Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis and boots - buy now or later

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm planning on spending the winter in Whistler Blackcomb ( Smile ) and I'm looking for a bit of advice on the best way of getting boots and skis, which I need both of. I will probably buy the boots in this country (I am in Oxford so may go to the place in Bicester) but I am unsure whether it would be best to buy skis in this country or when I arrive in Whistler. I have four weeks skiing under my belt but will obviously progress a lot whilst out there, and I guess I'll probably be wanting to do a fair bit of off piste once I've gone all over the slopes.

So, how will buying skis in Whistler compare cost wise to the UK (I am planning on working for the resort so will probably have some sort of discount)? I am more inclined to buy out there as it saves me lugging them accross the Atlantic, unless the cost is prohibitive. And what would people recommend for skis, given I will want to do a mix of on and on piste? I am 175cm and about 65kg.

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
172 Scott Punishers. Nice playful fun ski, easy to ski, good enough on piste, good enough off, good enough in the park. Not too pricey.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cool, looks like they fit the bill and I would probably be able to get them fairly cheap atm if I can find them in the right size, but testing them is likely to be difficult/impossible - is that a problem? In all honesty in the past I've just been given a set by the hire shop and they have always been fine, but I obviously had no way of knowing if I could have had better skis.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
milo, It's pointless testing them now given your current skills -you'll almost certainly hate them. The Punishers will be skis you will grow into as you progress through the season. At 175cm, they'll probably be longer than any hire ski you were given and at 89mm wide they'll be fatter than anything you've used before.

They will seem a bit awkward and unwieldy at first but as you progress on piste, and as you dive into the powder you'll love'em.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
not a bad idea to go to the "place in Bicester" though. wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jzBun, thanks - that's kind of the advice I was hoping for as I really don't think I'll know what I want from a ski until a few months after I've bought it! Do you think buying now is a good time or in Whistler, in November? Thanks all for the help so far Smile .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get boots from Colin I think as finding a good bootfitter in resort can be tricky. As your skills develop you'll almost certainly get a better idea of what you want in a ski so buying a cheap and cheerful pair to get you started doesn't really matter if its here or there. You'd probably pick up something that worked cheap secondhand if you got there for the ski swaps early season (might be end October though).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
milo, FWIW, I am roughly the same height and weight as you - approx 5cm taller and 5Kg heavier - I have got 172 Punishers, and absolutely love them. I bought them at a similar experience level to you, and they were great from the start - I'm no seasonaire, but have had them a while, and they are awesome on and off piste (although I'm just an off piste newb), the twin tips mean that if you end up liking a bit of freestyle you're all good - they are not hard to handle - fairly light, and not especially hard on the flex.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Right. I have boots. I will probably hold out on skis until I am over there, I am trying to get some socks now, looking for bargains as the thought of spending £20 a pair is painful. There are some cheap smartwool ones on Ellis Brigham but only go up to size medium. I think this should be OK - my boots are size 25 (never knew my feet were so small! I normally buy size 8 shoes), would people agree with that? If so, would you recommend the 'light', 'medium' or 'racer', they are all roughly the same price, or something else entirely?. Cheers.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
milo, you're probably better off hiring skis (and progressing "up thru the ranks" as you gain experience) until you're at a level where it makes sense to own your own pair(s) (by which time you'll also know where to get a good bargain out there).

Also, be aware that the boots you have now will not be the boots you want at the end of the season.

Size 25 vs shoe size 8? possibly a function of the ski boots - what are they BTW?

Socks? whatever is comfortable...I prefer thin (i.e. "racer" I imagine) as do most people I know...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
milo, Laughing Laughing boot size is not the same as Euro shoe size, but I am sure you know that otherwise at 25 you would have size 7.5 in a childs size Laughing

umm Toofy Grin Toofy Grin now where can you get good socks, with Snowheads discount and 3 pairs for the price of 2 \/ \/ \/ Little Angel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They're Lange RX-120s from CEM. In regards to hiring skis - I would guess this would become uneconomical after only a few weeks? I don't actually know how much I would expect to pay to hire skis.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
milo, OK, well they (the boots) should see you through the season all right!!

Re Hiring, I'd expect that you'd be able to negotiate a very reasonable seasonal rental, possibly mix in a discount if you buy half way through or something. I don't know what the "load" factor is on a pair of skis but I'd not be surprised if it was quite low i.e. if you walk in and explain your position, and that you'll be there all season, you'll probably be able to work out something sensible.

Also, if you pick a "good" shop you'll end up buying other stiff there (socks, for example), etc. Just be aware that unless your motivation is drinking beer in the bar at the bottom of the gondola who's name I forget, the skis that will be best for you today, won't be the skis that are best for you in 4, or 6 or 8 weeks skiing time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
milo wrote:
Right. I have boots. I will probably hold out on skis until I am over there, I am trying to get some socks now, looking for bargains as the thought of spending £20 a pair is painful. There are some cheap smartwool ones on Ellis Brigham but only go up to size medium. I think this should be OK - my boots are size 25 (never knew my feet were so small! I normally buy size 8 shoes), would people agree with that? If so, would you recommend the 'light', 'medium' or 'racer', they are all roughly the same price, or something else entirely?. Cheers.

Socks sorted for you: http://www.fieldandtrek.com/smartwool-ski-socks-mens-401041 £12 a pair is as cheap as you are going to get good quality socks, and the Smartwool ones seem to last well and don't smell much, even after a couple of days use (and I would make them smell) and they are plenty warm enough for any conditions and thin enough to feel what is going on down there.

If your boots are size 25, you probably do want medium Smartwool. What were you wearing when they fitted the boots?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy