Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet cams are they a 5 minute wonder

Poster: A snowHead
I have been thinking of buying a helmet cam. But do you get board of them and if you get the skiing video out with your friends do they suddenly need to go home Puzzled
snow report
 cran
cran
You can use them for mountain biking and driving and other things as well as ski video, maybe even some POV sex videos (might be a bit off putting if you have a helmet or goggle mounting but give it a go...)

probably best not to get the video's out when you have friends round.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glen Charman wrote:
......helmet cam......5 minute wonder........

cran wrote:
........ maybe even some POV sex videos......

chortle chortle.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rogg, Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cran wrote:
ski video, maybe even some POV sex videos (might be a bit off putting if you have a helmet or goggle mounting but give it a go...)

I think I’ll be in the divorce court if suggested that rolling eyes Very Happy Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's like any other video - it is all about the editing. They can add some great footage to a holiday video but seeing an entire run from a headcam is usually rather dull (some obvious exceptions have been posted here before).

I take a lot of video footage when skiing with my mates but 3 hours of footage over a week usually edits down to about 6 minutes of watchable film.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
horizon did this rather good one on one of our holidays in Montgenevre editing together all the crashes: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62914 . I think the headcam works especially well (as here) following someone, especially in trees where you have more reference points:

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 9-08-11 17:11; edited 5 times in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've got one and use it occasionally. It does work best, as snowball said, when you have a reference point such as trees or following/being followed closely by another skier. On the days when I use the helmet cam I take a lot of footage and then edit it to a few minutes. Works OK for me like this, with occasional use rather than every day. Using it constantly would get tedious pretty quickly, but when the conditions are right it can be great to get decent footage of what skiing is all about (much better than photos).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For real value you need to be doing something interesting, trees, chutes etc with some definition. Turn left, turn right on a piste gets pretty boring pretty quickly POV. Alternately you need to be doing follow cam in which case you need to be good to keep up and keep your head directed at the subject.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, do you dump the video off the card every night, which means taking a laptop with you?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, yes, but I take a laptop with me anyway. If you didn't want to do that you could stock up on memory cards as they are fairly cheap these days.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cheers, how many hours of video do the cards hold?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, depends on the setting you use (1080, 720, etc) but I work on the basis of about 30m per GB.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob wrote:
For real value you need to be doing something interesting, trees, chutes etc with some definition. Turn left, turn right on a piste gets pretty boring pretty quickly POV. Alternately you need to be doing follow cam in which case you need to be good to keep up and keep your head directed at the subject.

Not necessarily. Having a video cam going all the time means you're less likely to miss anything that would later be rather amusing. Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I bought a cheap-ish one from ebay (about £40)... Stopped working when it was too cold...!
latest report
Been using helmet cam since about 2003, so 5 minute wonder? No. Great for filming your own run, but better for filming other people skiing/riding.
2 notes of caution.

It will take that brilliant memory you have of hooning down the hill on the ragged edge, showing all and sundry those Skillz-dat-pay-billz and shine a Very bright and harsh light on them till you'll you'll be asking "Why is someone not helping this poor, fat old gentleman off the mountain and back the care home he so desparately needs?

Nothing will make your friends flee from your home faster than you saying 'hey wanna see the footage of me skiing?' - Judiciously edit everything you shoot down to two cuts, one for your non skiing friends, who are only interested in either tricks (and they'll be other peoples - any trick filmed from your perspecting will look like you almost falling over), or your falling over, and the falling over will win everytime.
The second cut will be for yourself and be much longer, which you could show to your ski buddies who will mercilessly mock you for the reasons laid out in note 1.

I say go for it though, you never know you may end up with enough footage on ‘You’ve Been Framed’ to pay for your next trip.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Been using helmet cam since about 2003...

Good grief, how big was the thing back in those days?
snow conditions
Zero-G, the camera itself is very small, about 2/3 inches long and the about the diameter of a tube of smarties. It’s a remote analogue feed camera going back into a sony camcorder tucked in my backpack so actually. Rigging yourself up can be a bit of a faff compared to the new digital point-n-go jobbies, but the image quality is not far off that of the camcorder itself, and the minicam itself is pretty much bulletproof fully watertight, has performed perfectly in temps down to about -25 and it's captured my extensive 'blooper reel moments' flawlessly Embarassed .

But all things must pass and am thinking on an upgrade next season though... Those new HD Contour range are calling to me...
snow report
Thanks for all the replies some very interesting points.
If I can get one at the right price I may well go for it. I,ve seen HD 1080 for £149.00 on Amazon
snow conditions
i have gopro HD, its brilliant, im actually getting another one in the next week or 2. It is ALL in the editing. noone wants to see 10min video of you going down a slope. Now im clearly no pro (at skiing or shooting) but you can bear it, check out 2 of mine i made. all shot on gopro HD and edited in final cut and adobe premiere . first one is ok, i like the second one better, hopefully film 3 will be even better!

http://youtube.com/v/oLcP7mucm0I

http://youtube.com/v/soXnk0dSCvI
snow report
i have a Drift x170, and so some mates so we have great fun and especially to see your mates doing 'the walk of shame' or seeing the young kids hooning around. have had lots of fun sat round with beers watching later on.
latest report
I'd get one but I don't think anyone would be interested in a serious of clips demonstrating my inability to stay upright for more than a couple of minutes Smile
ski holidays
Togger wrote:
but you can bear it, check out 2 of mine i made. all shot on gopro HD and edited in final cut and adobe premiere .

Well done for being brave enough to post those, not that there is anything wrong with either your skiing or shooting.
ski holidays
Glen Charman wrote:
cran wrote:
ski video, maybe even some POV sex videos (might be a bit off putting if you have a helmet or goggle mounting but give it a go...)

I think I’ll be in the divorce court if suggested that rolling eyes Very Happy Toofy Grin

just don't tell the missus Happy
latest report
has to be a GoPro. I watched the promo video and had to go and buy one. Made loads of short movies and the accessories are totally geared towards extreme sports

Check out the promo video and i bet you will want one!

http://youtube.com/v/yo3M6EB8kmk
ski holidays
Just got a GoPro 960 myself. Shoots a wider angle than the more expensive 1080. The versatility of it is incredible compared to other less 'special' looking devices. I've currently got it mounted on the seatpost pointing back up the trail. More interesting POV than looking ahead and just seeing someone's back bottom. I can't wait to use it in the winter
latest report
Togger, your vids just loaded - awesome. Pianjoo - tune Cool

Did you try attaching the unit to the tip of one ski, looking back? There's a great bit of footage on the GoPro website using that POV
latest report
I've done a good few 'Quiver Killer' inserts to the tips of skis & a couple of pole inserts for camera mounting. Just waiting for the first request to put the inserts in to a helmet - but if you sign a disclaimer I'm game Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Everyones raving about GoPros and for a very good reason, they are bloody awsome.

But having used a few here and there, I dont really advise purchasing them (especially the really expensive ones) unless your going to do something inspiring with it and would be able to edit and share them with people (and snowheads) to boast about how good a skier/boarder you are.

If you are the type that would use one to film day-to-day sports with nothing particularly interesting and then only go home and watch the raw file on your pc and thats it. Then it becomes a 5 minute wonder boys toy.

Should be getting my own GoPro soon, I really cant wait.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy