Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Racing clubs

Poster: A snowHead
Hey there, new to snowheads and looking for some advice on racing clubs abroad. I'm in my mid twenties and want to take a hiatus from work to live in a ski resort for a season. At home I race on artificial slope, and I'd like to go somewhere where I can continue gate training and race at a non-FIS level. I don't know anything about ski clubs outside the UK, if ski schools have race development programmes for non FIS or non-nationals or how it works- sorry if I'm a bit vague! If anyone has any similar experience or information to share that would be great- thank you
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi and welcome to heads snowHead !!

Which country are you looking for?

BSA have a base in Les Houches Francehttp://www.britskiacad.org.uk/contact.html
Team Evolution are based in Salzburg Ausrtriahttp://www.teamevolution.eu/
ambition Racing are in Bormio Italyhttp://www.ambitionracing.co.uk/

The DHO club have a base in Wengen Switzerland but the ymove their camps from country to countryhttp://www.downhillonly.com/site/home.shtml

Hope this helps, good luck!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 15-07-11 16:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oh cack..none of the links work lol...I am hopeless but the www bit is there so should help Embarassed off to read my "computing for idiots" book Crying or Very sad Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kooky wrote:
Hi and welcome to heads snowHead !!

Which country are you looking for?

BSA have a base in Les Houches France http://www.britskiacad.org.uk/contact.html
Team Evolution are based in Salzburg Ausrtria http://www.teamevolution.eu/
ambition Racing are in Bormio Italy http://www.ambitionracing.co.uk/

The DHO club have a base in Wengen Switzerland but the ymove their camps from country to country http://www.downhillonly.com/site/home.shtml

Hope this helps, good luck!

There Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B, my hero!!! Blush
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kooky, just put a space between the country and the http bit. Currently you have included the country in the link which is why they don't work! wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue, hmmm...off to the Volkshochschule I go for more evening classes wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pphillips, Actually, are you planning to work in the ski resort, as the clubs mentioned above will be incredibly expensive if you are planning a whole season.
Why not just join a local club in the resort of your choice? Here in Austria the clubs usually train 4/5 times a week, half days including racing at the weekend in non-FIS or FIS races, as you like. They are very inexpensive to join, usually about 30-50 Euros per year, obviously no accommodation or food is included like in the above British clubs, and I don´t know if you would have a problem with the language, although most of the trainers I know here speak fairly good English. You don´t have to be a National of the country to join the clubs here, and if you decide to do Landescup races you could get priority entry as they have a 10% foreign quota for entries.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kooky, Ambition seem to be moving to Austria for next winter.

Do you see many adults training with local clubs in Austria ? The clubs that I know of in France seem to just train juniors and below.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs, mid 20s? Yes there are a few in our club but the majority are doing FIS.
Will Ambition team back up with Evolution in St Johann then?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kooky, Their blog says they are moving to Leogang.

I guess another option for the OP would be one of the groups providing Eurotest/Test Technique training.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjs, ahh yes...that´s going to be interesting at the Austrian FIS races in and around the Salzburg region then, only 6-8 start places for British racers Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pphillips, kooky, Think you'll find that non of the 3 British run teams would be suitable.
BSA are for kids of school age up to 16. They have very few who race above children's level (age 14) they have run a limited programme for 14-16 doing FIS races in the past. So don't think they would be able to cater for a mid 20's non FIS racer.
Both Ambition & Evolution are pretty similar. They also train the better GB kids up to 14 and Juniors doing FIS racing. All are on structured programmes with education. So again don't think they would cater for a mid 20's non FIS racer.

kooky, The GB Senior team are also based in Zell Am See. There are 6 guys in the team who will also be going to some of the Austrian FIS races, giving less starts to others as they have priority, and lower FIS points.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Plugboy, oh looks like LB may get bumped then. Still, great to let the Austrians see what we have for the future !!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hey, thanks for all the fast replies! I guess I was thinking along the lines of a local club - I know racers that were with Ambition and they were late teens/early 20's and at least FIS citizen, so sadly prob a bit advanced for me! But thank you for the links Kooky. The local clubs you mentioned sound perfect - lots of training and weekly races is just what i'd love. I'd go anywhere in Europe, or Whistler (I have a friend living there). Is a safe generalisation to say somewhere big like St Anton or Trois Vallees would obviously have clubs like that? (sorry if that's a stupid question!) if there's anywhere you could recommend that I could start researching that would be great, thank you!
snow report
Pphillips, Whistler could be good as Masters racing starts at 21 in North America rather than 30 in Europe. The club there has a training programme.

If you want to train in a big European resort then another option is this.
ski holidays
Pphillips, good luck anyway, and whatever you decide , ....... enjoy the racing.
In Austria almost every ski resort has a race club, it can be a bit intimidating as a Brit going in but stand your ground, the locals will respect you for it!!
ski holidays
Pphillips, these guys offer race training for both juniors and seniors at various levels http://www.race-center.at/en/racecenter-philosophie.html

I've seen a number of others offering race training in Austria and I'm sure you'll find them on a google search but I've no experience of them.
ski holidays
I'm doing a season out in Canada. I can't wait to join the local Race Club. Race Training on Saturday and Sunday,which are my day's off and Masters races on Wednesday and Fridays. Happy days.... Cool Looking to really improve.

I've heard good things about some of the Italian Race Clubs if that's any help. Smaller resorts, but really well prepared courses, and less people in the way.
latest report
spud, Good luck!! Let us know how you get on out there!
ski holidays
I'm sure i'll be looking in on here, when i'm out their. I'm really looking forward to it. I trained with the local Club in La Plagne a couple seasons ago, the language was sometimes a problem, so Canada should be a walk in the park.

From what i've seen Racing for more mature people, as in over 20, is more accessible as a Sport for serious fun, in the USA and Canada. You can still progress and learn skills, without wanting to be an FIS Racer. European Clubs seem from my experience lean towards youth and the aim to make them the best. Nothing wrong with that of course. But there are plenty of people out there who want to Race at a good level, but haven't the time to train 24/7.
ski holidays
Pphillips,

We may be able to help, depending on where you end up. We will be based in the Asota valley and have several adult trainees on our books who attend training and British races in the alps.

Drop me a pm if you want any more details.
ski holidays
Thanks so much for all the suggestions, I didn't realise WMSC had a masters programme that I'm eligible for, I'll look into that and local clubs in the European resorts I'm familiar with. Great info here - better get my act together - just a few more months now!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy