Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I wear a helmet because?

Poster: A snowHead
kevindonkleywood, isn't it about time you started a boots-with-hand-luggage thread?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone think there's much weight behind better skiers tending to wear helmets?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Apparently James Bond could ski over a cliff in a woollen hat and a parachute (as in the film "The spy who loved me").
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DaveC, Depends on what your definition of 'better skiers' is I suppose. I would say that better skiers (or what I consider to be better skiers) don't always wear helmets, but are probably more inclined to consider what kind of skiing they will be doing and base their decision to wear/not wear a helmet on this.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DaveC wrote:

Partly true, a helmet will make you heavier Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
anarchicsaltire, Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All the obvious reasons. Also it's a good place to stuff all your cr@p; gloves, goggles, tube, hat etc prior to wearing 'em. And it's the first line of defence in daily anti-tree warfare, shame jackets ain't as robust.

Never did get the "helmets are counter-productive because they make you feel invincible" guff. Each occasion I put mine on it's just a timely reminder of why I'm actually wearing it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't wear a helmet because people who do are a total pain, always evangelising about the benefits of helmets.

If you want to give into your fears that's fine, but stop going on about it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Or go to an upmarket resort that prices out the irresponsible piste users. People don't run into each if the number of skiers are few and far in between on the run.

Helmet wearers obviously worry about they themselves could be out of control or in a place where others could be out of control. They could, as an alternative, control their skiing instead. If the risk is high one can always slow down! However if one can only go to France and it has to be during the mid term breaks then wearing a helmet may not be enough.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveC wrote:

I think more experienced skiers will have been in a situation where a helmet might have prevented a bang on the head (be it ice or rocks). I do not think that makes them better, just more aware of the risks.

I agree that skiing where it is full of random people skiing with limited experience, is often more dangerous than skiing down a black run on your own. You do not need to be going very fast to get knocked over by an out of control beginner, and bang your head on ice.

I too find that goggles steam up less when you wear a helmet. I think it is due to the moisture from forehead sweat being absorbed in the helmet cushioning.

rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
keeps my bald head warm
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Because I absolutely HATE the feel of a woolly hat on my head, unless it is so loose it would be at severe risk of falling off. If I didn't wear a helmet I'd have a very cold head, so I wear a helmet.

Plus the whole going fast without one would be weird - I wear a helmet on a bike or a horse, so why not wear one on skis.

Also am rubbish at judging bend/height clearance exiting chairlifts...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BCjohnny wrote:
All the obvious reasons. Also it's a good place to stuff all your cr@p; gloves, goggles, tube, hat etc prior to wearing 'em. And it's the first line of defence in daily anti-tree warfare, shame jackets ain't as robust.

Never did get the "helmets are counter-productive because they make you feel invincible" guff. Each occasion I put mine on it's just a timely reminder of why I'm actually wearing it.

+1

first time with a helmet last season. Loved it. Not hot, not itchy, not uncomfortable as I thought it would be. Its a bit too pretty for my studded black ski gear though - time for new ski gear?

Also, I looked so awesome in it (tongue in cheek) my daughter got the exact same one Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

How would you know you'll be more likely to crash if you wore a helmet?

It's the oldest equation in the book, the more protection that is worn, the greater the risks that are taken
I didnt type in "pint" the word I actually did type in was auto - changed?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I intended to wear a helmet last season, but didn't.. and am still posting on SHs.
snow report
Randomsabreur wrote:
Because I absolutely HATE the feel of a woolly hat on my head, unless it is so loose it would be at severe risk of falling off. If I didn't wear a helmet I'd have a very cold head, so I wear a helmet.

Plus the whole going fast without one would be weird - I wear a helmet on a bike or a horse, so why not wear one on skis.

Also am rubbish at judging bend/height clearance exiting chairlifts...

...Absolutely agree about the woolly hat thing - a hot and itchy head isn't the best feeling, and the helmet I bought last season (my first one) eradicated both issues totally.
snow report
Benzknees wrote:
I don't wear a helmet because people who do are a total pain, always evangelising about the benefits of helmets.

If you want to give into your fears that's fine, but stop going on about it.

I 'gave in to my fears' a couple of years ago. I don't like wearing a helmet but made a decision myself (not based on the opinions of any evangelical skiers, and only had a comment from one friend previously) as for me the potential benefits outweigh any irritation caused by wearing one. Wearing one hasn't turned me into someone who nags others to do the same. Wear one if you want to but don't not wear one because you're being a rebellious child.
snow conditions
saikee wrote:
Or go to an upmarket resort that prices out the irresponsible piste users. People don't run into each if the number of skiers are few and far in between on the run.

Helmet wearers obviously worry about they themselves could be out of control or in a place where others could be out of control. They could, as an alternative, control their skiing instead. If the risk is high one can always slow down! However if one can only go to France and it has to be during the mid term breaks then wearing a helmet may not be enough.

How awful, imagine having to go to France and having to go at peak times. Can you recommend an upmarket resort where everyone will be safe?
ski holidays
Lou,

You will have a job to find somebody to run into if going to Aspen, St Moritz and or places the TOs have no interest in. The profit from them is too low because the accommodations are expensive or the volume not big enough (small resorts).

If you can avoid France you should be able to half the queue to start with. Many Swiss and Austrian do skiing as a recreation and don't have to go crazy on the slope to get the once-a-year thrill. You will be safer with resorts predominantly used by the locals in their countries.
ski holidays
Because it's the best way to listen to music and not have the headphones fall off.
snow conditions
saikee, I was being facetious. But thanks for the information.
ski holidays
Quote:

Ind finally, what do you mean that you look like a pint - a pint of what? Milk? Beer? cider.. whatever.. rolling eyes

tangowaggon almost certainly didn't write 'pint', that's the autoprude forum censor's work.

Edit

pint
pint
pint

2nd edit.

Yup.
ski holidays
saikee wrote:
Or go to an upmarket resort that prices out the irresponsible piste users.

Laughing Rich people are well-known for avoiding all risks and reckless behaviour - just look at the bankers.
snow report
I'm pretty sure the modern day TJ Burke and Dexter Rutecki would be using helmets (but Trevor Eve & Spandau Ballet might not).
snow conditions
Community Service moment.....for everything you wanted to know about helmets by snowHeads, for snowHeads...... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Quote:

Rich people are well-known for avoiding all risks and reckless behaviour - just look at the bankers

Actually it is the governement who is reckless in bailing the bankers out. Why can't they let the banks go under just like hundreds of other business did each year? Plenty of countries are now known to live beyond their means.
snow report
cuz i dont want to get tw*ted by gates when racing....

cuz wearing one has already saved me from nasty injury (many moons ago)

cuz although you should be able to trust everyoneon the slopes, i can't. I've seen too many collisions.

cuz tree branches can knick(grab) your hat and goggles, but not a helmet

Cuz they are warmer and more comfortable than hats, and when needed can dump excess heat through vents

etc etc
snow report
Pint = prick or penis technically.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saikee wrote:
Quote:

Rich people are well-known for avoiding all risks and reckless behaviour - just look at the bankers

Actually it is the governement who is reckless in bailing the bankers out. Why can't they let the banks go under just like hundreds of other business did each year? Plenty of countries are now known to live beyond their means.

Ah yes, just to be sure, both the government and the banks should be allowed to fail and be out of business. Failing that, I'm surprised that employees from either of those corrupt sectors aren't wearing helmets at the moment....
snow report
lightningdan, congrats
snow report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
lightningdan, congrats
Time well spent . Thank you.!!
snow report
achilles, I think it may be time for another boots as hand luggage thread, I much enjoyed last years Smile
snow report
achilles, kevindonkleywood, I'm going to report you guys to the SPH (Society for the Protection of snowHeads). Twisted Evil
snow conditions
This thread annoys me so much I don't know why I keep looking at it. But this made it worth it.

fatbob wrote:
I'm pretty sure the modern day TJ Burke and Dexter Rutecki would be using helmets (but Trevor Eve & Spandau Ballet might not).

Where would Dex keep his trusty orange cap?
latest report
Three years ago, skiing in Whistler, I hit a tree so hard with my head I did a lot of damage to the tree [I also totalled an ACL]. It was the first day in 20 years skiing I wore a helmet. Without it I would be dead.
Not only do I always wear a helmet now, but I find it very comfortable and don't even notice I have it on .....
latest report
I heard somewhere that helmet wearing is just white guys trying to look black. Anyway, skiing into a tree is a technique and mountaincraft issue. Even with a helmet, a really hard smack of the bonce on a tree would probably have the same end result.
latest report
What percentage of ski instructors wear helmets?.....
snow report
MazDave, Most of the younger ones, IME. Not sure how it is relevant though?
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
I heard somewhere that helmet wearing is just white guys trying to look black.

nah...that's golf
snow report
I wear a helmet:

For self preservation
To set the kids a good example
Because it keeps my head nice and warm
Because it suits me better than a woolly hat
Because it's already saved me from being 'laid out' following several 'strikes' to the back of the head from lifts!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy