (up) only last month.

Europe to USA

1st bag is free
2nd Bag $70

If 2nd bag is ski your allowed 2 pairs in one bag.

Round trip = $140

https://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/CheckedBaggage.aspx

https://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/sports.aspx

SWISS

Im not sure but it maybe worth looking if Flights via Zurich to the USA booked via SWISS weather they waive the Winter Sports Equipemtn charges for the total trip?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I go in the opposite direction - US to Europe. I always take either Swiss or Lufthansa. Neither charge for ski carriage to/from the US. You could connect in Zurich for Swiss or even better Frankfurt for Lufthansa. From Frankfurt you can pretty much get anywhere.

That is, of course, unless it's considerably cheaper to fly on a US carrier, where the added fees still come out cheaper. Even then, I still prefer Swiss or Lufthansa. The price difference would have to be very significant for me to use a US carrier. Keep the double bag below 23kg/50lbs. & it'll generally count only as an extra bag. As far as I know most US carriers just count ski bags as an extra bag & there's no added fee because it's sports equipment. Although, these things change regularly so always check the airline's website before you book.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Forgot to add- one of the only US airlines to charge no baggage fees is Southwest. So if you have to connect in the US to your destination they're a good option. Last time I checked they allow for 2 checked bags (a ski bag can be counted as a bag) at no extra charge.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I recently booked flights with Delta. First bag free, then a fee ($50 per flight, I think). That first bag can be a ski bag. So we're traveling (2 ppl) with one large suitcase and one double ski bag (of course with some clothing inside to "cushion" the skis). So at least in this case, the answer to the original questions is: nothing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No one does (takes) ski nowdays , just rent .

If you fly & ski alot it just not economical .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton wrote:
No one does (takes) ski nowdays , just rent .

If you fly & ski alot it just not economical .

lol so how much do you reckon it is to hire a decent set of freeride powder skis as well as a decent set of twin tips for 2 weeks in usa!?! a lot more than the baggage fee (if i even incur one!)
latest report
+ the benefit of having exactly the skis you want, knowing how they perform in a wide range of conditions, and, if you service them yourself (or have spyderjon do them) knowing that they are in good condition, with edges set to your choice.
snow report
achilles wrote:
+ the benefit of having exactly the skis you want, knowing how they perform in a wide range of conditions, and, if you service them yourself (or have spyderjon do them) knowing that they are in good condition, with edges set to your choice.

exactly
latest report
For example
There is a ski dumpster shop in Aspen (tourists dont really know about), there are places in other ski towns as well.

You can pick up (buy) a nice pair of second hand skis for $25-50. Pretty good value for 1,2,3 weeks skiing. When your done you just throw them in the trash or take them back and ask $10 for them . Very Happy
latest report
haha who the hell wants to ski on a 20quid pair of ski's!!!

when i've got about a grand invested in both my pairs i'm more than happy to spend 100quid getting them to and from the states as I'm sure many other proper skiers are!
latest report
mark_20vt, Invested in skis ?? Shocked As soon as you take them out of the store there worth 50% of what you paid . Do you know how much they depreciate ?

Seriously you can pickup some top brands (Boards as well) one or two years old for peanuts & if you dont like the ones you ski on you can tkake them back & pick out another pair. Folk who live in ski resorts ski on new planks every season & get given new skis. They chuck them out to the local dumpster shop.

A Ski bud of mine coming from Europe has been doing this for years in Aspen. He ski's on last or maybe 2 yr old seasons skis and spent only $45 inc sticks for 10days, when he was done he coould of just thrown them in the trash but he took them back to the store & he got $10 !

If you can ski, you can on anything Very Happy

Save's all the hassle of carrying them, no hire charges in resort. Very Happy

Re Renting.

Speak to any ski resort rental shop and there tell you there rent out skis have increased since the introduction of airline carriage charges.
snow report
I always take my own skis- can't find good telemark rentals anywhere!
snow report
not everyone wants other peoples cast offs and when u can afford decent stuff i'm not gonna argue about a few more quid to get my stuff to where i want to use it
snow report
One other point to bear in mind is code share flights...last year we flew on a Delta aircraft to Salt Lake City from Paris. As our flight number was an Air France flight number the policies applied are Air France policies - ie ski counts as one piece of baggage and boot bag counts as another piece so three in total with your suitcase. If we had booked under the delta flight number skis and boot bag count as one item so long as they have a combined weight of less than 23kg. We ended up having to take the boot bag on as hand luggage. Its not a real problem to do this but it helps to know in advance.
snow report
Hey I go skiing for as cheap as possible, i dont care about cast off's that how I managed to ski 30 seasons Happy

I be probably using your planls next year for nothing , LOL Happy

Telemarks no probelm you can pick them up as well
ski holidays
thanks darbyrw, will bear this in mind

cheers everyone else who actually had useful points
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy