Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Campaign for Footrests on Chairlifts

Poster: A snowHead
Not everyone will agree with this, but many experts believe there's a powerful case for footrests on chairlifts.

I guess it depends on how much you like dangling your legs and feeling a sense of weightlessness.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, That picture looks like there are foot rests but this skier has sort of missed them?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yup, there are footrests on that chair
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I didn't say there weren't
Neither did the Campaign for Footrests on Chairlifts
The point is: the footrests on that chair are rubbish ... clearly
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Invent a new foolproof device, and just wait for the fools to move their standards.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What ARE you guys on about - there's no footrests Shocked (check out the chairs coming back down, for a start..... rolling eyes )
You're confusing the preceeding chair for a footrest on the chair the bloke's falling off of.
Those chairs could do with safety bars, too.....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All very good points
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Manda, um. I think you may be a little wrong.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What I see (between the man's legs) is a J-shaped section of tubular steel. I think he's intending to use it as some kind of crotch rest, but hasn't quite dangled far enough yet.

What do you reckon, ladies?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Manda, um you are incorrect I can clearly see combined safety bar/footrests on the oncoming chairs of the pull down variety, the bar you can see behind the seated skier is the counterballence to the safety bar and if you look carefully you wll see the footrests are all that's stopping the skier falling off, they appear just behind his right knee and about halfway up his left thigh.

David Goldsmith, this was not a case of footrests being needed, rather it is an example of why ski trousers/sallopets should not be made of really slippery material, it's probably also an example of why some people should never be allowed on a chairlift
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DGO, I don't think it's quite as simple as you're making out. The footrest clearly isn't up - otherwise you'd see the framework looking the same as the chairs coming down.
The footrest clearly isn't down - otherwise you'd see the distinctive T-shaped part of the framework (i.e. the footrest) where his feet ought to be.
The footrest has either been removed from that particular chair, or the idiot has sawn it off - probably along with the safety bar.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
it is down - he's got one under his right knee and one under his left thigh hasn't he?!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wonder if the photo's been doctored - kind of makes sense, though you'd wonder about the motive.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Goldsmith, I don't think it's been doctored.

Also, for those who can't see the footrests in both the down and up position, I've drawn ellipses round them.
snow conditions
nightshift's got it, I reckon - he's going for the footrest as a kind of thigh hook for both thighs.
He's either got a sore @rse, or he's given up his seat for an old lady.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 1-08-05 11:01; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Or resting a large rucksack on the seat.
snow conditions
Thanks for the ellipses, Fox. Very nicely done.

What happens to him at the top of the lift, and could you put an ellipse around it?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 1-08-05 11:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

What happens to him at the top of the lift, and could you put an ellipse around it?

Good question, with all his weight resting on the footrests it would seem unlikely that he'd be able to open the safety bar, I hope the fifty at the top was keeping his eyes open or there could potentially have been a very nasty accident Shocked
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Brilliant. You are a technical genius
ski holidays
It always amazed that in the States...of all countries...!!!! how many lifts didn't even have safety bars on them....and Ssh has said that this is still the case in some areas
snow report
I was with a fellow snowHead I think last Jan, when I saw a boarder in a similar position to the guy in the photo at Arc 1800. Convinced he was going to drop off at any second, I didn't bother getting my camera out - and then he hung on for what seemed like five minutes at least. He was over a massive pile of deep, soft snow at the time, no more than maybe 6 metres up, everyone yelling at him to just let go, but he dangled there for ages.

Chairlift (stopped by liftie) was equipped with footrest but he was probably trying to be clever, didn't pull the bar down straight away when getting on, usual thing...
ski holidays
A couple of other questions seem to arise from that photo:

1. If one skier hogs both sides of the footrest in this way, what's the other passenger supposed to do? Or is the idea to ride a double chair with three people (two on the seat, one on the footrest)?

2. What nationality is 'Mr Thigh Hook'?
snow conditions
PG, yes it was 3rd week of Jan. I was with you in the short lift queue when the boarder got it all wrong on mounting the chair with his buddy. Don't recall it being quite as much as 6m but he definitely thought twice before letting go - or maybe fatigue set in. snowHead
latest report
Charles Darwin

had quite a lot to say about primates who fall off chairlifts
snow report
David Goldsmith, looks like the primate in your photo had difficulty with the comparatively simple act of perching (credit to Monty Python. Flying Sheep sketch)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy