Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Champagny - staying out of town and with a car

Poster: A snowHead
We have found a chalet which suits our large party but its 5km out of Champagny. We don't mind the drive in if the traffic is likely to be fairly clear (we will be doing rush hour to get some of our party to ski school) and if there is likely to be car parking space next to the main gondola.

Half term if it makes a difference (although I suspect not since it seems not really full of British package holidays - although it will be French holidays as well of course).

Anyone got any local knowledge?

Any other tips for this resort?

Many thanks
PS: have checked a couple of Champagny threads, but didn't address my rather specific question.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will you be driving up from Bozel? I'd allow 15 mins for the drive and there is parking by the gondola but I've not tried to park there in peak holiday time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, juliad, no actually we would be coming from the other direction a little hamlet called La Chiserette.
I take you drive to gondola during no peak times and parking not a problem?
Thanks, again.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
TheManOnTheBus, our snowHeads voice on Champagny is skichampcouk, drop him a pm as he knows the area very well. Last year the parking area near the gondola was re-built with new facilities.
This year the lift from the top of Champagny is being replaced with a six man x2 speed new lift, so one of the reas huge bottlenecks willl be gone Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, thanks. Yes, I've done that (saw his name on the other forum sounding as if he knew it well! Glad you seconded that.)

Good news re the bottle neck going.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
TheManOnTheBus,
It should take approximately 10 minutes drive from your chalet in Champagny le Haut to the gondola in Champagny en Vanoise. The roads are kept clear between Champagny en Vanoise and Champagny le Haut, they have a regular shuttle bus between the two and they are usually very efficient at keeping the road clear. The road leading up to Champagny le Haut is a bit narrow and windy at the top but is passable with care.
I have never known a rush hour in Champagny, most of the people staying in Champagny le Haut are there for the cross country skiing, so you shouldn't get caught in a traffic jam.

You have a few options for parking near the gondola. There is the 4 storey car park in 'Le Centre' which is free, it does become full at half term but if you are early enough you should be ok. There is a new 2 storey car park next to the gondola which cost 5 euros a day to park and is hardly ever full. A lot people park on the roads leading up to the gondola rather than pay in the new car park.

If you need any more information send me another pm or give me a call, our number is on our website www.skichamp.co.uk
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skichampcouk, Many thanks indeed. Very helpful.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have been going to Champagny for 10 years and love the resort. Champagny le haut is in a beautiful valley but is more used by cross country skiers.
Roads are kept open to access the cross country routes and there is a free bus down to the main village about hourly through the day.
There is afree multi storey car park for about 600 cars next to the Tourist Office, but this can fill up in busy times. The new facility does charge for parking.
There is never a traffic jam in the village and if you are early for the parking it shouldnt be a problem.
Hope this helps and have a good holiday. Andy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, Andy, very helpful. We've booked and committed now!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thought I'd bounce this up and pick the brains of those with local knowledge again.

Would anyone recommend any ski hire place: ideally near the main gondola. We will be driving into the centre each day from Champagny le Haut, and a ski hire place with lockers or a depot would be ideal.

Thanks all

Looking forward to our holiday. Very Happy

TMOTB
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can leave yuor skis in a locker at the top of the gondola if you dont mind missing the joys of the home run wink

You can definately leave skis at the shop under the multi storey car park, to the left as you look at the car park from the village, probably at the others as well. Otherwise there are lockers at the bottom of the gondola

Hope you enjoy, when over in La Plagne before Christmas we have our best skiing of the trip on the slopes above Champagny Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks, *Roger C*, you (or anyone else) don't happen to know the name of the ski hire place under the car park (which sounds ideal - as I do like a home run Madeye-Smiley ).

Incidentally, I assume that car park which you refer to is the four storey free one?

Thanks, again.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Roger C, the home run being Le Bois down there, yes? I really liked that run, great in good snow. Wouldn't miss it by leaving skis at the gondola. Might be a little sketchy in bad snow as it is quite narrow...

There was a great little creperie place down in Champagny. Fond memories.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The shop Roger C remembers is the Intersport shop, there is also a skimium shop and 3 skiset shops within 50 metres of the centre. We tend to use skishop Vanoise in the cente, it is one of the skiset shops. We have a link with an extra 5% discount off the normal skiset website price offering up to 45% off. If that is of interest to you let me know and I will PM you a link.
As Roger C mentions you can leave your skis in a locker at the top or bottom of the gondola.

My favourite run back to resort is Mont de la Guerre, it is reasonably easy for 90% of the run, the bottom bit can be a bit tricky but I prefer it to le Bois, especially now the Verdons Sud chair lift takes you up to the start of it in 6 minutes. Le Bois becomes very icy very quickly, even after the recent dumps of snow the run soon becomes difficult after a day or so. It has a few steep, icy bits that become bottlenecks during the busy weeks.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skichampcouk wrote:
My favourite run back to resort is Mont de la Guerre, it is reasonably easy for 90% of the run, the bottom bit can be a bit tricky but I prefer it to le Bois, especially now the Verdons Sud chair lift takes you up to the start of it in 6 minutes. Le Bois becomes very icy very quickly, even after the recent dumps of snow the run soon becomes difficult after a day or so. It has a few steep, icy bits that become bottlenecks during the busy weeks.

I took my nieces down then when they were week 2/3 skiers in pretty average snow - they didn't enjoy it..
ski holidays
Another questions please!

One of our party is arriving at Geneva airport (the rest of us are driving a day earlier). He has found a bus transfer to La Plagne. According to Google Maps its not too far to drive from La Plagne to Champagny (so one of us can pick him up when he arrives).

However, it occured to me that that road might be high and closed in bad weather/winter.

Anyone got any tips on getting from La Plagne to Champagny?

Thanks
TMOTB
latest report
TheManOnTheBus,
Quote:

He has found a bus transfer to La Plagne

If possible, see if the Geneva transfer can drop him at the Moutiers train/bus station and pick him up from there - that's the route you'll have to take from Ch. to La.P so it would be pointless him going all the way to La Plagne
snow report
As geoffers, says he will have to pass through Moutiers to reach the other La Plagne villages. He can catch a bus from Geneva to Moutiers and then from Moutiers to Champagny with www.altibus.com.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy