Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend a ladies early intermediate ski

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

My gf is looking to buy her first pair of skis (hiring before). We'll pop into the Blues sale tomorrow, but will only buy if we find something we like/know about. Possibly Ellis Brigham on line too. Hopefully will only need to spend about £200.

She's done 10-15 days skiing including 6 days in Tignes earlier in the year, is parallel and comfy on reds but has yet to do a black. She's 5'10 (1.77m) and maybe 75kg (athletic rather than pudgy!).

I suppose she is an early intermediate, so we'd be looking for an on piste ski that's light to turn.

We had looked at Atomic Koa 78, are they any good? Any other recommendations?

Also, she's been using 160s and that has seemed ok - does that sound too short?

thanks v much for any thoughts!

Andy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
koa 78s would work well. ive got them and love them. Only thing they arent perfect for is high speed straight lineing, although ive had them up to 40mph they were beginning to skitter) as they are pretty shaped. Anything else including easy cruising, moguls, easy off piste they are great. 160 sounds a wee bitty short. Im 159 and 51kg and have the 150s, but i cant remembr the size intervals.
PS has she got some good boots - much higher priority than buying skis!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers fluffy.

Yeah, she got good pair of Salomen Devine RS boots last year.

Any other ski recommendations would be most welcome.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dynastar exclusive range - try active
rossignol harmony range - try maybe 2
you really cant go far wrong if it is promoted as an intermediate and is a mainstream company, although from personal experience i would avoid K2s ive had soem nasty shocks with those and they tend to be heavy by your OH sounds more athletically built than me so maybe would feel the weight so much. just dont get anything too stiff (compare the ones in the shop and dont get the stiff end of the range)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cheers fluff! Smile Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Andythejock wrote:
......She's 5'10 (1.77m) and maybe 75kg (athletic rather than pudgy!).....

This thread is useless without pictures wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dynastar's Exclusive and K2's RX are worth considering. My wife has the Dynastar and she loves them.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Are the Exclusives an advanced ski or will they be fine for someone with 15 days skiing behind them?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon wrote:
Andythejock wrote:
......She's 5'10 (1.77m) and maybe 75kg (athletic rather than pudgy!).....

This thread is useless without pictures wink

She won't let me! She's a rather bonnie Aussie though! wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Was thinking tht the ski length of 160 for a 177 girl isn't too far off - I'm 6'2" (188) and ski 171s, about a week more experience than Ms Jock.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Andythejock, there are different sorts of Exclusive - it's worth looking at the Dynastar website, they describe all the models in detail, and the sort of skiing/skier they are designed for.
http://www.dynastar.com/US/US/dynastar-skis-women.html
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Go the Xscape in Glasgow and try a few at the snowdome, Ellis Brigham let you try a few for free if you can be bothered going back to the shop to switch out. Try unisex ones as well, she's a similar size to me and I've only ever liked a few women's specific skis and try a few sizes, again I prefer about 170cm for a piste ski unless it's a superstiff one, then I'd ski 160cm. Even as an early intermediate she will be surprised at the differences she can notice between skis.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We went to the Blues sale and bought some Fischer Koa 75s.

She even persuaded me to get my first helmet after 3 seasons without - a half price VS.

Quick straw poll amongst Snowheads - who wears a helmet and who doesn't and why?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Andythejock,
Quote:

who wears a helmet and who doesn't and why?
If you search against 'helmet' and even if you tick just the 'thread title' box, you'll come up with enough reading to keep you quiet for a while. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/search.php?mode=results
If you expand the search further to include references in the body of thread texts, you can have even more 'fun'.
Happy reading!
Glad your wife found skis. Hope she likes them when she actually skis on them. (I personally wouldn't now buy skis without testing them first.)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hope she enjoys them!
latest report
bitoffluff wrote:
hope she enjoys them!

Cheers fluff! Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy