Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tuning up technique on the Saas Fee glacier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Tarquin Cooper has been out to Switzerland for some instruction with Warren Smith on Saas Fee's glacier.

He reports for The Daily Telegraph.
Quote:
The Fee glacier faces north, which means it never receives the sun. "I ran summer camps in Tignes for seven years but the snow was melting by 11.30am," says Smith "Here it doesn't start melting until 12.30."

Warren Smith is a pioneer of "new-school" freeskiing. Today's skier does not want to be limited by pisted slopes. They want the skills to ride any terrain - down steep couloirs, in and out of trees or carving fresh tracks in a powder bowl. Ten years ago you joined ski school and learnt how to do parallel turns. Now you turn to someone like Smith. He uses video analysis and the latest theories on biomechanics to take any skier, beginner or expert, to the next level.

We're not informed if the journalist was a paying guest, which can be relevant to the review ... which is enthusiastic!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Didn't think I would find you reading the Torygraph, David. And of course the journo wasn't paying Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nick, I've found a cunning way of reading the Telegraph without buying it - a bit like the hack you're alleging hasn't paid for his skiing, then.

Sometimes papers say "Vincent Hack travelled as a guest of .... " which apparently means "freebie", though a travel company would class any paying client as "a guest".

Personally, I think travel articles should state one way or the other if the writer paid. It has been known ... and it's a shame to read a review that wasn't based on a freebie - when you think it was a freebie.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, the hard copy versions of Torygraph travel articles usually do have a credit for who paid and how much it cost. For some reason they omit that from the online articles. Any time Warren gets a mention here, the slider seems to highly regard his methods so we shouldn't be surprised Tarquin was a happy bunny too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

For some reason they omit that from the online articles.

Have you actually done a direct comparison of specific articles? That would seem a bizarre editorial policy. I very rarely buy the Telegraph, but maybe I'll buy the Saturday edition and check this out.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David, Can't remember, sorry. I think I found cut down content on line at least once. For example, in print they've had tables of insurance costs which were not included in the online version of the article. Some kind snowHead recreated them the hard way.
That particular one is identical in print and online. Gives costs but not 'Tarquin was a guest of .....'
Had trouble finding it - it's not in the Travel section but in the Activity part of Weekend. I get the hard copy (a day late) 'cos you have to pay to get the xword online and I also like sudoku and the word game. Never bother with editorials or political stuiff.
I do know the travel articles only appear on line a day or so after publication and I think they want the website as clean and quick as possible.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith wrote:
Tarquin Cooper has been out to Switzerland for some instruction with Warren Smith on Saas Fee's glacier.

Been there, done that. Last July in Saas Fee to be precise. Course was excellent so did another one in Verbier in December.

Unfortunately had to pay, both times Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy