Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shin bang blisters! Ouch! :(

Poster: A snowHead
In re: waxing. That's for girls. Shave 'em like a man. And get better ski socks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
comprex,

I beg to differ. Shaving is for wusses! If you're a real man then prove it by bearing the pain of waxing!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
beanie1, the great advantage of being a man is having nothing to prove to anyone. Little Angel Cool
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gregh, if you are happy to put up with the discomfort and slower resolution then it is indeed safer to leave it alone as there is less chance of infection. Unless I was immunocompromised or it was in an area likely to get soiled, I'd create a dependent hole of sufficient size to remain open to ensure free drainage and keep it clean. It'll heal quicker and you'd get back to pain-free skiing quicker.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1, Yeah the liners are the ones with the tubes sticking out prior to foaming. I'm finding them very comfortable indeed barring this tongue rubbing my shins issue, and the control I have is far better than any other liner i've had in the past.

I think your right about getting my boots done out there in December and i'll just have to hobble along for now.
My problem is that all the boots i've tried till now, and there's been plenty, have either been too stiff, bad fit, combo of the two or have been fine in the shop only to stiffen up after a while sliding in the cold causing the plastic to become too stiff.
Its almost as if the manufacturers don't do a boot that's soft enough in flex for us flyweight guys.

Before I did some sessions with Warren Smith I would have been happy with the boots, but after being shown the benefit and need of good ankle flex during these sessions there's no way I would want to ski now with stiff boots holding my technique back from improving further.

I would go for a softer boot but the 1080 Salomon has the softest plastic of their mens boots so there's no room to go any softer with them.

The Atomic TX11 race boots are quite soft and I reckon would be ideal for me with these new liners. I just hope I can find a fix for the shin rubbing. I'll have a word with the bootfitter that did the liners tomorrow and see if I can get any ideas from them.

comprex, I'll have another look at WTFH's photo's. I may go over to the bootfitter tomorrow and will take that photo with me.
The other points you mention make me wonder if maybe my foot is not sitting centrally in the new liner. I'll take a photo in a minute and post it up. Would be grateful if you would give me your opinion. Thanks Smile
This ongoing cherade with my boots is turning into a mini adventure!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rockyrobin, try looking for a pair of the Rossignol soft boots, the Soft 3 (the one with the most flex) might suit you
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, Do you know what these are like to ski in? I just wonder if I would lose lateral stiffness with these softboots. My B2's are hard enough work on hardpack as it is. If I had any loss in lateral stiffness they'd be a nightmare.

These are what my liners look like looking down directly from above.

One thing I did notice just now is that when they did my boots last time it appears when reriveted the canting was set upright on the right hand boot which was the worst affected shin. I wonder if my bow legged stance could be part of the problem?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rockyrobin, I switched to a pair of Soft 1's this year, on me anything less stiff was like a walking boot, I have to say they were brilliant, I was using them with Head GSi skis and it was like skiing on rails, absolutely fantastic, surprisingly good lateral stiffness, it really helps having a great fit to the foot, I'd say that these boots have as good a fit as a pair of foamed boots I used to own but are much more comfortable to ski in
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf, That's very interesting to hear your experience with the soft boot.
I've just been reading over on epic about them but one or two people were questioning their durability.
With me hoping to spend 5 months skiing almost every day i'm concerned that they would not last the duration.
The only other option I have is perhaps an XWave 6. I think these are only available in the States but the flex index compared to what I have now sounds like they could be an ideal boot for me.

I'm not going to rush into another pair just yet as this is getting expensive as this would be my fourth pair of boots in a year! I'll wait till I get out to Verbier, take some lessons and get some feedback from my instructors on where I am and where i'm heading with my skill level before my next boot fitting session.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rockyrobin, well the soft 1's are leather and plastic, both have a history as being long lasting ski boot materials all be it not combined together.

To give credit where it is due the person at Ski Bartlett who fitted them really new what she was doing and spent over an hour getting the fit right in the middle of a busy ski show. I can't remember her name but she was either race trained or a race trained coach or trainer, she also sold me the skis and made sure I had sufficient experience to use them
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf, I had a look at the Soft 3's but just the sight of laces was enough to put me off. I cannot see them lasting 5 months. Yours look ideal but I bet they'd be too stiff for me Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rockyrobin, no soft 3's are the same as soft 1's it's the soft light boots that have laces and yes I'd be worried about life expectancy on those as well
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
D G Orf, Thanks, i'll mention these to the bootfitter when I ring him tomorrow as I know he stocks Rossignol.
I'm just wary of buying another pair, flexing them in the shop feeling they're nice and soft and then once they get on the slope and stiffen up i'm back to square one Sad
My 1080's feel really soft in the shop, softest boots ive tried so far. Get them in the snowdome for two years though and they go really stiff Sad
Did you notice this happening with your Soft 1's?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rockyrobin, no but I've only had them for 1 season and I've only used them for just over 2 weeks, however the weather was exceptionally cold which would normally stffen plastic boots a lot, the soft 1's stayed flexible, I'm not sure how they will last, I guess with seven weeks booked this season I'll find out wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
D G Orf, The lack of stiffening sounds encouraging. I'll keep an eye out on the forum for any comments you make on your soft boots over the coming winter. Our very own snowheads softboot guineapig snowHead
You sure you won't start to tire of Wengen after seven weeks? Wink
snow report
rockyrobin,
Quote:

You sure you won't start to tire of Wengen after seven weeks?
Well I've got Christmas, New Year, the Lauberhorn Race, a selection of DHO events and at least 2 friends birthdays to go to whilst I'm out there so I should stay entertained
ski holidays
D G Orf, Hehe, hope all that won't distract from the intended purpose of the trips. I know if I miss one day sliding I feel hard done by.
Look forward to seeing any photo's you take while on your trips. I cannot help but keep going back to that site with all the Wengen piccys you posted about a while ago. I never get tired of scenery like that so can appreciate your love for the place.
I'm puzzled though why you don't try and stay there though. I quite expect one day you to announce your going there for keeps snowHead
latest report
rockyrobin,
Quote:

I'm puzzled though why you don't try and stay there though. I quite expect one day you to announce your going there for keeps

It's entirely possible that one day I'll do exactly that wink

I never feel hard done by if I don't ski for a day, it's a holiday after all and I'm there to enjoy myself so why worry about racking up the km under the skis, I just go out for a walk or take some pictures or even ..... and I know this may shock people ...... go out and get some fresh hot jam donuts or a nice cake and pig out in front of the log fire in the hotel with a glass of something alcoholic Shocked
snow report
D G Orf, Please, no more, your killing me! Thats a very cruel description of whats in store for you enjoying yourself while were all waiting for Winter to arrive. I'm going to have to crack open a pack of ginger nuts now and devour the lot in one sitting to make myself feel better.
latest report
rockyrobin,

I had a BASI trainer who used soft boots with no problems. He also skied with the Scratch which is a fairly soft ski, but obviously he encountered no problems at all on ice on hardpack... It's all down to technique!
ski holidays
beanie1,
Quote:

It's all down to technique

Very true, whilst I can't say that I was skiing before I could walk, I could ski before I could swim and it now comes as second nature for me, although I wish I was as good a skier as I was aged 9 Sad Mind you well set up good equipment does help
ski holidays
I just got off the phone to the bootfitter and he offered me two tidbits of advice.
I've to shave my shins and then i've not to pull the shin of the liner up before closure but push it down instead.

We talked about the flex of the boot and he reckoned that if I soften any more i'll compromise the shell and the 1080 shell is the softest I will get in a decent performing boot and the stiffening is normal and will have to put up with it. With my height (5' 11") and weight (10 stone) I should have more than enough leverage for the flex needed.

I told him about my experience with my Warren Smith sessions and how good ankle flex is needed to be able to do the likes of brockage and one footed brockage slip turn exercises. He said it was my technique that needed improving and that I should be able to ski in really stiff boots if I had good enough technique.

I mentioned softboots but he told me that I would lose performance with those.

Sadly he was not open to suggestion at all varying from his view of what is right or wrong.

Maybe i'm being unfair to the guy but that goes against everything i've been told when doing the Warren Smith courses.

Looks like i'll be sticking to the kiddie boots till December then :/

Is golf any easier? Laughing
snow report
Get the wax out you wimps!! Even "wussy" footballers can take the pain!
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, Wax? Thats for ladies and wimps. Why not just grab the hair by hand and rip it out like plucking a chicken?
latest report
rockyrobin, Cos thats what Wax does silly! Why waste time doing it one by one?
latest report
Nadenoodlee, Hehe, I thought it would be easier to get that footballer shin pad look that way :cool: I was also thinking it would be hard to get a defined area done without it looking scruffy.
Can you recommend any particular wax for doing this?
snow conditions
rockyrobin, My beautician does mine, I would say if you're doing it yourself, TRIM your leg hair ( unless ur very brave) and use cold wax strips from Immac or Veet as its now known!
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, Thanks. Should be funny looking over the waxing gear in the supermarket this afternoon. I expect some puzzled glances Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rockyrobin, DONT WAX until the skin around the blister and the blister itself has healed! Otherwise you will see stars!!
ski holidays
rockyrobin, Pushing down the tongue of the liner as far as you can before doing up the shell, that's actually consistent with what we've discussed above.

I think you may be very near the point at which further boot work would violate warranties.

Can you say for sure that your heel doesn't move in the boot as you flex?
snow report
rockyrobin, go the whole hog while you're at it - back, sac and crack. You know you want to.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 5-08-05 13:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
richmond, He's going to need a lot of wax for that Shocked Still rockyrobin, most racing cyclists shave their legs, if you're in any doubt check Lance Armstrong's legs!
snow conditions
snowbunny, only roadies Twisted Evil
ski holidays
comprex, I've just tried my boot on and tried pushing the tongue and it does appear to make a difference. Now when i power forward onto the cuff there's no rubbing. I can also say for sure that my heel is not lifting. It feels like it does move up, but in the same way as you would imagine a suction cup being pulled, it trys to suck itself back down again.
One thing I did notice when looking over my boots last night was that the right hand canting adjuster had been set to upright, probably by mistake when the boots got re-riveted. Bearing in mind i'm supposedly slightly bow legged with a natural A-Frame, i'm wondering if this may have had any input as this was the same boot as my blistered shin. The other boot that was correctly canted only suffered redness.
I've also tried keeping the booster buckle clear of the void between the shell and liner, just sitting above instead. This has left a nice void for me to power into on the booster strap so that the shell comes into play much later in the forward motion.
Fingers crossed this may work this time.

richmond, You do know this is a family forum? Laughing I did wonder about being a wuss and doing just the whole legs. Would look kind of funny against the bum fluff but noone gets to see that so I don't mind.

snowbunny, I am a keen mountainbiker so I guess I can use that as an excuse. Still reckon the family are going to think something fishy is going on though. Laughing
latest report
richmond wrote:
rockyrobin, go the whole hog while you're at it - back, sac and crack. You know you want to.

Did anyone see a tv prog on this last year Shocked . Imagine being the beautician........ it would good on a CV
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I don't think I would like to imagine myself being the beautician, though being the recipient, hmmmm? Dunno which would gain the most attention of my thoughts, the pain or the attentions of the beautician Laughing I think if you went to a beautition and asked for all corners back and side they'd think you were some kind of Pseudo Masochistic Perv. I don't think you'd be getting an appointment anytime soon Laughing
latest report
rockyrobin, I would concentrate on the leg as you seam to be showing a little toooooo much interest on the darker sides exposed in this thread wink
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Only a healthy curiosity Wink
snow report
rockyrobin, Do you imagine that you would enjoy seeing life through a veil of tears then Very Happy
ski holidays
rockyrobin, I'm worried about you. Shocked

You'd cheerfully have the hairs ripped off your knackers, and other painfull areas, just to get some attention from the beautitian?

I like a man who would sink to those depths Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy