Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which transceiver? Where to buy it?

Poster: A snowHead
Well it's finally time to get some off piste kit, so I'm looking for recommendations on which transceiver to get. Likely candidates are-

Pulse Barryvox
Tracker 2
Ortovox 3+

My priorities are, easy to use, good signal strength, easy to read display. (But I guess those are everyone's prioriites)

So, please advise, positives and negatives of the above. Also:-

Where's the best place to buy, in terms of price. I need all the rest of the gear as well, so offers packaging up sac, proble and shovel with the transceiver would be good.

Are there any new products likely to appear for the new season ?

Edit. Sorry, should have added that I'm based in SE England if you are going to recommend shop based purchase.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 9-08-11 9:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spud9, there are a few useful comments on this thread:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=69023#1635440
livetoski is very knowledgeable and I believe he (snowshepherd) offers a discount to snowHeads
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tranceivers are low mark up items for retailers so i wouldn't expect big discounts on new stuff.

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/all/c-offpistesafety/offpistesafetyitems-avalanchetransceivers/f/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pedantica wrote:
Spud9, there are a few useful comments on this thread:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=69023#1635440
livetoski is very knowledgeable and I believe he (snowshepherd) offers a discount to snowHeads

I got the ARVA Evo 3 after reading this thread, about half the price of some of your choices.
On completely unscientific testing (on the off piste bash) it seemed about equal to the tracker 2's range and simplicity. It's certainly larger than the Ortovox 3 + which thinking again I'd probably get.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/

Is very useful.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Read Beacon reviews - buy the one you can get your hands on a try out. I think most people would agree that all of the above are basically good and the best beacon to have is the one you know how to use.

I actually have the Pieps DSP which ins't in your list but I preferred over the Pulse.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have the Pulse. Played with a few others and seen a range being used in timed searches, but I've not seen anything else which I'd prefer to the Pulse as yet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spud9, We have a pair of Tracker 2's, if you want to have a look/play I'll bring them down to Hemel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spud9,
Quote:

Are there any new products likely to appear for the new season ?

The Ortovox S1 has been updated for 2011 2012 to the new Ortovox S1+ it now has the same transmit system as the 3+
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sport conrad had some good reductions recently, not sure if still current though
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the replies people, and the PMs fromanarchicsaltire, andlivetoski,.

anarchicsaltire, It would be great to see those Tracker 2s. Are you going to the Snowheads meet at Hemel on Saturday? If so maybe you could bring them. Failing that I'm at Hemel tomorrow (Tues) 7 till 9, doing the Ski Instructor preparation thingy, and also next Monday, all day (Inside out clinic).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Barryvox are bringing out a new transceiver this year called the Element to sit below the Pulse. This article suggests its just the same as the Pulse but in basic user mode, which is the mode most people use. http://www.wildsnow.com/3982/element-avalanche-beacon-from-barryvox-preview/

However someone told me last week that the price point for the Element will be £300, the current price for the Pulse and the Pulse will go up. £350 ish?

So if you want the Pulse i'd pick one up now if possible.

I've got the Pulse and find it easy to use and nice in the hand, had no problems with it, but a friend who's an instructor has the Tracker 2 and swears by it; fast search easy to use etc. I still prefer the Pulse as its smaller in the hand and still easy to use with gloves if needed, but if i had big plates of meat for hands i may prefer the Tracker. If you have a shortlist try and go to a shop and pick them, get a feel for them and if possible have a look or try the harness as well.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spud9, Probably both, I fancy a ski Tues eve and should be up Sat as well.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's very easy to get hung up on tranceivers.. make sure you can still afford an air bag. If I had the choice of taking one bit of kit, it wouldn't be a beeper..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I got a tracker 2 and a pieps dsp I bought with it so I could train regularly. Can heartily recommend either - especially the tracker for simplicity. One thing beyond products is to learn a bit about forecasting, various resources for this - think I published a link to an online course here a few years ago from the national avvy forecasters in glenmore lodge. To be honest, the time I spent learning a bit about it has benefitted me more than equipment. I can ski often enough that I can/tend to be generally pretty conservative about where I go and what I do based on the forecast/risk level. Forecasting is good enough and comprehensive enough these days that as long as you remain sensible you really shouldn't get caught out. (but far more sensible / knowledgeable folk than me have been caught and caught bigstyle, so make like the cubs)

Another often neglected point is the ability / physical fitness to dig like f*ck with sufficient accuracy, speed and care to get your oppo out if and when you do find him or her

Take it handy out there kids, and along with any safety kit you buy, throw a few quid at your nearest mountain rescue crew. Karma's as good as any gadgets
snow conditions
Spud9 , for occasional use a tracker 2 would be my vote, livetoski, has a great selection of packages and good knowledge.
ski holidays
skimottaret, after the InsideOut testing session, that would be my choice too - both the Tracker 2 and seeking livetoski's advice.
snow conditions
anarchicsaltire wrote:
Spud9, Probably both, I fancy a ski Tues eve and should be up Sat as well.

Great, maybe see you tonight, or if you don't make it I'll see you Saturday. Tracker 2 looks like it may be the way to go, or failing that, the Pulse.
snow conditions
tracker any day of the week for me, simple to use simples Toofy Grin
snow conditions
altis wrote:
http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/

Is very useful.

From the above link

Steve Achelis wrote:
All of the avalanche transceiver that are rated five stars (e.g., Ortovox 3+, Ortovox S1, Pieps DSP, Barryvox Pulse, and the Tracker2) are solid choices. Selecting from within that group should be based on how you will use the transceiver, the features that are import to you, and price.

Although I encourage you to purchase a transceiver that is rated five stars, the four star and three star transceivers are quite acceptable. The limitation of the four star transceivers is most of them do not handle spikes whereas the three star antennas typically require significantly more skill (i.e., practice).

More important than the model of transceiver you carry is that you learn how to use it and practice frequently. I would rather travel with a skilled rescuer wearing a lower-ranked beacon than with an unskilled rescuer wearing a higher-ranked beacon. Take an avalanche course, practice frequently, and don't get buried.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy