Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting fit for the new ski season...

Poster: A snowHead
All starting to get a bit more serious for me this year - 3 x ski specific 1.5hr gym sessions weekly, mainly leg and core work with a change in weight/resistance/routine every 10 sessions. Even Fattes13 is getting a bit done but methinks for other reasons also...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
well... never thought i'd be saying this when i started this thread....

I've. Joined. A. Gym!!!!

Just came back from holiday and after lots of walking on that decided I had lost too much fitness.

It's great. Swimming pool, big gym area, tennis, badminton etc all thrown in. Joined as a family so me and my better half can get exercising and the wee one gets use of the pool and swimming lessons thrown in as well!

Had my induction last night and have a 92 minute per session plan of Quads, Hamstrings, core and back stengthening exercises. It was quite interesting when I had to roll over the top of a gym ball thing for the first time ever. Thankfully I didn't keep going right through the glass door in front of me!

Bring it on, and bring the ski season on as well Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for all the info on resorts with a MacDonalds. I reckon if I'd have come on here and asked the question outright I'd have been lambasted. As it is, I've got all the info I need to knock up my shortlist. Very Happy

You don't see many resorts with lap-dancing clubs in them do you? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tiger2 wrote:

You've wasted your time. How many ski resorts have a McDonalds in them? Kitzbuhel is the only one that springs to mind.

Add Davos to the list.

Apparently there is also a McD mountain restaurant on Hauser Kaibling above Schladming - don't recall seeing it though. http://www.ultimate-ski.com/News/First_Ever_McDonalds_Mountain_Restaurant_Opens.html
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

How many ski resorts have a McDonalds in them? Kitzbuhel is the only one that springs to mind.

Megeve

Zell am See. There's a drive thru' just outside Zell am Ziller and I seem to remember going to one in Garmisch.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sah, I think it is rather in the village in Haus.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tiger2 wrote:
Thanks for all the info on resorts with a MacDonalds. I reckon if I'd have come on here and asked the question outright I'd have been lambasted. As it is, I've got all the info I need to knock up my shortlist. Very Happy

Ischgl.

There's (or at least used to be) a rather seedy bar just outside Whistler too, called the Boot, home of the "Boot Ballet" I seem to recall.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tom W wrote:
sah, I think it is rather in the village in Haus.

Ah, makes sense, I didn't actually ski down to the village.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

How many ski resorts have a McDonalds in them? Kitzbuhel is the only one that springs to mind.

Megeve

Zell am See. There's a drive thru' just outside Zell am Ziller and I seem to remember going to one in Garmisch.

Maybe they should corner the market and open a "ski through"!

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sah wrote:
Tiger2 wrote:

Ischgl.

There's (or at least used to be) a rather seedy bar just outside Whistler too, called the Boot, home of the "Boot Ballet" I seem to recall.

I believe The Purple bar in Courchevel on a Wednesday provides some gentlemans relish.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
92mins is quite long for a gym workout...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tiger2 wrote:
err, Finland? Apparently, according to a friend Embarassed, Kirchberg has 2, Kitzbuhel 1, Saalbach 1, Ischgl of course (3 I think) - there must be loads of others.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Megeve
Megève is classy though. Multi story car-park up to lifts etc. Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ischgl has a Burger King.

Back to the point... : British Military Fitness is great - a kind of outdoor circuits class with an ex-services guy yelling at everyone, more fun than it looks. Otherwise, running works for me. The best ski fitness class I have been to was in Konstanz, southern Germany, when I was a student. It was called Fitnessgymnastik mit Musik, also sometimes called Skigymnastik. I've never found anything that was so ideal for skiing specifically. Maybe that's why the Germans are able to sink so much beer yet still ski like demons the next morning...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Triathlon....hits every muscle!
snow report
Hurdy, why would you need every muscle? Couple of quads and a right bicep for drinking is quite sufficient wink
snow report
Where do you need muscles if you're technique is superb Very Happy Try les mills bodypump. I think it will be an eye opener for many guys - seeing that girls can do squads with more iron then what they can Very Happy sure, many can pump more iron for, say, 10 times but it's a different story when you have to do it non-stop for a 3 minute song.
ski holidays
Ill second CrossFit.
ski holidays
So just to sumarize the main points for getting ready this season:

drink more
eat more
pay more for it
quit the gym to save for it
plan trip to insure Mcdonalds in resort
and do 1 x squat and 1 x lunge just to make sure you still have legs.

got it thanks all!
Shocked Shock
ski holidays
Richo, surprise, surprise - thought I'd find you on this thread! Very Happy
snow report
Just cam across this article on ski mag.com about crossfit and the functional fitness it provides.. Perfect for skiing and so much more fun than normal gyms! Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.skinet.com/ski/article/crossfit-skiers?cmpid=fb
ski holidays
I go skiing once or twice a week doing around 10-15km with a decent amount of hill work, and try and do a 15 miles each way commute to work on my bike 1-3 times a week depending on the weather. I should probably do some core work aswell, because my aren't getting any faster as I get older. I was racing at the weekend and did a 7.1km time trial in 25' 53'' 25 seconds slower than the same race in 09 and over a minute slower than in 06.
snow report
I was going to a personal trainer three times a week. That on top of looking after the horses and walking the dogs, I was knackered by the end of the week. Do I need to go again?
ski holidays
you could try pistol squats

Shocked

http://www.flashpointfit.com/1/post/2010/3/pistol-squats.html
latest report
no problem with my knee this year so im doing two spinning sessions a week in the mornings, saturday morning mountain biking and playing racket ball twice a week, now to chuffin tired tio ski ..!!!
last year it did not make any difference to my skiing the lack of excersize did due to my knee, but i do feel better
ski holidays
jymmm wrote:
you could try pistol squats

Shocked

http://www.flashpointfit.com/1/post/2010/3/pistol-squats.html

nothing wrong with these - try 'em on a Bosu, just to make 'em fun Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
frogslegs wrote:
Hot yoga. And lots of it!
In a bun?
snow report
snowball wrote:
frogslegs wrote:
Hot yoga. And lots of it!
In a bun?

Lupins ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is a McDonalds in Cluses on the way to Morzine, Avoriaz and Les Gets... it is PACKED on Saturdays and Sundays during the ski season! Check out these exercises anyway...http://www.yodelmagazine.com/witness-the-fitness.html
ski holidays
I worry about losing fitness when I go away skiing!

An instructor a few years back told me he recommends lots of walking up stairs for people to get fit for skiing, especially if you go when it might be a bit heavy going.
snow conditions
I've been forced into the gym due to busting my ACL in January. Moved up to full running a few weeks ago, do about 20 minutes alternate 5 mins run, 1 min walk. Then do some upper body free weights, planks, push ups etc. Then finish off with some weighted squats and lunges. Going to start speed rope when I remember to pack the fricking thing.
ski holidays
I'm going to the gym four times a week, I'm determined to really be fit this season - for the first time in YEARS.

I've started ramping up the cardio this week, and from next week I'll be adding in some ski-specific leg exercises.

It had better make a difference!! Also, as I'm going to St Anton in Feb, I'll be practising dancing on tables after drinking as much beer as I can in the space of two hours.
latest report
Piccadilly wrote:
Also, as I'm going to St Anton in Feb, I'll be practising dancing on tables after drinking as much beer as I can in the space of two hours.

Visit local Bureau de Change twice a week, take out 500 euros in 50 euro demoninations and burning them should help too.
latest report
Not sure about the Pistol Squat as the weight of one leg thrust forward is being used to aid balance - this doesn't replicate skiing movements. Wouldn't one legged squats on a bench / step be better?

PS Should this thread be in the "Ski Fitness, Exercise, Injury and Rehab" Forum?
ski holidays
kewhoward wrote:

Visit local Bureau de Change twice a week, take out 500 euros in 50 euro demoninations and burning them should help too.

Yeah, sounds familiar from last time Sad

Oh, I'll be learning some words/actions to some shite oompah apres songs too.
ski holidays
Resumed on MTB in mid May, currently doing around 100-130 miles each week, although this may change when we revert to GMT.....meaning I just might have to use the gym.....or eat many carrots and cycle lots in the dark Shocked
snow report
Dr John, good to hear that you're on the way to a full recovery! doesn't seem so long ago that you told us all about your injury!

In amongst all the other stuff, I've been doing weighted squats and lunges and those are going fine. struggling with sore ribs from a bad tackle (on, not by, me) at the football last week so the ab work is suffering!
snow conditions
Tiger2 wrote:

You've wasted your time. How many ski resorts have a McDonalds in them? Kitzbuhel is the only one that springs to mind.

Ischgl has a burger king - does that count?
ski holidays
I like these workouts .....

http://youtube.com/v/YwmUgVrUJ4I&feature=relmfu

http://youtube.com/v/e1cnxmVAggE&feature=related

http://youtube.com/v/DKvNcRULZJQ&feature=relmfu

..... I could watch them allday Toofy Grin
ski holidays
shoogly, many thanks. Got a long weekend at a friends place in Schladming in December that I'm aiming for. Next steps are to get a knee brace fitted (looking at the Ossur CTi), then give it a run in a fridge. Physio and surgeon both confident I'll be fine, but that doesn't stop me being a little nervous.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy