Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Snow Report 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
"irritatingly prissy, self-congratulatory"

Could say that about some other posters.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sammawby, I have also found your posts interesting though I certainly haven't agreed with everything you've said (more on factual details of resorts I know; snow reports I accept as given). Don't take too seriously every comment that is made on your posts. But, on the other hand, be somewhat wary of making wild generalisations about other posters.

As others have said, your opinions are indeed that. To always expect fresh snow is unrealistic. Sometimes it comes, sometimes it doesn't. Other skiers, myself included, accept that as part of the skiing season and are quite happy to ski in all sorts of snow. But everyone to their own enjoyment Madeye-Smiley For those who can only ski on holiday, the ski weather is always going to be something of a lottery: too little snow, too much snow, too soggy snow or whatever. Unless you're coming skiing at very short notice, you have to make the best of what you get (maybe I'm biased by having learned my skiing in Scotland). That higher resorts are more likely to hold snow longer is pretty obvious but you can still have plenty of fun, even now, in lower places too. Come out here and I'll show you Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have had two good days skiing the beginners' areas in Fieberbrunn. The weather was fantastic, blue skies and blazing sun. Very warm - we skied both days without jackets. Snow was soft but never very difficult. My beginner friends enjoyed themselves and mastered the conditions, with an eight year old skiing down from the Streuböden late this afternoon without any problems. Pretty quiet, especially today. Here's a photo looking up the Zillstatt button lift yesterday...

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Come on sammawby, cheer up.. otherwise you are too much of an easy target!

Off teaching at Wagrain/Flachau today. All pistes are holding up with no rivers running through them as yet (but watch out for the odd grassy patch round a corner!... Kids are doing great; really not caring about what they are skiing on... just getting on with it!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Super cloudy and drizzly here in Innsbruck, hoping that the temperature drops enough tonight (as predicted) to get the promised snow Sunday/Monday...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skied yesterday in the Kirchberg/Kitzbühel area. Mists hung on the tops, the Steinbergkogel and Pengelstein, all day but in general the visibility wasn't too bad. The season is drawing to an end and it shows on the lower runs. The photo below shows the piste by the Maierl gondola at Kirchberg (mostly it was fine with only these few patches starting to show through near the bottom). Actually, it was quite skiable, particularly in the morning and in the afternoon I was still able to ski right back to my car at the Fleckalmbahn without problems (well, only 10 metres grass at the very bottom cutting over to the car).

The slopes were quiet and the snow not at all bad, at least if you are as weighty as me. By the end of the day young kids and other lightweights were having more of a struggle coming down, although there was only a couple of centimetres of soft snow on top of the firm base. I skied all of the immediate Kirchberg/Kitzbühel area: Ehrenbachhöhe, Maierl, Steinbergkogel, Pengelstein and Hahnenkamm. Many lifts were still running, though some more (e.g. Maierl and Pengelstein I gondolas) will be closing after Easter Monday. The "small ski circus" round the Hahnenkamm-Ehrenbachhöhe-Steinbergkogel should still be open until 22nd April (with some lifts at Pass Thurn open till 1st May).

It was still possible to ski down into Kitzbühel (including the Streif race course up to the Hausbergkante) - the photo shows the view over Kitz from the Ganslernhang.

All in all, enjoyable skiing, if you don't mind working a bit.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 7-04-12 20:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Come back from a week in Kitzbuhel today and can echo what espri, has said above. Earlier in the week it started to get hard work on some runs which were chopped up - I had a shocker on the run down to Jochberg on Monday really struggled. Thought it would be the sign of things to come especially on the lower runs, whilst the runs lower down have been decreasing in width the conditions seem to have improved. Not sure whether this is down to fewer people out skiing. Skied the streif 4 afternoons back at the end of the day (other days finishing at Pass Thurn and on the Horn) and it was probably in better shape Thursday and yesterday than in was earlier in the week. Even attempted the race route yesterday, I'm not sure any of the pros have anything to worry about, although they don't have the big moguls to deal with (what's the section of the course called which is now all moguls?)!

I may well have bumped into you at some point espri, as we skied pretty much the same area as you yesterday. Really enjoyed the run down to Kirchberg, it was actually easier to ski yesterday afternoon than on last Sunday when it had snowed the night before (but got warm mid morning).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hammerite wrote:
Even attempted the race route yesterday, I'm not sure any of the pros have anything to worry about, although they don't have the big moguls to deal with Laughing (what's the section of the course called which is now all moguls?)!

Alte Schneise (the old cutting).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
espri, thanks.

The only other bit of post holiday research I wanted to do was completed this morning when I found out who the blonde coiffeured bloke is on postcards in most gift shops in Kitz!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Actually I did have another question..... all the tree houses everywhere. What's the purpose? We assumed it was hunting, but wasn't sure.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, they are for hunting and are called "Hochsitz" or "Hochstand" (high seat or raised hide).

Hansi Hinterseer, your blonde bloke, as well as now being a singer and actor isn't a bad skier, having won the World Cup in 1973 and a silver medal at the World Chamionships in St. Moritz 1974, both in Giant Slalom. His father, Ernst Hinterseer, who won Olympic Gold at Squaw Valley in 1960, has just turned 80. A Kitzbühel family.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks again espri. I'd worked out his name so just googled him when I got home, very talented chap by the sound of it. Possibly one of the many Lamborghini drivers we saw around town!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't know about the Lamborghini but the only time I've seen him in Kitz he was playing cards with a friend in a café.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Things looked half decent at Hintertux yesterday (from a mate)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy