Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another helmet camera question!

Poster: A snowHead
Please help! I would like to buy a camera for my boyfriend, but after reading quite a few reviews cannot decide between Contour GPS and Drift HD170 Stealth. Any suggestions, recommendations?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Contour+ if you can afford it...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks clarky999. Contour+ arrived yesterday, looks cool, need to book a ski trip to try it Very Happy
ski holidays
 cran
cran
http://www.apt8h.com/Computer/Electronics/contour-vs-drift-hd170-stealth/Page-1.html
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gopro out of the running? Not sure if these are the very latest models but i'd say the gopro looks slightly better here http://www.pinkbike.com/video/151302/ Its got better mounting options as well.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gde, feedback would be ace if you get a chance to use it soon-ish, also how much was it, if you don't mind me asking?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999, I got it from www.v-nix.nl for 495 euro. We leave in NL and left it a bit late, so had to find a place who could deliver ASAP. The good thing about v-nix.nl is that you get 16GB card, car charger and USB adaptor. Bad, as they are NL based, I didn't get 2GB card, seems this is not included for all countries. He hasn't tried it properly yet, not outdoors anyway so can't comment yet. We will try it next week and will let you know!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can anyone advise if the HD 1080P is OK, I've been looking and theres some good deals on them currently. I want it for skiing and big MTB-ing descents, not that bothered about sound, and cant really see benefit of GPS. Can someone shed some light on this for me?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markymark29, do you mean the ContouHD 1080P? I have that model and generally I'm impressed with it, subject to one major caveat. When using it for skiing in bright sunlight the camera noticeably over-exposes the snow so it just becomes a white, featureless surface. This seems to be a problem with all the helmet cams from the reports I've read. If you intend to use the ContourHD for skiing I'd recommend that you buy the Lens Replacement kit which adds a new front element to the helmetcam and has a filter thread which enables you to fit either a circular polarising filter or a Neutral Density 2 filter. This fixes the overexposing problem.

As far as I can tell there is no difference in the video quality between the HD 1080P and the Contour GPS or the Contour+.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Contour+ has a wider angle I think, don't know about quality though.
snow report
 cran
cran
For me, the contour seems the best buy of the three (drift/contour/gopro), Go pro has better picture (from samples I've seen) but the camera shape is naff, and will make you look like a telly tubby, so therefore not an option. The drift picture quality is not as good as the contour.

I'm going to get the Contour GPS because I will also use it for cycling and mountain bike and so the GPS overlay might be useful, and it's not much more expensive than the non GPS one.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, Yes it is the ContourHD 1080P, will take your advice re the filter mod, thanks for your help. What about sound quality is this OK?

clarky999, Its much more pricey though.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29, sound quality is badly affected by wind noise, but that's the same with all microphones unless they have some sort of windgag. The microphone on the Contour is located in a small hole at the base of the unit and I think you can buy little furry dots which stick over the hole and would help cut the wind noise (www.keene.co.uk).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi

OK, we use BOTH contour and GoPro when we are filming the ski testing videos, and when we are just out having a laugh on our skis and mountain bikes, my opinion:

The GoPro is super easy to use, only hassle is pressing the front button if you have thick ski gloves on, but not too difficult. We run the LCD backpack, and that is a game-changer; We can set the angle up correctly for filming, change settings, and watch video on the bubble back up the mountain. This pack comes with a waterproof door, but makes it look even bulkier. BUT you get that playback. The picture quality as others say is very good. Range of brackets good. TIP: We use Quiver Killers binding mounts, we mount a single one on our skis or our demo skis in front of the binding nose, and mount the bracket to that with a screw. DO NOT trust stick on pads, suction pads, we have tried them all, I have lost count of the walks back up the mountain. The Quiver Killer gives you a secure mounting point without damaging the camera or ski.

The Contour, picture to me is a little better, you do need the filter to acheive that as mentioned above, although both get a little over exposure on the mountain. The supplied goggle mount strap is OK, but only OK, as when you are pushing it you see a lot of wobble, and you end up pulling your goggle straps so tight you have rings around your eyes well into apres-ski wink We had BIG problems with the first update, trashed the included micro SD card but if that happens to you the little electronics shop in Val D'Isere stocks these! This has been resolved, but follow the instructions very carefully. I find the Contour software a bit of a faff, and the GPS thing is fun the 1st time, then forgotten!

The key to either of these is having good video editing software after the event, to make the best of your clips, or better still have a friend called Carey who runs a small video editing company to sort it out for you!

My summary on the two, we sell both but here is my opinion, whether for mountain bike or ski/snowboard use:

EASE OF USE - GoPro HD - Plug and play
SIZE/HANDLING - Contour
BRACKETS/ACCESSORIES - GoPro (Was the Contour with the Iphone viewer link, but the GoPro LCD and the array of brackets is a winner)
BATTERY LIFE - Easily the GoPro, still isnt great, but you can add a batterypack add-on
FILM QUALITY - Got to say similar, and it depends on light, and editing of the video afterwards. Both do incredibly well for their size and what we put them through. Contour edges it though
SOUND - Both not great, but the Contour is a LOT better and usable actually, the GoPro sounds like you are talking into a baked bean tin, whilst rustling a paper bag
WILL I LOOK A DORK? - Only if you do the Whistler thing and stick one on the end of a broom handle or ski pole to 'get cool shots' Great until you stab someone with the thing! Contour is the sleeker, and you don't bash your head as much on ski lifts (Those that have a GoPro will be nodding right now)

Hope this helps, you get what you pay for with this tech, we have tried the cheaper cameras, and won't be stocking them. Personally I would save and go for one of these, combined christmas/birthday/easter present maybe, for the next 5 years?!

ScottyDog

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 17-08-11 17:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
scottydog wrote:
BATTERY LIFE - Easily the GoPro, still isnt great, but once the Contour is flat you are done. At least you can battery swap the GoPro
You can swap the battery in the ContourHD for a fresh one. I have a couple of batteries for my Contour and they last a day of filming for me.

scottydog wrote:
(Those that have a GoPro will be nodding right now)
Ducking rather than nodding wink
ski holidays
All - Thanks all for your feedback much appreciated, had my ContourHD GPS delivered yesterday £215 from Amazon, great deal, also new 16Gb micro SD card and Connect View card so I can bluetooth it to iPhone for viewfinder. Just need to sort software downloads tonight and then ready for the Austria MTB trip at the end of the week. Have also ordered a helmet strap mount for bike helmet, hopefully due today - raring to go.

Keen to get it sorted for my biking trip (big decent from 2450m to 1300mm planned), my biking/ ski pal has one too, should be a laugh. Need to get used to operating it, ready for the winter ski trips. Very Happy
latest report
 cran
cran
Quote:
Have also ordered a helmet strap mount for bike helmet, hopefully due today

does it not come with bike helmet /ski goggle mountings?
latest report
cran, Comes with a goggle strap and 2 others for mounting on the flat, but wanted a mechanical attachment due to the vibration it'll get on the bike descents, see www.dogcamsport.co.uk, vented helmet strap for Contour. Like most things you need a few add-ons but better than seeing it tumbling down the ravine next to you I guess. Also going to get a helmet fixing for skiing rather than goggle strap fixing, taking on board Scottydogs comments above!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
[quote="rob@rar"]
scottydog wrote:
BATTERY LIFE - Easily the GoPro, still isnt great, but once the Contour is flat you are done. At least you can battery swap the GoPro
You can swap the battery in the ContourHD for a fresh one. I have a couple of batteries for my Contour and they last a day of filming for me.

My bad, of course they do, we sell em! The battery pack is a nice add on on the GoPro though, means you can double it. As we run both cameras, I just noticed the Contour giving up first...

ScottyDog
snow report
gde, my preference is the drift 170 or HD version, some guys i ski with and myself all have them.

the main good points to take into account are:

fisheye lens
wrist band to stop and start record
a selection of mounts for camera unit
camera mode
photo mode
screen on camera
sd card (same as a normal camera)

i have removed the goggle strap bracket and screwed a bracket to my helmet to make it secure and stop the camera banging around
latest report
Quote:

screwed a bracket to my helmet

??
ski holidays
Markymark29, ??
ski holidays
scottydog, which mount do you use with the Quiver Killers?
snow conditions
roche1800, Doesnt it damage the integrity of the helmet, I was thinking of doing this but was a bit worried?..........be keen to do this rather than gluing on. Did you use a special bracket?
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

screwed a bracket to my helmet

??

I got your "??" - not sure i like the sound of screws into the helmet either, wouldn't drilling a couple of holes through the bracket and into the shell and using pop-rivets be preferable for a hard-mount? Personally, I mounted my cam using velcro straps sewn to the chin straps where they joined the helmet, around ear-height, always held my cam stable enough.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29, I am almost certain that if an individual made contact with tge helmet manufacturer the would strongly advise against!!! As for the integrety, this can be a good debate, all I can say is that I have used tge bracket from the Drift which should ordinarily be velcoed to the helmet. Past experiences with the google strap bracket causes vibratioon/juddering so not much good when having a look with the boys! The velcro can easily come off (with the camera) with a hard landing (fact) or I would hazzard a guess with a fall or catch a bar on the lift. All I have done is taken a pragmatic approach been practical. I would gladly send you a pic but the helmet is in France and I am in uk. Hope this helps!!
latest report
About to get a Contour I think, so I need

Contour with helmet mounting kit
1 spare battery pack(?)
circular polarising filter
Lens replacement kit to attach above

IS that it?
latest report
How does a circular polarising filter work on a contour? On a stills camera you adjust it to get the best picture given the direction of the sun, etc. That wouldn't work with a video camera which is moving around. Just interested.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, yes, that's more or less what I've got, although I use a Neutral Density 2 filter rather than a polariser.

Colin B, the polariser is more for reducing the light level reaching the camera sensor rather than polarising the light.
snow conditions
rob@rar, kitenski, I don't think a polariser would work well for the reason given above, it would vary the light reduction as you move about, you should also use one with the sun side on. I'd go for the ND too.
ski holidays
richard sideways, getting into the nitty gritty: a small pilot hole, them a dome head self tapper with full thread - its a neat job, as opposed to some 4" posi screws razzed in. Get my Drift!!!!

Anyway as always U Tube has the answer try
http://youtube.com/v/W5v36v2zpqQ

You can see for yourselves the the 3 cameras (Drift, Contour & Go Pro).

Thank crunchy its Friday!
ski holidays
dear all< i would be interested to hear the general concensus on who thinks which camera has the better picture, obviously you need to be UNBIASED!
snow report
roche1800, had horrible image of you having a great deal of trouble removing your helmet after screwing your camera in place. Smile
Also thinking of overhauling my old cam setup, think i'm leaning towards Contour, like the bluetooth-phone-viewfinder functionality.
snow conditions
Anyone considering the HDMax Extreme 1080p? I know the Ski Sunday team were using it last year as a headcam for Graham Bell when he was doing his course runs.

Cheers
ski holidays
Richard Sideways, only the bracket is fixed!!! Bracket is black and helmet is black, and the camera unclips easily. The job is sorted!!!!!!!
snow conditions
Id go for go pro, its used alot on TV shows (seen it in top gear and many other 'adventure' type tv shows) also, lots of good accesories. I did LOADS of research into the 3 when i was buying mine. went for the go pro based on image quality, support and accessories.
snow conditions
HI All i have the contour hd have just ordered the replacement lens kit but which of the myriad of bits on the keene.co.uk site mentioned above is the right one

cheers

Loz
snow report
Has anyone used the Drift 170 HD as well as either the Contour or GoPro to offer a comparison - I like the look of the Drift as it's water resistant but it seems quite a bit cheaper than the others so unsure if this will compromise on quality.

Also, is there a GoPro with a screen built in? Can't seem to see one but think this would be a really useful feature.

Cheers.
snow report
snowsteve wrote:
Has anyone used the Drift 170 HD as well as either the Contour or GoPro to offer a comparison - I like the look of the Drift as it's water resistant but it seems quite a bit cheaper than the others so unsure if this will compromise on quality.

Also, is there a GoPro with a screen built in? Can't seem to see one but think this would be a really useful feature.

Cheers.

if you get the gopro 1080 you can buy a screen to clip on. its good. Smile
latest report
Thanks Togger, I'm been drawn towards the GoPro the only thing that's stopping me is that it looks quite bulky in photos compared to the others, also, on the blurb about the screen it seems you get a waterproof screen and a non-waterproof screen - that seems a little odd but I suppose it could make sense??
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy