Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter season in either St. Anton, Mayrhofen or Kitzbuhel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Im looking for advice on where to try and find work and accommodation for the 2011/2012 winter season. I have decided on Austria and after spending hours upon hours researching on the internet, I have narrowed it down to the resorts of either St. Anton, Mayrhofen or Kitzbuhel.
I have previously spent 3 winter seasons snowboarding in Canada and looking for a change. Im a female Aussie solo traveller who enjoys meeting new people, so a village that will allow for that. Along with a resort that has a lot of variety of runs so that I will never get bored Smile as I love to be on the hill everyday if I can. I would also like a resort that will challenge my ability as well. I tend to stick to the Canadian blue runs and occasionly the black ones.
If anyone would be able to help and steer me to one of those resort that would be greatly appreciated as it is hard to decided over the internet as they all sound great.

Cheers,

Karleigh
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could add Saalbach to your list. It is quite big for Austria (200km) and lots of going on in the evenings. Nice international crowd etc.

Mayrhofen should be a good bet as well, there are more resorts in this valley on the same ski pass (around 700km I guess) - short bus/train rider away and the glacier nearby. Good apres and nightlife and should be a bit cheaper than other places.

St Anton is amazing with more difficult terrain and lots of off piste.

Never been but for some reason Kitzbuhel won't be on my list. At least definitely not before the other places.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tom W wrote:
Never been but for some reason Kitzbuhel won't be on my list. At least definitely not before the other places.

Confused but you haven't been there! I would definitely say Kitzbuhel would be a great place for a season - a lovely town with a real medieval walled centre. Lots going on, good train links to elsewhere (you can so easily get to Zell am See for example) and a very large skiing area, if you include the links to the Ski Welt area.

Oh and welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In your position I'd go for Mayerhofen (or Saalbach) - skiing not too difficult but terrain there for when you improve. Mayerhofen also has a glacier nearby (Hintertux).

St Anton is expensive but if you are only going to do one season in Europe and your plan is to ski as much as possible and improve your technique then this would be a great choice.

Kitzbühel is a quaint village but most of the poeple in ski resorts are tourists passing through - you are likely to make friends with fellow workers which will be similar in any of the three resorts. Kitz is low and the least snow secure of the three.

(I live in Austria and have skied all three resorts.)

Jobs for Ski resort workers ............
http://jobs.natives.co.uk/job_seeker/login.php
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
St Anton is the best resort that I've skied (and I've skied quite a few in Austria), but the main attraction of the skiing is the offpiste, so maybe not right for you. Great place for a season though (I had the time of my life when I did one there), great apres, lively village, lots of cool people. If it's of any consideration, when I was there my Aussie mate managed to find plenty of 'black work' (ie no visa, so technically illegal).

I love Saalbach, and work there in some of my uni holidays each year. It sounds like it would be better suited to your level of skiing, with a large varied and interesting piste network, with some plenty of easy and safe offpiste too (I haven't explored as much as I would like to there, there might well be more gnarly offpiste that I'm not aware of, but it's not in the same league offpiste-wise as St Anton). Cool friendly and lively village too, bit smaller so it's easier to get to know other seasonnaires (and bar staff, which is obv important). Most of the seasonnaires seem to be Skandis (mainly Danish) or Dutch, but I haven't met a worker yet who doesn't speak good English, and as the common language it is often spoken. Fair bit cheaper than St Anton too.

I haven't skied Mayrhofen, but it's currently where I plan on doing my next season (going into my last year at uni now).

I've only skied in Kitzbuehel for one week, but it didn't really do it for me. Don't know why, as there is plenty of good skiing, both on and offpiste (although the off mostly seems to be at the mellower end of the scale), and we had fresh snow. I just didn't really click with it for some reason, although I'd love to see the Hahnenkamm race there.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 6-08-11 8:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
St Anton.

Ditch the rest. They are gash.

Enjoy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Re. Work?

I presume you have a dual passport (Oz & EU)?

Dont want to spoil you plans...

You will find it near on impossible to find work without an EU Passport in Austria and especially St Anton
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you to everyone who posted their opions and experiences. It was all greatly appreciated and has given me something to really think about now and to start my planning. Sounds like I should look into Saalbach according to a few people. Actually the more I read, the more inclinded to think that I will probably spend a few seasons there, moving around to a few couple of resort. About the visa, dont worry I do have a dual OZ/EU passport thanks to my dad.

Once again thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I cant wait to get to Austria. It can not come fast enough!

Cheers,

Karleigh
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy