Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Continental car insurance & Winter tyres

Poster: A snowHead
My Car insurance is due up next month and I'm due to spend another winter season in the Alps. I am planning on driving out and using my car while out there for 5 months.

My question to the regular European drivers is which is going to be cheaper?

Do I insure the car normally then add on the Europe cover at a later date or do I declare it from the beginning?

Also on a side note. Winter tyres cheaper here or over there? I may go out a day early and get them fitted somewhere (Albertville?) Recommendations?

Thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 6-07-11 13:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dwarf Vader, Fit here it's one less 'thing' to bother with over there. I don't believe there is a lot of difference in price.
You may have a problem finding an insurer with unlimited use in Europe, legally all policies cover you for third party only in the EU but fully comp cover is only offered by a few and some don't even offer it! Best start asking the questions now.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dwarf Vader, LV and Nationwide have policies with 180 days fully comp European cover. I think NW include it, and it's a £20 extra with LV, but both policies are otherwise identical.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dwarf Vader, I remember getting my UK registered car winter-fit and insured in France and it was a doddle compared to the UK. But it was a long time ago. When I came to insure my UK registered car in Germany I couldn't - I had to register it here, get German plates have all the light units changed so my headlights conformed to German regs. It was a bureaucratic nightmare to be honest!

What have you done in previous seasons? My gut feeling is that if you are only out for 5 months, then stick with what has worked before.

With regard to the cost of winter tyres - why not do a price search now? The tyres are still available and the prices are rock bottom here. A colleague of mine has just ordered 4 fat ones for his new Merc and got a really cheap deal. I used a price comparison site here in Germany and got my new set last year at 32 Euro a pop! My service garage quoted me 67 Euro for the same tyre Shocked I think someone here used the same site to get tyres for themselves last winter and had them shipped to the UK and it was still cheaper. The prices do rise when it comes to the October period and then again as it becomes legally necessary to have them fitted in so many countries.

I have Fuldas Krystall by the way in a titchy size Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, I think 3rd party will be enough, I wont be driving it all the time perhaps only weekly.
Hells Bells, cheers I will look at them.
Samerberg Sue, When I've drove before its always been for 2 weeks or less so just tacked it on as an extra. Winter tyres are probably more available over there through the summer, I've looked here and there's nothing much about and not at deal prices. I will look at getting some sent over.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dwarf Vader, Give Micheldever a ring they import their own tyres.
www.micheldever.co.uk
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dwarf Vader, you could try this company for insurance http://www.stuartcollins.com

Our current set of winter tyres were supplied and fitted in the UK but these two french portals have been useful in the past http://www.123pneus.fr http://www.allopneus.com
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin, e mailed

juliad, the 123pneus site must be the sister site of http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html as they are the same.

on both sites Nankang Snow SV-2 is £50.60 or from the French site €55.40 which is about the same, so it looks like there is no extra premier for winter tyres over here(atm.)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Our Tesco policy also includes fully comp European cover . Only for 90 days though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use Axa for insurance and Brittania for breakdown cover.

Axa offer a fully comprehensive throughout Europe policy without restriction for number of days. Brittania do the same for a named vehicle. They got me, the wife and all out stuff home two seasons ago when the gearbox gave way heading down the hill.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sourced locally 4 pirelli part used, over 4mm of tread for just over £100 As I'm not going to be doing a lot of driving I'm tempted.

I not thought about breakdown cover, my car is still pretty good so I don't think I will thanks.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dwarf Vader, annual European and UK policy for about £59 from Quoteline Direct. If car is standing in the cold for long periods, you may be glad of the cover.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dwarf Vader, 4mm is not really enough tread depth for a winter tyre. Mine get changed at 4mm, they also are less effective as they get old as the rubber on older tyres is stiffer, opposite of what you want
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carroz wrote:
Dwarf Vader, 4mm is not really enough tread depth for a winter tyre. Mine get changed at 4mm, they also are less effective as they get old as the rubber on older tyres is stiffer, opposite of what you want

That was on my mind and you answered it with out me asking the question, cheers Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dwarf Vader, I got told to change mine at that depth last year or I would not be considered road-worthy for my TÜV German MOT)

Might be OK in the slush and stuff you get in England, but definitely not for the real season long stuff you find in the Alps.
snow report
Quote:

my car is still pretty good

so is it wise to just insure it 3rd party only?

You need to check carefully with the european cover - there's often a distinction between the overall number of days allowed and the maximum single trip length allowable. I had to look quite hard for one that allowed for 60 day trips.

If you get winter tyres over there you'll need to check you'll have somewhere to store your original tyres. Some garages will store them, but probably not the ones which sell tyres the cheapest.
ski holidays
pam w, Of course I will check that that it covers the time I'm out there. As to the storage, I was going to throw then in the car.
My thoughts are now turning to sorting it all out over here before I leave as boredsurfin says one less thing to worry about.
ski holidays
Not wanting to play devil's advocate but I'd go for snow tyres in France.

They're cheaper, the mechanics know what they're doing (only time I had it done in the uk they fitted them wrong) and it means that you don't have to do 8+hours of motorway driving on snow tyres.

Have a look at first stop who are the french equivilant of quick fit and will usually do them in an hour . . .

happy planning!
Heather
snow report
Why not just use winter tyres the whole year round. Bought some in the snow last winter here - they are very good in all conditions, appear to have no onticeable difference in mpg, are wearing fine - DOWNSIDE is that they are definitely slgihtly noisier on motorways. The brief research I did vefore did suggest poorer mpg but there is little doubt that on the ocnitnent people are not going for two sets of tyres any more as the winter tyres have improved so much.
snow report
countryman,

think I'd rather save my tread for when I know I'm going to need it. The legal depth limit is significantly lower than the actual amount you need to have good performance in snow and ice, so by changing mine back and forth, I am comfortable that I am maximising the life time AND safety (I'm also supporting local business, so he's there to supply / fit in the future...).

But as you say, many people run them year round - I just hope they change them more frequently than the law demands.
ski holidays
Arctic Roll, What I plan to do is after the advice given, is buy new uses through the winter swap for summer. Once they lose to much tread for winter(while still legal) run them through the summer and get some new winter, so I suppose once my current summer tyres have worn out, I will only me buying winter.
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader, I use these people who seem to be good value (ie quality+price) not sure if they are the cheapest. Noticed that they are now shipping to Europe ! Strange. http://www.clickontyres.com/

They are in Shipley near Bradford if you want to collect/fit them.
snow report
Jake43, cheers I'll have a look.
ski holidays
Just got mu car MOT'ed and got talking about tyres They recommend 14" wheels and tyres because that's what is standard on my car not the 15" I got, so would not find any steel wheels in that size. So now I'm looking for 175 65 14 tyres
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader, haven't read all of the above but why not just buy winter tyres and leave them on all year round - that way keeping your 15" alloys. I've just checked thread depth on my Vredestein 4 Xtremes - they started with 8mm, have been on two winters and so far 1.5 summers, covered 35k miles and still have 4mm. I'm changing them for a new set in October but only because their effectiveness on snow has diminished a bit from when they were spark new. Most impressive tyre I've ever had though and, despite talk to the contrary, they are not noisier, they definitely don't wear faster and my mpg hasn't changed a bit since putting them on. I got best price I could from internet, wandered into my local Vredestein agent, he bettered the quote and they came out cheaper than equivalent summer tyre. IMO, all that swapping tyres about and/or buying extra rims is a thing of the past.
snow conditions
Dwarf Vader, after last year's experience I'd make sure you have your tyres (fitted or otherwise) in advance. I blew a back tyre on a rock last December and had to drive around with one summer tyre on a drive wheel for 10 days. Wasn't a set of snow tyres to be had in all of Europe.
snow report
I think last year was an exception because the introduction of the German winter tyre laws forced many more to buy them:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=67395
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
Dwarf Vader, haven't read all of the above but why not just buy winter tyres and leave them on all year round - that way keeping your 15" alloys.
Most impressive tyre I've ever had though and, despite talk to the contrary, they are not noisier, they definitely don't wear faster and my mpg hasn't changed a bit since putting them on.....

IMO, all that swapping tyres about and/or buying extra rims is a thing of the past.

This makes good sense to me, Why am I messing around trying to find steel wheels etc. I should just put the tyres on my car for this season and worry about all the other crap next spring. Cheers
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SAGA - and stay abroad a year.

www.blackcircles.com - Goodyear Ultragrip 7+ winter tyres get very good reviews in German press.
And mine now stay on all year, but I do not use car much April - Nov - travelling around european canals. Not noticed increase in noise or less mpg on M&S.
latest report
colinstone, I don't think Dwarf Vader is old enough for SAGA insurance just yet. wink
snow report
He's not far off though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, I'm on nights tonight, I could call on the hour every hour to discus this?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy