Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

KENDO or MANTRA?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, I'm new to Snowheads. Be Gentle. I just started my dry training for next season and inevitably started dreaming about new skis. My current skis (Volkl Karma 177) are 5 years old and took a beating in the snow-starved Alps last season, so I think I can justify a new pair. Given I'm a Warren Smith Academy devotee they have to be Volkl and I've previously demo'd the Mantra's and loved them so this was my starting point. However, with no fresh snow to play with last season I learned to love the moguls and so I'm thinking maybe the Kendo would be a better option. I spend 100% of my time skiing in the Alps and would describe myself as an off-piste/edge of piste skier. This is where I have all my fun and I only ski the piste to get to the off-piste. I'm also a realist and most of the time this means I'm bashing about in the variables rather than cutting fresh tracks in deep powder. However, given the Kendo is a slimmer version of the Mantra I'm thinking I should progress to 184cm to give me the extra float on those days when I do find powder. I'm male, 77kg and 174cm. What do you think?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chrisdsgreen, Theres been loads of stuff on here in last 2 years about Mantras, I cant comment on Kendo's but from what you say I'd go for the Mantras, I have just bought a pair of 2010 model ready for next season having ski'd my 2007's and they served me well doing exactly what you are doing. I ski 184cm's and am 95kg+ and no problems, they handle brilliantly both on piste/ in crud and powder, not the greatest in moguls but thats likely the driver!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chrisdsgreen, By the way......nothing at all wrong with Mantras on moguls but obviously not the best given their geometry but for a freeride ski I'd thoroughly recommend the Mantras. Also Marker Dukes or Griffons, very responsive and like to be pushed (some would say heavy combo but when I'm stood on them what's the worry?). Only carrying them short distances, lift access to most off-piste we do.

I'd be interested in feedback on Warren's training courses, am thinking of doing a Manchester fridge course in the autumn to improve off-piste, worth it? PM me if you prefer rather than diverting your thread. Cheers.

Welcome to SH BTW!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
chrisdsgreen Ellis Brigham currently have a pair of 184 Kendos with Tyrolla bindings for just under £330. At that price why not just buy them and try them?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tiger2, I agree........they look good at that price!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks to you the both. The Ellis Brigham Kendo's are now mine. I'll let you know how I get on with them. Markymark: I sent you an email about Warren Smith courses.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Job done within two hours!!

The power of snowHeads or wot?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Markymark29, Well done........will look at your message re WS, cheers.............enjoy your skis
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy