Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need help organising christmas skiing!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

Im after a bit of advise for christmas this year. My partner and i are really keen to have a white christmas, with lots of skiing and boarding. Neither of us has done alot of travel throughout europe, so are not at all sure where is good to go for snow, (a few other threads on this site have given some good advice). But more importantly, it will be our first christmas away from our fanilies, so we wanted to go somewhere that had alot of christmas atmosphere, and friendly people for us to meet. If anyone could offer some good advice/links on any packages, or resorts that might be good, i would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Also, we are currently living in London, and need to buy some ski clothes, any hot tips on where is good and cheap?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Kelly, and welcome to snowHeads, if you must go skiing for Christmas look for resorts with plenty of altitude, as Christmas is early in the season and snowfall can be tempermental, I'm going to Wengen in Switzerland but it's a huge gamble on my part as it's relatively low, on the other hand it's a beautiful resort to be in for Christmas and New Year with plenty of atmosphere and I have friends there so if the snow's bad I will at least have company.

As for places to shop I'm afraid the few places I know in London are far from cheap, however in the middle of October there's the Daily Mail Ski and Snowboard show where there will I'm sure be lots of stands and you may find a few bargins
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi there,

In typical travel agent stylee, you're going to need to narrow it down abit. So heres a few questions, then im sure everyone will be able to put forward ideas to you.
So ....

1) budget
2) What standard are you both
3) do you want lots of varied apres ski or just happy with a few bars?
4) Self catering/chalet or hotel
5) whats the most important aspect of your trip?
6) Country?

Im sure someone will know the ideal place for you!! snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kelly, Nadenoodlee's right....answer her excellent list of questions and you'll get a flood of replies!

As for bargain kit....last year Aldi's and Tchibo were both doing a pretty good range of ski wear last year which was really good value - if you don't want brand names! I'd guess they'll be bringing out a new range this year as it seemed to sell like hot cakes! Otherwise, get yourself down to the ski show and pick up last years ranges at really good prices.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NADENOODLEE,

Quote:

1) budget
2) What standard are you both
3) do you want lots of varied apres ski or just happy with a few bars?
4) Self catering/chalet or hotel
5) whats the most important aspect of your trip?
6) Country?

1.probably around £500 each, is that fair??
2.beginner/intermediate
3. not too fussy
4. chalet i think
5. meet some nice people, we are both mid 20's, and like to have a bit of fun and a few quiet (sometimes not so quiet) drinks, that said we are going to ski not get smashed 24/7, we would really like to go somewhere where there is heaps of christmas atmosphere and friendly people, and some good skiing of course
6. Switzerland or Austria, but not fussy

wow so much feed back already, thanks guys
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kelly, is that £500 each to include everything or just flights and accomodation ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was looking at some packages on the net that were already booked out, and that was for accomodation, meals and transfers etc, but not flights, i dont know if that is reasonable, we arent going to skint on the trip, but we arent going to go 5 star either. We are open to all suggestions i spose
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kelly, you should consider the Club Chalet / Club Hotel type of tour operator holiday. I'm assuming you are looking at a package deal rather than DIY. Check out Crystal or Neilsons or Inghams. Should cater for the friendly people aspect and they are at the lower end of the budget and tend to have a young(ish) crowd. Wine and beer often included. I have to say however that for Xmas week with a T.O. and including lift pass and gear hire you are going to be very lucky to get within £500. You might get the flight and accommodation at that price.
Late availability allows you to wait and see where the snow is best - - - but is risky for Xmas which tends to get booked up well in advance.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kelly, if you are willing to take a slight risk on the snow, the hotel I'll be staying in (The Alpenrose in Wengen) could probably do you a good deal for Christmas so long as you are willing to leave no later than the 27th of December because they're fully booked for New Years, 7 nights half board (dinner bed and breakfast) accomodation in a 3 star hotel with 6 days ski pass included for arround £525 per person, it's a nice location and a good hotel, you'd need to arrange flights and transfers but that should not be a problem as it's Switzerland PM me for more info on the area or hotel etc.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf, Wengen again, honestly... Laughing
Kelly, Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
Me and my family spent Christmas day and the week before in La Clusaz, it was snowing as we drove into the resort. There's tonnes of stuff going on in the evenings. I've met/heard quite a few English people there, and the locals/French are great too.
see www.laclusaz.com
Happy holidays
julia
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kelly, for clothing, keep an eye on Aldi, Lidl and Tchibo at Safeway they all do middle of the road quality kit at very good prices . . but you have to be there when they're being stocked 'cos it moved out thedoor quickly.
For wicking t'shirts, Matelan (4Squid) booring colour but a perfect base layer.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, good point. I got some ace ski salopettes from Aldi, and the jackets looked nice as well.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kelly, Welcome to Snowheads !!

If you are thinking about Wengen but worried about the level of the village (1274m) may i suggest the opposite resort,Murren at 1650m. You can stay at the Edelweiss 3 star hotel,halfboard basis(Very good buffet breakfast and 3-4 course dinner) in a double room and have bath or shower, wc, hairdryer, safe, telephone, radio & satellite TV. South-facing rooms enjoy fabulous views over the valley and onto the mountains.Plus only a 5 minute walk to the lift. The price also includes direct flight from Gatwick to Berne, and the t/fer by coach. Price per person £535 (if booked on the web) More info see http://www.inghams.co.uk/ski/SWI/MUR/I6031/index.html#

That is just one example,you can pay less or money depending on your budget.

Visit : http://www.wengen-muerren.ch/index.php?id=44&lang=en

Ps.visit the link below ' My Photo Gallery' to view pictures on Murren
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Brookes, somehow I knew after I posted that you'd manage to get Murren in Laughing

Seriously Kelly, Murren could be a good choice, though Wengen has more beginner and intermediate runs easily accesible to it, Murren does normally get more snow due to its extra altitude
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
D G Orf, you know me wink

Murren has 53km of prepared slopes with 12 installations..enough to keep you busy in a week !
ski holidays
If you're in London, keep an eye out too for the Ellis Brigham pre-season clearance, usually held at the Horticultural Hall. Not sure how you can find out when it'll be, other than watching for press ads though.
latest report
Okanagan wrote:
Not sure how you can find out when it'll be, other than watching for press ads though.

Why just keep an eye on snowHeads....Admin always knows about these things! Smile
snow conditions
You can call Ellis Brigham for the dates, usually around the 3rd week of Sept, they are also held oop north and I believe EB may have a discount outlet at one of their stores in Wales.
snow conditions
thanks for all the hot tips guys. Looks like we will be booking with morealps.com, their package looks really good, and the guy i spoke to sounds really nice. Thanks again!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy