Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Remote bucket lift develops speed-dating concept

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone identify this rare and distinctive ski lift?

Captions also welcome, e.g. "We can't go on meeting like this, darling"
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't identify the lift but it looks as if it was built by prisoners of war following Hitler's invasion of Yugoslavia. Maybe someone can throw some light on this.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
there is one of those in Alagna, but the tower is taller than the one in that pic....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Perhaps DGO and Pollittcl should try it out! wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IncogSkiSno, for that to occur we would at least have to be on the same continent Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
... and in the same bucket.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
P.S. we may be making assumptions here. There may be only one person in the bucket.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just checked in photoshop, definately two people but with near matching outfits, smaller person at the front has white hat on and has both gloved hands on gate at front, taller person behind has right hand near face either adjusting sunglasses or possibly holding small camera, two pairs of skis in holder on left of bucket one with red top sheet the other with a very pale colour possibly cream or pale yellow
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There used to be a lift rather like this in Meribel (15+ years ago), I think going from somewhere in town (1600m? 1400m?) to the Altiport, but I could be wrong. They had roofs, I think, and were known (by me if no-one else) as 'flying urinals'. There's something similar between two levels in Flaine, I think, and also at Panorama, BC, also between two levels of the 'village'.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
richmond, Definately one in Flaine, I went on the stupid thing in March this year!! Laughing

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 3-08-05 11:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't advise you to pee in them because it rusts the floor and you fall out.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith wrote:
I don't advise you to pee in them because it rusts the floor and you fall out.

The rust occurs that quickly?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It depends. If it's French it may have a hole in the floor already.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd bet on it being somewhere in Eastern Europe - there are several odball ones around there. Haven't found that particular one yet, but does
this -still to be found operating in the Czech republic - look familiar to any Socttish skiing aficionados?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Okanagan, I don't know about scottish skiers but it does look a lot like the old First chairlift, subsequently replaced with a gondola, I've no idea what they did with the old chairlift
snow conditions
<anorak mode> Both the old First chairlift in Grindelwald, and the old Cairngorm chairlift (now both rusting in piste) were built by a Swiss company called Mueller. As far as I know they are the only people to have made sideways-on chairlifts, so maybe the above is another Mueller classic. </anorak mode>

Now, back to

bucket lifts

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 3-08-05 12:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Oh my gosh, that looks so scary to be standing!!
latest report
the standing isn't the scary bit Robbie, assuming they are all like the one in Alagna, the scary bit is getting in, as it doesn't stop! So you have to half jog along jump in carrying skis etc and then close the gate Wink
latest report
gregh, I'm 99% certain it is the one in Alagna. Being replaced this year, I believe Sad
snow report
Robbie wrote:
Oh my gosh, that looks so scary to be standing!!

He's OK, he's not going skiing - he's just fixing the gutter.
snow report
There is a bucket style lift going down from Plan Peisey (very near the Vanoise Express terminal) I think to Nancroix. The buckets travel in groups of 6 and the 'gates' are automatic.
snow conditions
The problem with riding in them is you look like
snow report
hi Arno,

looking at it again, I reckon your right, it's the angle of the pic makes the tower look small.

This is the "unloading" end...

regards,

greg
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, I believe that czech lift was manufactured by von Roll - but I could be wrong
latest report
That's really interesting [anorak on again]. Those photos may confirm it.

What those sideways-on chairlifts have in common is that I think they were the first detachable chairs of all - they had to slow to virtually stationary for people to get on and off. This also made them ideal for sightseeing mountains in summer - like Cairngorm.
snow report
gregh, i think there is a lot more snow in David Goldsmith's picture than there was when I was there, which may make the tower look a bit shorter
ski holidays
There is a similiar lift system in Monte Bondone, a small resort near Veneze in the Dolomites area of Italy. The ski area is miniscule at 15 kms. But these buckets lifts are incredibly hard to get onto as they do not stop - you have to run from behind, open the rear gate, plonk your skis on the side holder and jump on whilst moving!. And the second person has to so the same!.

The picture looks like a higher resort because of of the snow, so probably not Monte Bondone.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, yes first detachable chair was built as long ago as 1948 at Braunwald, Switzerland. And it's still there!
http://www.seilbahntechnik.net/lifte/380/datas.php

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 3-08-05 17:01; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richmond wrote:
There's something similar between two levels in Flaine, I think,

When I was there, the British Tour Rep referred to these bucket lifts as "yoghurt pots" - which is a term I liked Very Happy
snow conditions
It is in Alagna.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy