Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which mobile phone?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have an iPhone 4 and as much as i hate to admit it the reception isn't that good. I am thinking of buying a smaller and lighter phone second hand or cheap pay as you go phone for walking and skiing. I am looking for something simple with good reception, many years ago i used to have a little nokia which seemed to work everywhere, but i have no idea what's good at the moment.

Any suggestions?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mt, An old nokia 5210 builders phone from ebay, shock proof, waterproof etc and cheap, same as your little nokia?! or there is a slightly newer version 5140 that was once the gadget shows most robust phone....still old however!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mt, Any of the Samsung phones that are based on Qualcomm chips, e.g Samsung U800. Straightforward 2G/3G phone. Can do web surfing if that's what you want.
IMO Nokia are no longer what they used to be in terms of quality and reliability!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steilhang is right about the latest Nokia offerings but their older stuff would be perfect for your requirements. And there should be plenty of them going cheap on Ebay or other internet sites.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
apparently using a case for the iphone improves the reception dramatically, sure you'll find plenty online about that (sound dubious doesnt it, but apparently true!)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Nokia are no longer what they used to be in terms of quality and reliability

We got a new Nokia on-call phone for work. It's a seriously cheap plasticky phone, and the screen was scratched to hell within less than 2 weeks.

Compare that to my Moto Razr which has lasted many years, with nothing but a minor ding.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andy, yup. Nokia seem to be doing everything in their power to lose it right now. If you look at the way they have completely missed the boat with smartphones, and then making an annoucement that they are going to switch to Windows Phone 7 about a year before they had an actual product, thereby effectively torpedoing their existing Symbian market ( not that that was growing ) rolling eyes I think in a few years time we are going to reading about Nokia in MBA course books!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steilhang wrote:
I think in a few years time we are going to reading about Nokia in MBA course books!

Can't be this... http://www.mba.ac.uk/ but might be this, I suppose ... http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steilhang, think you're right. Motorola used to bad for being indecisive, but Nokia had its finger in every possible pie except one. Then dropped the single most successful pie for the 1 pie it had no finger in! duh!?

This one is afaik Symbian, and seems like a pretty decent phone in the cheapest piece of tat physical case. Oh and we taped the camera cover shut too, because if you put it in your pocket, it opens and takes lots of macro shots of your pocket contents!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No business gets it right all the time and consumer technology seems most prone to companies that with hindsight have made spectacularly bad bets usually related to propriety technology and not a little complacency. It seems that there are only two real strategies for success - stay out ahead by defining the sector and giving consumers what they aren't even asking for yet or be very agile in responding when you're not riding a winning horse.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob,
Quote:
or be very agile in responding when you're not riding a winning horse
That's Samsung! Copy the other guys idea and then do it better, with better quality!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob wrote:
No business gets it right all the time

Mikey O'Leary gets pretty close Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy