Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me choose - Selva or Sestriere?

Poster: A snowHead
Can't decide between the Dolomites or the Milky Way for next year. What are people's experiences of these resorts? We're both solid intermediates, not fussed about wild apres - more into having a nice meal of an evening.

We're not into the long lunches thing either, its all about the sking.

Hotel recommendations at either would be welcome - mid range, central location, not too a long a clump in boots to the lifts etc.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dolomites definitely. More reliable snow and more runs covered by artificial. Better lifts, better food, better accommodation, much bigger ski area. Only downsides are longer transfers and busy runs on the sella ronda circuit (but plenty of other runs available).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hiya,

I agree with Rob. I would also add that Sestriere can be a little soulless; and the lift system in comparison to Selva really is prehistoric!

Get the Dolomiti Superski pass and you could ski a different sub-area every day - and wherever you go the scenery is simply majestic.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No contest - Selva every time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been to both. Selva without a doubt!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I also agree Selva a better choice but I didn't find Sestriere prehistoric relative to Selva. I wonder if the experience could be pre-Olympic as a lot of upgrading work was done in Sestriere to bring it to the proper standard for the Turin Olympic. I do find the Olympic runs great to ski in Milky Way.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Selva. Just. Much prettier, and more skiing to be done, but I didn't think there was all that much "challenge" there (but plenty of miles, which sounds like what you're after). Sestriere has plenty to ski too, but doesn't have the 'wow' that the Sella Ronda cliffs give you.

One thing I'd add is that last time I looked Selva accommodation seemed really expensive (well, relative). If you're looking for something cheaper then try the two villages just below Selva (all linked up)...think they're called smthg like St. Christina and Ortisei.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That was easy Very Happy Selva it is. So, in terms of accomodation (3 star or thereabouts), where do people recommend?
Freeski are you connected to AlpineItaly? I'd be interested to hear a bit more about the setup?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you insist on Selva, sorry I can't help. However if you are considering elsewhere on the Sella Ronda, then I can heartily recommend the Mesdi or Malita in Arabba. Good quality and excellent food. The Mesdi is also ski in- ski out. Frankly I doubt you'll be disappointed where ever you stay in that area. Never come across anyone who has had an issue. Try tripadvisor.com for reviews perhaps

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g194912-Selva_di_Val_Gardena_Val_Gardena_Trentino_Dolomites_Trentino_Alto_Adige-Hotels.html#T_CAT_HOTEL_MOTEL
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Try La Villa (it's a great location for the dolomites and less busy than Selva) - this place is newly contracted and so has great prices including flights and transfers - http://www.snowfinders.co.uk/chalet-details.aspx?productid=253910
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dolomites is famous of its huge skiing loops.

The main circuit is of course the Sella Ronda linking Selva(175km piste), Alta Badia(130km piste), Arabba(62km piste) and Canazei(120km piste) which are the 4 out of the total 12 areas in Dolomites. You can ski it in both clockwise and anticlockwise directions Being there has to be a highlight of every serious skier.

The Selva Gardena side is connected to Santa Cristina which is linked to Ortisei and Alps du Siusi. This is a huge circuit requiring a day skiing to get through. This loop starts at Santa Cristina funicula, go up the Seceda peak 2518m, part of the route pass though the Ortisei town centre (only a small walking as the rest is elevator through a very long tunnel), cross the valley road to Alps du Siusi side which is a massive area sold as an ideal resort for the families. The skiing ends at Saltria where a bus will take you back to the Santa Cristina funicula station through a single track mountain road full of character. Going through this track road in a bus through deep snow is a truly unforgettable experience.

If you stay in Arabba there is this World War I tour loop. You start with going up the Marmolada peak at 3342m and ski down its back to Malga Ciapela. A bus ride(ask the ticket office for direction as the bus is outside requiring a 3 minutes walk from the Malga Ciapela chairlift station) will take you to Alleghe of Civetta which has 85km piste and is Area #12 of Dolomites. You then ski a couple of runs through Civetta to its back a place called Pescul where another bus ride take you to the bottom of Cinque Torri. You then ski through it to the cable car station Lagazuoi. The top of Lagazuoi is the start point of the Hidden Valley. At its end of the Hidden Valley you can take either a bus, taxi or dragged by horses to Armentarola to join Alta Badia and use part of the Sella Ronda loop to ski back to Arabba. The two bus rides are each 15km long and make a very memorable day along the route where the Austrians fought for centuries with the Italians. The World War I tour is fully described in Civetta's Piste map.

La Villa, Corvara and Colfoso are all parts of Alta Badia very good for cruising. If you stay there don't miss out the Hiiden Valley run which you can access by taking a bus from Armentarola to Lagazuoi. Another attraction of staying at Alta Badia is there is a fast bus link at Pedraces, which is not far from La Villa, to Kronplatz which is Area #2 of Dolomites. Kronplatz has 105km piste and is great for a day trip and this is very popular resort for the Italians. The quickest way to ski it is take the bus at Pedraces and get off at Picculino where there are fast chairlifts and gondola links to the top of Kronplatz.

It is really nothing but great skiing out there with good food and spectacular scenery.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sailkee - thanks for that Very Happy Any hotel recommendations?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I usually drive so can stay anywhere within 15 to 20 km radius. Skiing in Dolomites with a car is a different ball game as you can go to a lot of different areas.

I chose to stay in a pension in Santa Cristina because it is between Selva and Ortisei.

In Arabba I chose to stay at a place called Livinallongo, which is 5 km (or miles?) away in a 4 star hotel with half board for about a 100 Euro per nigh for a couple. When you choose a small distance from the resort the accommodation cost is lower but the quality is higher. We enjoyed the 4 course Italian dinner of a true local hotel which enable us to ski Cortina Ampezzo in one direction, Civetta in another direction and the third direction is Arabba and Alta Badia. Cortina Ampezzo is No. 1 area of Dolomites and a famous resort well worth our effort. Had we stayed in Cortina it would be hard to ski other areas. While staying in Livinallongo we went as far as Kronplatz (accessed via Picculino) by car.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Selva. Simply because it's better than Sestriere.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I agree with all - both are good but Selva is better. We had a nice stay at the Hotel Linder last year. Family run, good food and pretty close to all the essentials.
snow conditions
Just booked for Selva - first week in March. Staying at the Hotel Armin Very Happy
snow report
Just a little rider question here - Dolomites, late March, is that getting too close to the end of season for comfort? If not where would you choose at that time as a base?
Thanks all you knowledgeable people in advance
ski holidays
+1 for Mountain Haddock, ? about late season snow

I just booked Sestriere for April 7-14, but after reading this thread am thinking about the Dolomites instead. I used the booking tool here http://www.lodging247.com/hotel-search/ and can cancel free up until 10 March...maybe I will double book if I can get a good Dolomite deal with flexibility??
snow report
ajpaul wrote:
Just booked for Selva - first week in March. Staying at the Hotel Armin Very Happy

I've just seen this thread. I stayed at the Hotel Armin a few years back. Very friendly staff, and the food is excellent!

It's situated about a 5 minute walk below the Ciampinoi gondola, but the hotel runs a minivan shuttle to there from about 8:30am onwards. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
MEfree30, sestriere is not the most picturesque place for sure but for what its worth the skiing there and around the milky way was fantastic for us last year based in Sauze d'Oulx. Never been to Selva so can't comment on that but The Milky Way is not bad which this thread tends to suggest.
latest report
jirac18, Agreed the milky way is not bad, but Selva is better!
snow conditions
RobW, looks like I shall have to try selva at some point then
snow report
For me, Selva looks like it is about 5 more hours driving (each way), so I'm holding onto my Milky Way reservation at Hotel Belvedere for now...will wait and see what happens with the SH Family Bash before deciding as this is a trip with my 8 yo and it would be nice to hook up with some other kids
snow report
Out of those two, definitely Selva, or for keen skiers Arabba.

MEfree30, April can be good... but it could be dire with anything south-facing melting away. If I was pre-booking for April I would consider Ischgl, Lech, Obergugl, Obertauern in Austria for more reliable conditions.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy