Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back protector...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for a new back protector.

Mainly to be used whilst racing, but also for any days off piste.

I'd like to be able to get one that is comfortable, and that could be worn all day...not just whilst on the race course.

What are your experiences, preferances and dislikes? Any recomendations?

I quiet like the look of this one...any thoughts?

http://www.sportkanzler.de/Details/Komperdell-Ruumlckenprotektor-Protector-Pack-FIS-gepruumlft~464~4.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm guessing nobody wears one then... Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spud, The FIS rules for back protectors for racing were changed recently to allow ones with shoulder straps to be used as well, I don't know whether manufacturers had warning of this change but you may see some new models for next winter.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
German test overview .....

Skiing
http://www.testberichte.de/a/ski-sicherheit/magazin/konsument-12-2010/243097.html

http://www.testberichte.de/a/ski-sicherheit/magazin/adac-motorwelt-12-2010/244386.html

Translator
http://dict.leo.org/

"Dainese Waistcoat Soft" and "Ortema P1 Dynamic" recieve good results.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Brand-X ones are used by quite a few on the UK artificial race circuit - they give shoulder/arm protectino too. Although sold for mountain biking they work fine for skiing too.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7088
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A vote for the Dainese - I wear a bike version.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs wrote:
spud, The FIS rules for back protectors for racing were changed recently to allow ones with shoulder straps to be used as well, I don't know whether manufacturers had warning of this change but you may see some new models for next winter.

I had wondered this...tbh, it makes sense to have shoulder straps as well. Maybe i'll wait until i'm in resort to get one. Save on baggage allowance too.

Many thanks for the reply's guy's appreciated. Found some i didn't know existed Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would go with Dainese too. Unless you are racing on FIS races, you don't need to worry about them being FIS compatible. Personally I use Dainese Wave (moto version) and I'm really happy with it. No idea if it really helps at all, but I hope I will never find out this Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dainese offer a couple of really good options, the Wave which is the hard back (armadillo type) with straps which detach should you so wish or that offer a soft version with fixed straps which is so comfortable to wear that i actually forgot that i was wearing it last season.... the rep had to ask me for his sample back in the bar after skiing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can someone just confirm that whilst helmets are not transfereable between sports (eg you shouldn't wear a bike helmet skiing, nor vice versa), there are no such issues with body armour? I know that this doesn't ring true for body protection worn whilst horse riding, which is not recommended for other activities.....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
anyone?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't feel like searching for some tests, but why would motorbike version of back protector be any different then skiing version? When I was looking for mine (I checked only Dainese), I didn't find any difference between moto and ski model... except for color, where skiing ones are normally white, while moto are black (with Dainese of course). This particular which I have has a bit different inside structure (aluminium vs. Nidaplast in ski version), but other then that it's same. Same shape, almost same weight, and when you put them on, they feel exactly same... or better to say... they don't feel at all Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Guvnor, Hi sorry guys missed this thread, some spine protectors are the same for Ski and bikes etc, but there are many "howevers" to this as the manufactures tend to design for each sport more and more now adays.

Forcefield did cover both but have now gone more winter range and bike range. Demon are still pretty much universal.

It all depends on what you are using your protection for, soft shell protection versions are good for most occasions, however if you need point impact protection then you also need some hard shell coverage i.e. if your planning on hitting rocks off piste Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
so basically it's all in the marketing, is that what we are saying? I had a quick look on the Dainese site, and it appears that they have different ranges for winter sports, MTB, equestrian etc, but the consensus is that they are exactly the same?

All smells a but fishy to me - are we still convinced we need different helmets for each day of the week? Surely the same rules apply? i.e you are falling at an indeterminate speed, from an indeterminate height, onto an indeterminate surface?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I didn't realise Forcefield made protection for Snowsports as well. I know a lot of the Speedway riders wear this kit, as it's light and breathable, and if you've seen any of the crashes those lads endure and get up from, then it obviously is good. Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy