Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help please - skiing in early April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been given the unenviable task of organising a trip for a mixed group in 2012 that includes:

children aged 6-12 with various levels of skiing ability from near beginner to quite good (all can cope with blues)
teenagers
experienced skiing adults, so a bit of off-piste opportunity would be nice, but nice cruisy slopes for the kids is more important
1 non-skiing adult

We have for several years been using Esprit (Val D'Isere, La Plagne and La Rosiere) due to childcare, but are looking for a change now that most of the kids are bigger - all families are happy to use ski school childcare where necessary, with all day ski school a bonus.

Not too worried about chalet or hotel (pool would be nice for little ones).

Nightlife not hugely important, but something for the teenagers would be good

Unfortunately, we are restricted to Easter holidays, which really means 31 March/1 April for a week

I'd like to take a change from France. I suspect somewhere like Corvara in the dolomites would be a good all-round compromise, but have concerns about snow there in April.

It feels like a near impossible brief, but I am sure that with the combined expertise of Snowheads, you will come up with something!

So, any bright ideas for where we might consider that has a realistic chance of snow?

Thanks in advance...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Might be worth looking at Cervinia? High - has a glaciar over Zermatt side. So chances of snow are good. I loved the long wide runs down from the top
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi rg1,

How many are in your group? If it's less than 24 then we might be able to help and we've still got Easter spaces.

We are located in Les Coches in the heart of snowsure Paradiski in a ski-in ski-out (fine for blue run skiiers) location. The chalet is great for children and teenagers alike with a seperate tv room from the lounge (stocked with dvd player, wii, free wifi etc). There's a sauna and a complimentary bar too for the adults. The major plus is that the excellent Evolution 2 ski school (with half days, whole days, private lessons and lunchtime care) operates from Les Coches.

Take a look if you think that it might suit - website in my tagline or drop me an e-mail if you have any questions.

Best wishes,
Heather
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We've been to Scotland for the last couple of years Little Angel
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are worried about snow the Tignes is always snowsure - plenty of chalets to chose from including Esprit, and independants such as Snowstarholidays.co.uk. Tignes has a fantastic pool (Le Lagon) with waterslides for the kids (large and small) entrance is included with the cost of a lift pass. Theres enough night life for everybody, blue runs back to resort (unlike Val) and endless off piste for the more adventurous.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cervinia is an interesting thought - maybe not ideal for the non-skier, but she is going to be pretty low in the priority list (it is meant to be a skiing holiday....). But does fit the other needs well. I have only ever skiied it from the Zermatt side, so don't know what the town is like?

Heather and chocksaway, thank you for your suggestions, but am specifically looking to go somewhere other than France for a change (and specifically a change from Esprit as well).

Any other bright ideas?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NickyJ wrote:
Might be worth looking at Cervinia? High - has a glaciar over Zermatt side. So chances of snow are good. I loved the long wide runs down from the top

+1 Great idea - massive cruisers in Cervinia with good blacks and itineries over the top in Zermatt if you get the cover. Was there last week of March this year and the snow was great, runs really interesting and jaw dropping scenery. Cervinia also has awesome mountain restaurants that are really good value, or if you want to spend, Zermatt has awesome mountain restaurants to break the bank (and awful mountain restaurants to break the bank) Smile The (Cervinia)run down from the very top lift, all the way to the bottom is the longest single run I've ever done, and is a cracking rolling red all the way, starts with glacial scenery then through trees to the bottom.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rg1 wrote:
Cervinia is an interesting thought - maybe not ideal for the non-skier, but she is going to be pretty low in the priority list (it is meant to be a skiing holiday....). But does fit the other needs well. I have only ever skiied it from the Zermatt side, so don't know what the town is like?

Heather and chocksaway, thank you for your suggestions, but am specifically looking to go somewhere other than France for a change (and specifically a change from Esprit as well).

Any other bright ideas?

Sorry should say, I only skied it from Zermatt too so can't comment re the town...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rg1, it does not matter where you choose to be honest, as that time of year there are still many, many resorts with snow down to the village. In the 50+ years I have been skiing, I have seen the season gradually creep from early start and finish to earlyish starts and late finish. Often the best snow conditions arrive with the "April Showers".

The "heightest" of this world forget that with all the established resorts now using snow cannons to build up a solid base all through the season and to top up later on, the seasons are now way longer than they used to be.

You'd be better off deciding what you want from your village and accommodation as well as your budget and then asking for advice. The end of March, beginning of April is one of my favourite times to ski as you have long days and the good chance of snow at night and endless powder to play in Laughing Just remember to pack the high factor sun cream! wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerburg Sue, I agree with you that early April can be a good time for all the reasons you mention, and I have skied then (and later) most years for the last 20. However, it does seem that some areas are pretty much packing up by then, hence my request for help. The areas that I had in mind that appear to meet most of the required criteria (and I have skied and enjoyed most of these in the past, but earlier in the season) all seem to fall into that category. Examples would be the dolomites, Ski Amade, Saalbach Hinterglemm - all of which I think would be ideal, but apparently high risk on the snow front. I'd welcome persuasion (preferably backed up by facts) that the risk is not as great as I believe for these areas...

I also have to sell whatever I come up with to some sceptical Francophiles who seem to believe that there is no option other than France. Assistance gratefully accepted!

Cervinia seems a very good idea - any comments on the town would be appreciated, especially its suitability for a non-skier.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Saas Fee would be very good. 3 very good ski schools for the kids and plenty to do for a non skier. My wife doesn't like skiing, so I can assure you that it is an excellent place for a non-skier. There is a lot of high mountain glaciated terrain, so possibly not ideal for off piste opportunities, but everything else fits the bill. However it'd be understandable if the current GBP-CHF exchange rate puts people off.

I don't know Italy well, but there are plenty of options at that time of year in Austria. St Anton, Ischgl, Galtur, Solden, Obergurgl, Zillertal, Obertauren, Kaprun are as snow sure as almost anywhere in France. I've probably missed one or two places out as well. Even the 'low' resorts around Salzburg, like Saalbach-Hinterglemm are more than likely going to fine at that time.

Obergurgl and Galtur could be good choices. Pretty, family friendly places with other large ski areas (Solden & Ischgl respectively) not far away. The Zillertal (Mayrhofen) could be a good choice for similar reasons. I've always quite fancied Zell-am-See, but never been there. Looks like a great place for kids and non skiers and it has Kaprun not far away for guaranteed snow. I'm off to Saas Fee again this coming season, but if the Swiss Franc continues as it is, then maybe in 2013.

Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis is another snow sure, family friendly place that gets good write ups from anybody who goes there. Get the impression it's not so good if you don't ski though.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rg1,
Quote:
Examples would be the dolomites, Ski Amade, Saalbach Hinterglemm - all of which I think would be ideal, but apparently high risk on the snow front. I'd welcome persuasion (preferably backed up by facts) that the risk is not as great as I believe for these areas..

I don't know where you get that idea from but many of these were doing better than some of the higher French resorts at the same time last season!

I switched from skiing in France to skiing in Austria, Sued Tirol and Switzerland in the late 1980s/early 1990s and have not really bothered to go back, although I am fluent (half French) and did have qualifications that were recognised in France (due to injury my qualifications have all been allowed to lapse). I have no problem finding areas to ski in all months of the ski season especially at the end of March and beginning of April. There is the Ski Welt area with Soell and Ellmau featuring in many brochures, as does Westerndorf, also close by are Kitzbuehl and Kirchberg.

I've been skiing in the Ski Amade region as my first choice for 20+ years and usually ski in St Johann im Pongau/Alpendorf with no trouble whatsoever until mid-April. The same goes for Wagrain, Flachau and Zauchensee, but not many of these resorts feature in British TOs ranges for some weird reason. We were skiing in Obertauern this year on 1st May (last day of our season passes) and the season was fairly poor in terms of the temperatures!

Died-in-the-wool Francophiles are hard to persuade and to be honest, I would look at the resorts in the Piedmonte and Sued Tirol (Dolomites) as their first fix away from the "motherland" wink You have charm, good food and some fantastic skiing with lots to do for non-skiers in some of the more swish resorts. Austria is better and offers many more choices, but may be a step too far as at least in Italy they still have contact with the language (assuming they have some knowledge).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rg1 wrote:

Any other bright ideas?

Must admit we stayed in Zermatt as well and that is also a good place as well but we said that if we go back we would stay in Cervinia. Zermatt is a large town so more for the non-skier. However Cervinia will be cheaper and we ate in the town a couple of times and wandered round the shops.

My parents did go there, they stayed in petite palais with Crystal and thoroughly enjoyed them it. We stayed in le petit hotel in Zermatt again Crystal but we were dissappointed with the food -however the chef walked out during the following week so I think he was struggling.

My criticism with Zermatt is the main ski areas aren't linked so you have to into the town and up another lift to get to them. Also i felt we spent such a long time on lifts before we got to ski compared to if we had been based in Cervinia. Also getting there was a bit of a faff as due to restrictions on petrol vehicles in town our transfer bus took us to a train station you waited and got on the train then onto little electric taxis (more waiting)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for Cervinia, good range of slopes for your childrens ability range and the experts can head over to Zermatt. Will non-skier be happy finding a nice place for lunch and admiring the Matterhorn? I can't comment on teenager nightlife requirements!

Samerberg Sue, good to hear that Amade will be open through until mid-April, because I'm planning a long trip to that neck of the woods next year and would like to make it as long as possible...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you stay in Cervinia avoid the Hotel Bruel at all costs. Thge food there was inedible - the only time i've walked out of a dining room!!! I'm very much of the persuasion "i've paid for it so I'm going to eat it", but this place plumbed new lows. (I was investiogating for another trip and read reviews from other seasons on tripadvisor that said the same - for years afterwards!!!)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy