Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shin bang blisters! Ouch! :(

Poster: A snowHead
It appears I have been overdoing the sliding a bit as I woke up this morning to be greeted with some lovely blisters on my shins after yesterdays sliding Sad
I had two large baloons of liquid which I popped with a sterilised pin and have been easing the liquid out at regular intervals.
Its as if the skin had been rubbed away from the flesh and then the void has filled with liquid.

If any of you guys or ladies can recommend any ways to speed up the healing process be grateful for the advice.
I'm supposed to be sliding next Monday afternoon/evening so hope it won't prevent me from going.

Cheers,

Chris
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rockyrobin, I suffer endlessly with blisters, sensitive feet you know, I use Compeed ....I assume they'd be just as good for shins?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
vitamin E cream
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Germolene! Dont know if it works but I put it on everything and im lurgi free!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nadenoodlee, My dog loves that snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rockyrobin,
For treatment I would leave well alone other than popping them. For prevention avoid rubbing where possible and where not have a non irritant fabric that doesn't retain water next to your skin.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers guys, looks like i've got option overload! Laughing I do wonder if I should just do what T Bar said and ride it out? Maybe popping some Compeed on if not better by Monday?
Problem I have is as soon as i've popped and drained them they fill back up within a couple of hours! Would I be better off trying to tear the skin off thats forming the baloon to allow the underneath to weep freely and hopefully dry out and scab?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rockyrobin, that's what the compeed is good at, it protects and helps to dry up the weeping....don't pull of the skin whatever you do! Open's you up to infection and then you'll be in no end of trouble!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
homphomp, Where do you get your Compeed from? Can I get this from the likes of Tesco?

Problem I'm having is even though I tear a small hole in the bottom of the bags of discharge, they seem to dry over and fill up without weeping unless I get the pin to them regularly. Would putting a larger tear in be advisable or would I be asking for trouble?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is by far one of the most minging threads ever seen on snowheads. CALL NHS 24 DAMMIT!!! Razz
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Germolene! Dont know if it works but I put it on everything and im lurgi free!

That's obviously how you cope with the chicken donners; chili and germolene sauce.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nadenoodlee, Your too kind NehNeh If you would like, I can post piccys of puss filled bags to help improve the tone of this thread, perhaps I could manage some oozing too Laughing Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rockyrobin, Use Compeed for the healing process and get some wide-ish strips of latex foam to put under your sock against the shin to stop it happening again. I don't know where you get that from in the UK, but here we get it from the pharmacy & it's excellent. Can be re-used loads of times. Ours is about ¼ inch thick. Good luck - it's only pain!!! Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rockyrobin, make a bigger tear so that the fluiid drains down and out. Use a nonadherent plaster over the top part of it to try to get the skin to adhere again, so that it acts as an endogenous dressing, but don't occlude it. Keep dry and watch for infection (cloudy fluid, increasing redness and pain). If it gets infected go to the doctor.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rockyrobin, The last time I saw legs like that they had a message tied to them Laughing
latest report
richmond wrote:
That's obviously how you cope with the chicken donners; chili and germolene sauce.

I think I might be onto a winner there! Hmm now how about bongela-- mmm i could happily have tooth ache if i got to use that all the time.

Blisters are rancid- I had one post fag burn on my wrist and it was vile. If I wear flat shoes, I get them on my heels. I put germolene and a plaster on it an voila! Its healed enough for me to get my spray tan- hurrah. Germolene saves the day!
latest report
spyderjon, Hey, what are you trying to say about my legs! I think you better try and explain yourself Laughing

Nadenoodlee, The thought of you spraying tanning chemicals round your blisters makes me smile Laughing Twisted Evil If you ever use germolene on them I hope your dog hasn't been sniffing round any other dogs...... ahem, pop goes the weasel Laughing

slikedges, I've done the deed and drained and strapped them up with lint bandage like you said. Fingers crossed all will be well for Monday, cheers Smile

easiski, Thanks for the tip on using the styrofoam. We have some kicking about somewhere so will give that a try.
I've also been thinking that wearing thin liner socks under my wool socks may help too so will give that a try also.

I'm going to be such an unhappy chappy if I can't slide on Monday Sad Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
rockyrobin, i was sort of building up to this but i couldn't recommend that you ski on it for at least a couple of weeks. If your life depended on it though (like mine sometimes does), get some granuflex, duoderm or comfeel of a suitable size and protect the whole blister to prevent shearing. They're all hydrocolloid (I think) and will produce a gungy non-offensive slime over the wound which is quite normal, can be safely left for a few days (despite appearances) and will actually help healing of unprotected areas of tissue. If it smells offensive, is painful, red etc etc consider infection - always see a medic rather than take the risk if unsure.
ski holidays
Granuflex or Duoderm you may need to get on prescription, Comfeel you can buy over the counter.
(Rockinrobin, Pm me your address and I can send you some Duoderm)
snow report
Linds, none of them or indeed any dressings I know of are PoM (prescription only medications).
snow conditions
Linds, Thats a very kind offer, thanks. PM on its way soon. Hope I can reciprocate in some way.

slikedges, The more I think about not skiing next week, the more determined I am to go whatever it takes. My family reckon i'm a bit manic about skiing at the best of times so having a rest is not an option Very Happy
I'll make sure that noones looking when smelling round my ankles for fear of funny looks and fun making by the rest of the family Laughing
snow conditions
Shouldn't you just leave them alone and let your body heal itself? Aren't the blisters there for a reason?
snow report
beanie1, you could do. More painful, slower resolution but less chance of infection. The body's response to trauma or indeed any insult isn' t always helpful. Sometimes it's being a pain as it's simply trying to prevent you causing more damage. Sometimes it can't help it - large haematomas. Sometimes it over-reacts - excessive oedema, compartment syndrome, over-granulation, excessive bone callus etc. And not trauma related but look at the whole field of autoimmune and allergic disease.
snow report
Two comments,

Firstly you are treating the symptom, not the cause, you need to find out what is causing those blisters and fix it, so they don't re-occur. I used to have sore front shins, when I got new boots the guys at precision said the flex point in my old boots was at the wrong area, causing pressure in my shin, new boots that fitted solved the issue!

I also thought that you should leave well alone and not pop them. Just checked my medical book:

"new skin develops beneath the blister, the fluid is gradually absorbed, and the top layer of skin dries and peels away. If the skin is broken, or if the blistered site is likely to be damaged further, you should protect the area with a dry, sterile dressing. You should not prick a blister to release the fluid because the skin acts as a barrier against infection. If the blisters are filled with pus or you notice spreading redness in the surrounding skin consult your docter."

regards,

Greg
latest report
rockyrobin, What sliding were u doing to get leg blisters?

I have to have my spray tan otherwise i'll be the palest person at the wedding! - these are Glaswegians after all!
snow report
A good leg wax, and then rub 3 times a day with surgical spirit.
ski holidays
rockyrobin, a freind of my brothers has similar problems with his legs. One year at St Anton he was talking to the Hotel owner, an ex World Cup racer himself, and found it was a very common problem.

This lead my brothers mate to develop a very thin sheet of polymer that sticks onto your shins (sort of armoured skin) to protect the skin and blisters while you ski. If you go on Monday I'll try and find the sample he gave me and you can try it out.

Oh, if I had legs like those I wouldn't post them for the world to see either Laughing
latest report
gregh, Funny you should mention boots. I went into my local shop yesterday and the guy in there said that some Salomon boots had flex problems. I have a pair of kids race boots that the shells were the right size but the liners didn't suit me so I relegated them to the wardrobe. He recommended I try my foam liners in the these kids boots as they should have a more even progressive flex, and when I got home this did bear out. So fingers crossed next slide time will see if the kiddies boots do the trick.
With the Salomons it appears that if you try to have the top buckles even moderately tight as you should then the front cuffs have pulled together making the clearance between upper and lower front shell too tight and so stiffening the boots.
The only way round this was to have a booster strap fitted, foamed liners, and wear them with buckles lightly snapped shut and have the booster strap nice and tight inside the shell so that it was used to pull the spine forward instead of relying on the front of the cuffs to pull. This seemed to work but was allowing my shins to slide up and down the tongue of the liner, so when really powering the cuffs while trying to push skis that were too stiff for me I was making me some blisters Sad

I guess your right about leaving well alone but they were getting so bloated with fluid it was like having a couple of little baloons on my legs. It would have only been a matter of time before they got knocked and burst anyway.

Nadenoodlee, I think the sliding that caused it was my comical attempt at demoing some Metron B5's which I clearly did not have a good enough technique to deal with due to my lack of body weight combined with my quirky boots. I spent all evening powering the cuffs of my boots in an attempt to get them to come alive for me. Yesterday when I was back on my little skis was just icing on the cake for the blisters as my shins were already red and I ignored them and now am paying the price of stupidity I guess Sad

You go careful with that spray tan. We don't want you going to that wedding looking like a well cooked Wall's Pork Sausage! Laughing Shouldn't worry about being pale skinned, some of us guys do like women with pale skin you know and i'm sure you'll look great regardless.

Frosty the Snowman, Are you saying that waxing the area of the shins would help prevent this reoccuring?
I'd have to do the whole legs...... and then probably other areas to not look funny. Could be quite a chore. I hope your kidding Wink
I don't think I could live with smooth shiny legs like your suggesting. I think my friends would think there's something funny going on Laughing

marc gledhill, Thanks for the kind offer to help me out with some plastic skin. Sounds like it would be ideal.
You been talking to Spyderjon, what are you trying to say about my legs? Evil or Very Mad Laughing You feel I should be hiding them from view or something?
Look forward to seeing you on Monday so I can tackle you about making fun of my legs Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rockyrobin, Thank you, have tried and tested this spray tan and its ace! so im quite looking forward to it! I have a peach coloured frock so if im not tanned i'll look awful especially as bf has just come back from Milan and is golden brown ( git). Pale = ill looking
ski holidays
rockyrobin, He's not kidding - I've know quite a few men who do this. Less hair = less rubbing possibility. Surgical spirit helps to harden the skin in question, but neither of these should be attempted with open blisters!! (ouch!!)

Seriously, sore shins are a very common problem, and may be one reason why so many holliday skiers lean back. I find that the "mousse" (latex foam as previously mentioned) really does help a great many people. It's prevention though, not cure. slikedges, or Linds might be able to tell us if it's available in the UK and if so what it's called. (It's a very soft, dense latex foam about ¼in thick)

If you need some sent from here let me know. Very Happy
latest report
rockyrobin, I wasnt totally serious, but the remedy suggested would toughen the skin. As easiski, suggests, this shouldnt be attempted by shandy drinking southerners , but Im sure a West Yorkshire lad would have nay trouble. For foot and anle blisters I/We have found antiseptic spray (applied and left to dry), followed by a "second skin" blister plaster to work very well. My eldest had a pearler on his ankle due to his blase attitude at the bootfitting session, we followed the above proceedure and he was fine.

Were you using your usual boots?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, You weren't serious but I am! If that is what it takes for me to save myself from blisters i'd be tempted to do it. Perhaps just waxing the affected area and not the whole leg would be a good compromise and be easier to explain Laughing I've already been getting it in the neck about ladies skis, smooth legs could be taking it too far.

Yeah, I was using my normal shells, just with new foamed liners and a booster strap. Made the boots peform better but not good for my shins. The liners are those "Conformable" ones. They have a funny hexagonal weave to the interior finish and it is this that appears to be causing the problem. If the Atomic TX11 kiddies boots work out next week I may have a look at this years Atomic kids racing boots with the foamed liners and see if they may be any better.

easiski, These guys you know who wax their legs - do they find walking about in shorts in summer brings them funny looks or unwanted attention? Laughing

Cheers for the offer of the latex foam. If I cannot find the stuff we had kicking about the house i'll give you a shout, thanks Smile

The idea of back seat riders having sore shins makes sense as long as they have been riding their cuffs at some point to get that way. Now I know what to use as an excuse when i'm being told off for being in the back seat Laughing
Hehe, its always nice to use my gear as an excuse for my bad technique Toofy Grin

Nadenoodle, If you really want to get your boyfriend jealous you could always tan your face while wearing goggles for the panda look and refuse to explain where you've been and how you got the tan snowHead
Hope you enjoy the wedding. Is it you that's getting married?
snow conditions
rockyrobin, Hell no!! Im only 22! - and I have a few more years before I have to get shacked up/broke/ miserable/divorced etc

The wedding should be good, my weegie friends can pack away the booze like nobody's business!
snow report
rockyrobin, The guys I know who do it have two different attitudes: 1] wax the whole of the legs, which a lot of ladies like (smooooooth) or 2] only wax the shin on the boot area and wear long socks. If you ski enough you'll probably get quite hairless on the shins anyway. ps: it's not really a valid excuse - I send them off the buy mousse and then have no sympathy ("it''s only pain"). Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, Your only 22, do weegie and pack away booze with your mates! Hehe, your boyfriend has my sympathy! Laughing You pack it away and enjoy yourself while you can! Very Happy

easiski, I think i'll try to get opinions from multiple sources on this leg waxing mullarky. If I do it I won't be telling anyone or the guys I know on here that I ski with will be pulling my leg no end. No rush, so could wait till the weather for shorts is gone then consider it again. One things for sure, I won't be asking for advice on how best to wax my legs on here! Laughing

You should really try to be understanding with us guys. We have feelings too you know Wink
latest report
rockyrobin, Weegie- as in Glaswegian. I stick to the pinot grigio and smirnoff ices!
snow report
Nadenoodlee, Hehe, I had visions of a group of gassed up young ladies flinging an upturned glass round a table while giggling hysterically Laughing
If anyone would care to take the thicky batton from me your more than welcome to it.
latest report
Weegie - not to be confused with wedgie! Shock
ski holidays
rockyrobin wrote:
gregh, Funny you should mention boots. I went into my local shop yesterday and the guy in there said that some Salomon boots had flex problems. I have a pair of kids race boots that the shells were the right size but the liners didn't suit me so I relegated them to the wardrobe. He recommended I try my foam liners in the these kids boots as they should have a more even progressive flex, and when I got home this did bear out. So fingers crossed next slide time will see if the kiddies boots do the trick.

I was wondering when you'd get around to trying that.
Quote:

With the Salomons it appears that if you try to have the top buckles even moderately tight as you should then the front cuffs have pulled together making the clearance between upper and lower front shell too tight and so stiffening the boots.

Take another look at WTFH's Tecnica pic. I've only 30mins specific experience with the 1080 boot, but the mod WTFH posted certainly worked for bolide's XWave 9Ws.

Quote:

The only way round this was to have a booster strap fitted, foamed liners, and wear them with buckles lightly snapped shut and have the booster strap nice and tight inside the shell so that it was used to pull the spine forward instead of relying on the front of the cuffs to pull. This seemed to work but was allowing my shins to slide up and down the tongue of the liner, so when really powering the cuffs while trying to push skis that were too stiff for me I was making me some blisters Sad

Sounds like something else is amiss. For whatever reason, the tongue of the liner isn't pivoting on the same axis your ankle is.

I'd be tempted to really have a look at: the instep buckle, the arch support esp. around the heel, and possibly the fit of the liner around the Achilles tendon area.
snow report
rockyrobin,

If I were you I'd go back to your bootfitter. A bit of minor shin soreness you can put up with, but if your boots are causing you blisters like that there's no way you'll be skiing all day everyday in Verbier!

Maybe I'm wrong, but I was told that foam injected liners (the ones that have all the tubes hanging out of them before they're fitted - is this what you have?) are pretty hard, uncomfotable and not really designed for skiing all day, everyday - they're designed for racers who need a lot of precision. Ditto race boots.

Perhaps you should be going for something softer, and have the whole lot fitted from scratch rather than getting new liners for old shells etc.?

A number of people have told me that Precision in Val d'Isere and Footworks in Cham are the 2 best bootfitters in the Alps (purely subjective, of course!), so maybe it would be worth a weekend trip to one when you first head out to Verbier? I got my boots fitted at Footworks (travelled from Pila especially, although admittedly only 2 hours on the bus) and would thoroughly recommend them. Had to go back to have minor alterations after a couple of weeks and they were more than happy to help. Boots are expensive, but you don't want them to ruin your season.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 4-08-05 19:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy