Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Isolation

Poster: A snowHead
One of the most memorable experiences I have is the 2 nights myself and Rhonda had at the Sunshine Inn in Sunshine Village near Banff.

Accessed only by gondola, the isolation was fantastic. It was early season when we stayed, but the snow was fantastic. There were less than 20 other residents at the time although the hotel has over 80 rooms. So the service was excellent.

As the Inn is right beside the Standish high speed quad I had first tracks both mornings.

I was thinking I would love to go back again, but are there any similar places to stay in either USA or Europe. Have any Snowheads stayed at the Sunshine Inn????
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
www.whitepod.com
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno, That looks amazing!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnboy, we've talked about staying at he SI several times, but never got around to doing it. What went on after the lifts shut, apart from eating and drinking? Any toboganning?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm tempted by Whitepod - I heard about it ages ago. Have you stayed there Arno? what's it like?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stayed a few times at the Guglielmina refuge above Alagna. A tremendous start to the day stepping out at 3,000m. Also a fine view of the Milanese New Year fireworks!

http://www.rifugioguglielmina.it/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
richmond, I think johnboy was on honeymoon!! wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Riffelalp

Talk to your Swiss bank manager!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I stayed up at the Hotel Körbersee above Warth/Schröcken. That's pretty wild you have to drive to the Hochtannbergpass which is wild and high then the guy comes out in a skidoo and picks you up. It was pitch black in a blizzard when I went and he tore up the moutian at high speed to the hotel.

Some photos
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont, the romantic devil! Still, I imagine that a bit of toboganning would be a welcome distraction.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nightshift, I haven't stayed in the whitepods, but there have been lots of articles in the press over the last year about it. it's certainly been in the Guardian and Times - probably worth searching their websites.

Do like the look of it if I find myself with enough spare cash. On the other hand, you can get a similar (if less luxurious) experience for much less in an alpine hut
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hi Dave,

I've eaten at that refuge in Alagna, but not stayed there, how was it? Did you have to get a lift to it with ski bag etc?

regards,

greg
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnboy, there's a hotel up the mountain from Neustift in Stubaital (Austria). That must be pretty isolated I should think. I expect they've got a website. Also near here in La Berarde (which is a tiny hamlet) you can stay in a Gite with an old mountain guide and go off ski touring with him from there. They don't clear the road in winter so he has a tracked vehicle to go and collect his clients in! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, ah yes, I've not stayed there though. Have you skied the runs next to it? Very steep as I recall and very quiet. I've stayed in ther sister hotel in Neustift though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gregh, each time we skied to it from the top of the Gressoney lift (whose name escapes me). Non-skiers/beginners do then have to walk about 400m back to the ridge above Gressoney although they do sometimes skidoo people back. They are very accomodating...

How was it? I would not give up the experiences (been twice) for the world.

As you head to bed you are given a torch to navigate at night as the electricity gets switched off. There's no heating so three duvets all round. The 1st time we stayed there were incredible winds so the windward rooms amassed quite a lot of snow (inside...). There's no running water either so take care if you have contact lenses, etc.

But there are stoves in the restaurant/bar and there's a drying room for kit. The evening food is decent stuff although they (apparently) celebrate the new year by serving up the donkey that took all the food up for dinner. I can't recommend it.

The rest of the food's good though. Bar well stocked and generally a fine crowd around. Staying for the evening would be well recommended in its own right as an experience but the fact you walk out into a fine run down (previously somewhat off piste) makes it tremendous.
snow report
ise, I've been once in winter, but only skied that side one day. I did ski those runs but don't remember anything about them. I do remember the luge run down from the gondola station though! One of our coach drivers broke his arm .......... Shocked
snow report
richmond,

We were already booked into the Chateau at Lake Louise for 10 nights. We wanted to get the bus upto Sunshine for a days ski-ing, but as it was early season the bus wasn't running. The Chateau booked us 2 nights in Sunshine for only £100!!! We had to get the bus to Banff and then upto Sunshine. They upgraded our room which had sofas, fire, hot-tub, huge shower etc, they even threw in a bottle of bubbly and a cheese board.

We only stayed 2 nights and as there were so few guests it was very peaceful. We had great craic with the bar staff in the Sunshine Inn. Spent a bit of time in trappers. Might get a bit bored for a week though?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy