Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Davos during World Economic Forum

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning a weekend away in Jan next season and it seems to coincide with the World Economic Forum... which is a shame as we were thinking of going to Davos.

Is this a big deal? Will it be a pain to find a hotel because of the WEF, will trains back to Zurich be heaving on the Sunday?

It's hardly the end of the world, there are plenty of other places to go within reach of Zurich, but I'm curious as to what effect (if any) the WEF has on Davos for the skier. Any tips?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sah, Hotels will be pretty busy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't help you there, but I was in Davos during an international orthopaedic conference, slopes were quiet, bars were heaving! Broke my leg on the first day of the conference!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ADubya wrote:
bars were heaving

This is a major concern. Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hotels will be at a premium price. Other weeks are better value. Great resort though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Think I hit it at the start of the World Economic Forum in 2009.

I stayed at a pension for 5 nights for a ensuite twin room Euro 87 per night. The pension was a few minute outsdie the bus stop and within walking distance to a train station. This is the same price I paid for an overnight stay in a German city (Dusiburg on our way back).

The only problem I had was to compete a parking space with a CNN crew bus in a town centre restaurant.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I stayed in Klosters a few years ago at the time of the WEF which shares the same ski area. I was with an organised SCGB party so I cannot really advise on hotel prices as everything was pre booked, although the cost of the whole trip was in line with what I expected.

The WEF with all the media etc. take a vast number of hotel rooms in both Davos and Klosters. I think I heard a figure of 10,000 rooms although it could be more. The good news however is that most of the WEF attendees don't ski! If you can find reasonably priced accommodation then like us, you should find the lifts almost empty, which is great because the area does not have the most modern lift system.

It was disconcerting on the first morning however, to get to the top of the mountain where the two resorts link and step out of the cable car to be faced with four Swiss army blokes all carrying sub machine guns, although I seem to recall it was the first winter after 9/11. The weird thing to me was that they were wearing summer camouflage clothing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cool, thanks everyone for all the info. It sounds like the effect is noticeable but not exactly the end of the world. I think I'll look elsewhere all the same, it's not like there's a shortage of resorts in the area Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Davos stands out the resort with the best public transport as it has both the train and the bus running together along the valley floor with the 5 unlinked skiing areas. It is brilliant to ski some 17km far away from the resort to a train station to catch a train back. Skiing wise most of the areas are typical of the Swiss resorts with too many drag lifts including Klosters. One of it's best features is that one can ski anywhere down the mountain and there is always a public transport available to get back or to another area. The public transport is free if you have booked with a local hotel or pension, even before you purchase any ski pass.

There are expensive restaurants around and being the regular venue for the Economic summit do make it rather exclusive relative to the other Alpine resorts. It is a favoured skiing place for the British Royals too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy