Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Compact cameras up to £200ish

Poster: A snowHead
Firstly, sorry if this is the wrong place but it is kind of skiing related as it will be used for a lot skiing shots hopefully. Looking for a new compact and there seems to be loads of different options out there at the moment. Not bothered about the amount of megapixels as that's not what determines a good picture so as long as the quality is fine, I'm not interested in ones that just sell on the fact that it has 200 megapixels. I'd like something that had a decent burst mode for sequence shots and also 720p video or above would be nice. I don't know much about manual settings but I'd quite like the option to learn so some adjustability would be nice. Not sure I need a super zoom but again, having the option might be useful. Think i'd probably prefer a decent wide angle over long zoom. Anyone got any suggestions?

A bit of a shortlist but not restricted to these by any means.
Canon Ixus 220 HS - £165ish
http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/IXUS/IXUS_220_HS/
Has good video capabilities by the sounds of things but no manual adjustment at all. My brother seemed to like his old canon

Samsung WB600 - £125 from some places but not found in stock at this price
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/camera-camcorder/compact-cameras/performance/EC-WB600ZBPAGB/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail
Apparently takes a good picture and has some basic manual adjustment (most i've seen so far around this price) but it looks like the 720p video is pretty average

Panasonic Lumix TZ8 - £185ish
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/DMC-TZ8/Overview/3378716/index.html
Not entirely sure if this is the current model to be honest. Has good reviews but my brother and dad both have lumix cameras and I haven't been entirely convinced. My dad likes the big zoom on his one but performance wise i wasn't particularly blown away and i don't remember it having any manual adjustments. My brother got the same camera as my dad but without the big zoom after he broke his old canon but has now broken the new one too (significantly quicker than the canon). He was really unimpressed by the build quality and really doesn't like the lack of manual adjustments.

I've also looked at the canon S90 as this is meant to be a really good camera for taking pictures but its a bit more than i want to spend (unless i go 2nd hand but even then its still at the high end of my budget) and only has VGA video.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try:

http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/best-cameras.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
you may get a tz7 a bit cheaper than a tz8...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Register has reviewed ten cameras very recently, see http://www.reghardware.com/2011/07/01/ten_compact_cameras/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Buy a Canon Ixus as a Canon Powershot SD 780 IS on ebay for about £80-£90 - cracking little camera where 'little' is the operative word.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
el nombre, if you want sequence shots of fast-moving skiers I'd say an optical viewfinder will help a lot...but they're not easy to find, especially on lower-priced cameras.

I had the Panasonic TZ7 for a short while (lost it somewhere in the Mooserwirt). I wasn't totally in love with it for ski shots, although I did like the zoom versatility. But I can't compare it with the other two on your list, and the camera I'm very happy with now (Canon G12) is more expensive. I guess for general ski pics most cameras will do.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
el nombre,
I bought the Canon 220HS online here in Spain for €168 + postage €12 just 4 weeks ago.
I'm very pleased with it so far, a big plus for me was the ability to zoom whilst videoing as most others in the compact/price range do not.
Controls are good and intuitive, and there are manual options for several things. However I mostly use it on Auto. Video is high definition and most impressive. Fits nicely in the pocket too, I wanted the red version but ended up with the black one. I also bought an 8Gb SD card and a spare battery, beware though the Canon OEM battery is very expensive, mine came from Hong Kong at £4.50 (but £48 at Dixons)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
if you want manual controls you could do a lot worse than a 2nd hand Canon G9 off ebay
i'm quite a fan of panasonic compacts (having had an LX3 and replaced it with an LX5) but not sure you'd get something with manual controls within your budget unless you go second hand
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, The Ixus 100 (SD780) has an optical viewfinder Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum,
Quote:

Megamum, The Ixus 100 (SD780) has an optical viewfinder

Talking to yourself again? wink

el nombre, Optical viewfinder is a must for me, often you can't see the LCD on a bright day in the snow. The other thing for skiing is shutter delay which you can find listed on this website
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
el nombre, I looked last year, the absolute winner in terms of a decent burst mode was the Sony DSC-TX5 , added benefit of being shock resistant and waterproof.

Quick google of some reviews reveals this conclusion from http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_cybershot_dsc_tx5_review/conclusion/

Quote:
Tougher than it looks with its neatly diminutive dimensions, Sony's TX5 is a camera you'll find yourself readily slipping into a pocket when heading out for the day. You may not take your best and most admired shots with it - you'll need a budget DSLR you could otherwise snag for a similar asking price for that - but with the camera about your person you're sure to take ones that you otherwise wouldn't have.

That's the case too with the TX5's less run-of-the-mill features such as Twilight and even more unique Panorama Sweep mode. Both of these encourage further experimentation, and that's not what we'd normally expect from a snapshot camera. Add in the fact that you can use this camera not only in the dark but also in the rain, the cold and at the beach, and you have a versatile travel tool that won't take up much space at all in your luggage. It shoots HD video too, so all the latest must-haves are covered in the one package.

Some pics I took using it:

[img]
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Blackrock Cottage, Glencoe?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
altis, yeh Glencoe, not sure of the cottage name, but on your right as you drive to the ski area...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
altis, yeh Glencoe, not sure of the cottage name, but on your right as you drive to the ski area...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the replies. Using Altis' link at the top I found this group test which is pretty interesting http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q210grouptravelzoom/ It's looking like the Casio EX-FH100 is pretty hard to beat although pretty closely followed by the Samsung WB650 (I think i'd still go for the WB600 though).

Tha casio has one of the widest lens, HD video, shooting up to 1000fps although quality is utter crap so i probably wouldn't using anything past 240fps I don't think.
http://youtube.com/v/U3JfGw8YfeQ shows it pretty well. Also has some basic manual adjustments that I can ruin photos with. The Samsung's video is whats putting me off mainly but the price is keeping it in contention. Anyone had any experience with the Casio by any chance?
snow report
woops, double post.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
That's the one. It belongs to the Scottish Ladies MC. I've stayed there once many years ago. It's cosy but the facilities are a bit primitive. IIRC, you have to pump the water out of the stream through a filter and there is another pump for the toilets.

http://www.ladiesscottishclimbingclub.org/htm/huts.htm

I nearly bought the Casio EX-F1 when they first came out but was eventually put off by the poor lens quality and clumsy user interface. This doesn't mean to say that this new one will be the same!
ski holidays
I'd second the idea of a used Canon G series. Particularly if you want the ability to take half decent action shots and manual control options. Compacts in the sub £200 bracket are pretty decent for taking general still shots, but autofocus on moving subjects is very hit and miss and shutter lag can be a major pain.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy